1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tracking

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by themikeyboosh, Mar 7, 2013.

1. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    Hi,

Just had a new tyre fitted, there was a lot of wear on the inside so got it tracked. He said it was -4 on one side and something on the other that I didn't catch.

Anyway, now I have to have the steering at about 11:30 for it to go straight and when I leave go it creeps back round towards 12:00. I took it back today and they have checked and said it was bang on. I saw the laser at it was on 0 both sides.

Before I had the tracking done it felt arrow straight, but the tyre wear says otherwise I suppose.

What is going on here I don't understand!

Thanks for any advise.

Mike
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    Perhaps the worn tyres are not helping. To test, try swapping rears to front.
  4. Rom

Rom Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    They tracked it with the new tyres one right..

Steering off center and pulling is tracking issue. Either in correctly adjusted, or something's bent / worn. But that should show on the equipment.

Rear toe can also make car pull, did you have just front alignment? Though that wouldn't alter steering wheel.

The steering wheel should be clamped straight before they adjust, or you can have perfect tracking, but steering wheel can be off.

Upload a photo of the printout.
    What's the tyre like that was left on?
  5. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    Yes they tracked it with the new tyre, and I actually tried another one and it is just the same.

Just the front yes, I think he said he couldn't do the rear? It's a fwd a3. I can't check the other side front tyre now but I will do. I didn't get a print out.
  6. leeds2592

leeds2592 When I grow up, I want a 964!

[Mar 7, 2013]
    Go to a place with Hunters equipment that do proper 4 wheel alignment. You'll get a print out so you know exactly what's been changed and by how much.

This website (Welcome to Align My Car) will find you you're nearest garage that does it.
  7. themikeyboosh

themikeyboosh Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    Cheers. None within an hour!
  8. phil76

phil76 Active Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    I agree with Rom -4 degrees is a fair way out to be honest so they maybe trying to align it with a bent rack arm or something worn and has too much play in it,i have seen many places just bang cars on the ramp and align them to what the car should be without checking if things are straight,so basically they are adjusting the other corners to bring the out of align wheels figures in to the green
  9. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Mar 7, 2013]
    If you only had 1 tyre replaced, the worn one may be be dragging the car to the side, dependent on the wear. If your worn tyre is below a certain level of wear, the circumference will be smaller than the new tyre and cause the car to steer to that side.

You're supposed to replace both across the same axle for the above reason, stop skimping and buy another tyre. :)
  10. phil76

phil76 Active Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    We also have this a lot at work as we do accident repairs but they cant understand one bald tyre and one brand new one dont work and still insist our repairs or wheel alignment machine is to blame
  11. nige.m

nige.m New Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    I have given up having it done in places that use laser and mirrors. 4 wheel computerised is the way to go. Its worth the travel.
  12. Geoff_UK

Geoff_UK Member

[Mar 7, 2013]
    I had a nightmare with mine after ATS "tried" to sort the tracking out after having new tyres fitted. After spending an entire afternoon at their place, the car was near enough undrivable.

I phoned the lease company and they told me to take it to a main dealer and it's spot on now. The dealer said that everything was out of adjustment - front and rear !!