Traction control light!!!

simers

Reaction score
Since I lowered my A4 the traction control has been taking the mick out of me.. It keeps kicking in so therefore I have to have it on at all times.. Only thing is it doesn't seem to work. It will light up front wheels in 1st 2nd and 3rd no problem at all.. It's doing my head in.. Any help appreciated...
Simon

It kicks in when you are driving along when the light is off.. The road could be dry and all.. You could be doing 50mph and all of a sudden it kicks in.. After a while of driving too the light just comes on on the dash

It kicks in when you are driving along when the light is off.. The road could be dry and all.. You could be doing 50mph and all of a sudden it kicks in.. After a while of driving too the light just comes on on the dash

Do you actually mean it "kixks in" as in reduces power? or do you just mean the light comes on?

my light comes on every now and then and its probably down to an iffy connection. TC still works ok when light is off and its wet.

Do you actually mean it "kixks in" as in reduces power? or do you just mean the light comes on?

my light comes on every now and then and its probably down to an iffy connection. TC still works ok when light is off and its wet.

Yes it slows you down majorly... It's like you stood on the brakes for a few seconds

get vcds and check all the sensors are working ok.
+1 For the traction control to kick in it's getting signals from the ABS sensors that suggest one driven wheel is turning slower than the other, which suggests either an ABS sensor problem - so worth checking for fault codes with VCDS.

Hi all, I also have an ESP problem. When i start the car, all is fine then a few miles in to a journey my ESP comes on and i cant accelerate. This is where it gets interesting - when i try and accelerate with this problem, the car judders when revs as if something is blocked and light smoke comes from the exhaust. The smoke doesn't smell like brakes or clutch and the fault is intermittent. After checking the MAF / EGR / front ABS sensors, I took it for a spin and although it did it again, it took longer to do so (coincidence?) and when it did do it again, I seemed to be able to rev through it whilst stationary. At my wits end, i sat on my driveway with it idling and the ESP light would come on without me doing anything... Hopefully getting it scanned today - does this sound familiar or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Definitely check out the reluctor rings and abs sensors, might be that a ring is cracked, or as mentioned full of crap..

If it just see's a change in speed from the sensors, it probably won't register a fault, and just operate as you've said, if the difference is severe enough it might even brake the faster wheel, to bring in a limited slip diff effect.
Only if it loses a sensor altogether will it register a fault.
Does the esp light flash quickly whilst this is happening??

Reactions: wheymonster
Hi all, I also have an ESP problem. When i start the car, all is fine then a few miles in to a journey my ESP comes on and i cant accelerate. This is where it gets interesting - when i try and accelerate with this problem, the car judders when revs as if something is blocked and light smoke comes from the exhaust. The smoke doesn't smell like brakes or clutch and the fault is intermittent. After checking the MAF / EGR / front ABS sensors, I took it for a spin and although it did it again, it took longer to do so (coincidence?) and when it did do it again, I seemed to be able to rev through it whilst stationary. At my wits end, i sat on my driveway with it idling and the ESP light would come on without me doing anything... Hopefully getting it scanned today - does this sound familiar or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
I had a Cavalier that did that once, when the ignition was turned on the ABS light would sometimes stay on, I'd turn the ign off, roll the car forwards a foot or so, ignition on again and the ABS would be fine.
It stored two faults, one didn't even exist, and one to say ABS ECU fault.. handy..
Turned out to be a dodgy wheel sensor, the dam thing was so corroded, and the bolts felt like they where mad of cheese, it stayed as it was..

I have this on my b6 only comes on after along trip or booting it didn't notice anything until the other day got out and my rear brake was red hot so think my caliper has got abit sticky :)

Firstly, thanks for your replies. Secondly, the problem is very intermittent and the light comes on and off but doesn't really flash like it does if I am in snow. I cleaned the front ABS sensors and the problem became less frequent but came back which made me think that ABS was the problem until I unplugged the ABS main loom and the problem didnt go away. When i try and accelerate, it is almost like i havent fully disengaged the clutch - turn off the engine and back on and the problem goes for a bit. I did notice the P/S brakes being red hot last week though after a 10 mile drive (non motor way) - I rarely drive the car hard either so its a bit of a surprise problem.

If it wasn't for the fact it would fail the mot I'd disable the traction control permanently.

I'm not convinced that it the TC is to blame, i think that there is a sensor problem somewhere which is telling the traction control to kick in but i was told that if i disconnect the main PAS loom and it does it again, i can rule out the abs sensors. Im hopefully getting it scanned tomorrow so hopefully it is a sensor or atleast i know what the problem is. Nightmare!

Hey,
I had a BMW320d that had the same issue last year, I would be going down the motorway at 70mph, traction light started flashing and I lost all power. Then it came up with an ABS fault. It turned out it was the ABS module that was faulty. Its quite a common issue on the BMW/ VW's etc so might be worth looking into as well. They can be reconditioned if it is at fault. But check all the cheaper easier things first.

Cheers

Al

Someone else has suggested that and apparently its really expensive because you need it re coding etc. I hope its not that though!

I'm a bit, if it's fitted it must work and everything does (apart from aircon), but traction control is so not necessary! I switch it off when wet and the abs still kicks in no problem. The traction control is a gimmick!!!

If you send off your unit it can be repaired for under £200, as its the existing unit there is no need for recoding.

Cheers Al