Traction control (ESP) coming on when engine cold (1.9 TDI 130)

michaelab

Reaction score
The other day as I was joining a motorway (engine still cold) the traction control suddenly kicked in for no apparent reason, and what's worse is that it didn't disengage, so I could no longer accelerate. Every time I pressed the accelerator I got the typical stuttering of the ESP suppressing the throttle. Pulled over to the hard shoulder, switched the ignition off and then on and the problem went away and didn't come back for the rest of my 200 mile journey.
The next day, I started the engine from cold and the ESP immediately kicked in, making even the idle super rough. It was stuttering so much I could barely get the revs above 1k. Cycle the ignition and it all went back to normal, followed by another 200 miles without any issues. Since then it's happened on and off, but only when the engine is cold. Any ideas? I don't have VAGCOM or any way to read fault codes.

Its unfortunate that you don't have VCDS as thats where you need to start... get into the FAQs where the 'read first' thread details how you can get VCDS cheaply... failing that have a look in the VCDS section on the map and see if there are any members near you willing to scan your car... as this is what you need to do next...

<tuffty/>

I'll take it to my mechanic (ex VAG) who can read the codes and hopefully make a diagnosis. I know I'm going to sound like "grumpy old man" when I say this but IMO it's a shame that the solution for any car problem these days boils down to "read the fault codes" :-( I guess it's because so much of the car is controlled by computer. In the "good old days" you could mention a symptom and an experienced mechanic / owner would be able to say "It's probably x or y".

As someone with a Mac (no PCs) the only version of VCDS that would work for me is VCDS Mobile (which as far as I know is a self contained widget that creates a local WiFi network to which you can connect any web client) which costs 300 GBP or more. I just can't justify that expense for the very few times I would use it.

Its the way of things on these cars dude...

The fault you describe sounds like a sensor issue...scanning will cut the diagnostics time down drastically as well as potential cost...

ESP is reliant on a whole bank of sensors... diagnosing it with replace and hope could cost you much more than buying the software at the end of the day

Sounds more likely to be an ABS sensor or the cable to the sensor... scanning the ABS module may bring up a sensor implausible signal fault on one of the ABS sensors... doesn't always throw the ABS light on as its still technically working and hasn't faulted enough for the ABS module to get upset about

Sensors are 20/30 quid each... ESP also uses a steering wheel angle sensor, brake pressure switches, and g-sensors... all of which could add up to 500 or more quid to replace...

£10 ebay lead and VCDS light (free) on a cheap windows netbook to read fault codes is a bit cheaper :)

<tuffty/>