1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade in Price for a 2002 S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Rob_P, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Rob_P

Rob_P New Member

Hi all,

Been a lurker on here for a while, lots of useful information! Hoping someone can give some advice.

I'm having to change my 2002 S3 (225 bhp) for a 5 door due to a baby on the way. Decided I quite fancy an A3 2.0 TDi Sportback Sport DSG and have an offer of £7500 for my car on part exchange. This to me sounds a good deal, though I just want to make sure. The car is in great condition, just coming up to 50k miles, in silver with leather and blue alcantera seats which I think look great. Full service history, cambelt and water pump changed in the last year and I finally had to get a new battery the other week as, what I suspect was the original battery, finally gave up.

So, is the trade in price good? I had a look at a few threads on here but there seems to be quite a range of prices depending on condition and mileage.

Thanks for reading! Sorry for waffling! :)
  2. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

sounds alright to me consdiering what they seem to be going for, my guess is the car your buying is on the higher price side.......
  3. mk1chopper

mk1chopper Missing the S3

Sounds good to me but are they selling you the A3 at a higher than average price?
  4. Rob_P

Rob_P New Member

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear I'm not massively out!

I'm looking for a 5 year old A3 2.0 TDI Sport DSG sportback, so I'm hoping to find one around the £12k mark and knock them down a bit. Only problem is the garage I'm going through don't have this car so he's sourcing it from the Audi Network which means that he only gets the car in if I want to buy it so there's no real pressure for him to sell. Currently been offered a very low mileage example (38k miles) but for £5400 on top of my trade in, I did manage to get him down to £5000 with very little effort but I had originally budgetted £4000 + my car. I suspect he is factoring in the good trade in price and inflating the cost of the car I'm buying.

I'm not in a massive rush at this point and am being cautious as I've only just started looking. I can see other examples of what I want on the Audi network for around £12k so am hopeful I can buy within budget.
  5. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

Well put it this way, mine on 69k, 02 reg FASH was 7.7k. I know this is trade in prices, so going to be lower than private sale, but that figure seems low to me. Plenty of dealers/private sales going for 9k+ on PistonHeads etc.

Personally would print off a few examples that you can find, in your condition/age/mileage and use those to get to 8k or more.

For the time and effort, could be worth 500-1000£.

edit; I bought mine less than three months ago, to clarify.
  6. Rob_P

Rob_P New Member

The only thing with looking on Pistonheads is that the adverts might be saying £9k but I wonder how much they actually went for? If you got yours for £7.7k I don't think £200 less for trade in is bad at all. Glass guide says £7k trade in for excellent condition.

I did notice that there are 3 cars from the Audi network available at the moment which are priced from £10k to £12.3k. Not sure how much it costs the dealership but I can't imagine they need to spend much to get my car ready for sale, and even factoring in a warranty I imagine they will make a reasonable profit.
  7. JD09

Precisely chap. In all honesty, I use the trade in price the other way around. When I was looking to buy my second car I went through a few ideas (Focus RS, ST, few others) and always asked the lowest cash price. Then went to the dealers, asked what I would get for trade in against a new car (always Audi as there was a possibility that I would buy a brand new A3 2TFSI and they knew this) and use this to barter with.

Worth asking a generic dealer as they all share a system that informs them of three prices; excellent, average and bad condition.
  8. mk1chopper

mk1chopper Missing the S3

If buying through audi, if they wont shift on there price get them to throw in as many extras as possible i.e. free service's extended warrenty
  9. Rob_P

Rob_P New Member

Now that is a good idea! With a baby on the way it would be very useful to know I'm not going to have to spend much on the car!

Thank you everyone, a wealth of information!
  10. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

a lot of dealers nowadays will give you a jhigh part ex and roll the extra cost into the car your buying - this stops you going to another garage - well, reduces the chances as most custs base a sale on what they get for their cars
  11. Pete20vt

Pete20vt Supermoto Junkie

With that milage i'd go for a private sale, i know somone who just paid 8k for a minter with 64k on it :whistle2:
  12. JD09

Absolute red on Pistonheads?
  13. finesse

finesse Active Member

good offer
  14. Rob_P

Rob_P New Member

Yes, looks like the offer of £7.5k was being coupled with an extra £1k on the price of any car I was being shown...

Private sale it is.