1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Track Rod end seized

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by JohnboyC, May 28, 2008.

1. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

[May 28, 2008]
    Went to get my tracking checked today on my A4 Avant Q Sport 2.5TDi cos the inside of my front tyres are wearing out......so the bloke checked it and found the front tracking to be out.....obviously I want to get the tracking set correctly before I get front tyres replaced.....

The offside was no probs and the tracking could be adjusted, BUT the nearside part of the steering rack that screws onto the thread that hangs out of the track rod end is seized....the bloke reckoned that on B6 A4's this is a common problem....if he tried forcing the end of the steering rack nut bit, this would shatter the plastic insert inside the track rod end.....(Note that I am not talking about the locking nut which freed up no problem)

..have soaked it in WD40 this evening in the vain hope it may release it.....otherwise its £69+VAT at the local independant to change it....not going to break the bank but a niggly **** problem I could do without....

Is this YET another completley **** bit of Audi Design......car is 4.5 years old...only done 39K miles...cannot believe the track rod end has plastic inserts in it !!!!

Anyone got any ideas how this can be sorted by me at home or do I simply get the Track Rod end changed ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 25, 2014]

3. bonerp

bonerp Member

[May 28, 2008]
    dunno about how to change it but ur right about **** audi design.

My heater unit is f00ked after just 6 years and already had replaced the alternator, and all the pulleys cos they let go twice! Thats without taking into consideration chocolate bushes which have been replaced!

Im considering a new car soon but really dont know what to buy.

I'd like an A5 but the faults and attitude of my local dealers leaves much to be desired! It wont be another Audi anyway based on that.

Was looking at an 520d M spec but cant imagine BMs are much better either!

Paul
  4. JohnboyC

JohnboyC Member

[May 28, 2008]
    I test drove my mates 2007 325 TD Sport estate....what a cracking car - drove really well, and a supurb 6 pot engine as well. Quite a heavy drive but feels significantly more solid than my 2.5TDi Q Sport....

I left BMWs, having owned them for 10 years to have an Audi, cos I prefer the Avant Sport styling to that of teh equivalent BMW.....but considering that it costs £500 to have a Cam belt done on my 2.5 TDi and I keep encountering totally rubbish design in the Audi I may well jump back to BMW diesel next !
  5. Marko

Marko Member

[May 29, 2008]
    Indeed there are many flaws that have had me wondering about another car. I was looking at Alfa's for a while but they are prone to more issues. Also the design is not a sweet as the Audi.

Coomon problems I'm aware of, temp gauge knackered, water in plenum (causing all kinds of woes, as I've had it), seizing steering arms, water ingress to electrics, dodgy connections on electrics, stiff 1st to 2nd on gearbox and that bl00dy engine shake!! I have not managed to fix the latter two yet!!! :(
  6. evilscotsman

evilscotsman Space Cowboy

[May 30, 2008]
    I had an Alfa 156 JTD, handled and drove superbly, but fall to bits when you shut the door too hard :)

Ive still got it :(

Anyway, the Audi has been good so far, but needs bushes, and a non klonky shift. The older ones were better made than this!

My next car methinks, in 2 years time will be an SLK. Mercedes have **** customer service but I can't leave German cars alone and Ive never had an SLK. The rest are ugly except the Avant Garde saloon. Oh and did i mention the SLK? LOL

Is that engine shake only on tickover? Try a new injector - one may have weak pressure at T/O or be sticky inside on low pressure. Tride Injector magic or Redex?
  7. alfafan100

alfafan100 alfafan100

[Apr 8, 2010]
    I've owned audi's for the last 10 plus years from audi 80's , S2 coupes, A4 ..
    I always fancied an alfa but the ingrained perception that it would fall to bits put me off.
    Well 3 years ago i bought a 2.0ltr twinspark sportwagon in pristine condition low mileage , i owner etc. And can report that it has cost no more to run than any audi
    i have owned in the past, and for a 2 litre twinspark twincam it goes like stink and returns 30mpg, my S2 was quicker but you were lucky to get18mpg on a good day.
    Its well screwed together, for a 8 year old its still like new in and out drives smoothly and has never let me down, better looking than any audi too, and once you've
    owned an Italian car it becomes addictive, next on the list is a gtv in alfa red, 1x owner of course.
    As long as the car is serviced to schedule and no skimping i have found mine to be as reliable as any other car i've owned.
    Also mine does not use a drop of oil between 6 month oil changes. I'm glad clarkson runs them down as i don't want them to be too common, audis a few years ago were like alfa rare, unlike bmw.
  8. alfafan100

alfafan100 alfafan100

[Apr 8, 2010]
    The only audi i like at the moment apart from the 20v ur quattro is the a4 avant both these cars are great to look at and drive , but the rest a bit too uninspiring maybe Walter de silva of alfa fame can inject some soul now he's moved on to VAG.. What i'm saying is i used to be obsessed with just audi for about 12 years, joined all the clubs, audi owners was best imo Andy Bowskill does a great job. By being blinkered i missed out on 595 abarths, lancia delta evos, 3.0 quad cam alfa gtv's (busso ferrari engine in gtv) all underpriced for what they are, ie designed by Bertone, Pinninfarina, vignale, lampredi, Walter de silva, colombo, now i'm obsessed all over again
    Just realised how old these post are sorry.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  9. A4 nut

A4 nut Member

[Apr 8, 2010]
    We've found the one in a million!:)
  10. alfafan100

alfafan100 alfafan100

[Apr 8, 2010]
    Well i used to be a complete audi nut since 1995, joined audi owners club i knew Andy Bowskill quite well was inhis club for years, club audi was ok a bit stuffy i thought.
    I never gave any other marque a try, i was obsessed but after moving over to the latin side i have realised what i've been missing all these years.
    If i could go back a few years maybe i could have tried a few old abarths, or lancia deltas, fiat coupe turbos, all very reasonably priced for what they are.
    All engineered by ferrari/ fiat engine and styling masters.
    Bertone, pinninfarina, walter de silva of course vignaleetc now i'm becoming the same with the italian cars, audi and alfa have a link its a machine for the enthusiast without badge snobbery.
  11. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Apr 8, 2010]
    ha im thinking the guy has left audi by now :icon_thumright:
  12. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 8, 2010]
    Italian cars rock. I've had four Lancia's - certainly no less reliable than my A4. My dad had a twin spark 164 which did 140k in 3 years and never missed a beat, followed by a 155 V6 which did 80k in 2 years and was also faultless (although panel fit left a bit to be desired...)
  13. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Apr 8, 2010]
    im thinking its how we look after them i had a vaxhall cav 2000 gsi 16v and loved it for th 6 years i had it sold it on with 220k on the clock
    and at the time was still going strong very good car. but you do get the bad ones too in all makes im thinking i had a vaxhal vectra sri after that and
    hated the blody thing just keeped chucking money at it hate hate vaxhal now lol
  14. A4 nut

A4 nut Member

[Apr 8, 2010]
    If it aint got four rings i dont want to know!
  15. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Apr 8, 2010]
    ha now your name makes sence a4nut
  16. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Apr 8, 2010]
    I saw an Integrale Evo II at the weekend - over 15 years old and still has as much, if not more presence than an RS4.
  17. alfafan100

alfafan100 alfafan100

[Apr 8, 2010]
    I used to be the same, the four rings looked great on my S2 my favourite car which i owned 10 years ago, i got a bit obsessive with it and spent nearly £2000 one year on servicing and maintenance, ie tappets changed all 20, sensors on engine abs etc + fuel, sold it 2 years later and regretted it as i moved on to a A4 which was uncomfortable with the hard seats, harder than the s2's, and a bit dull to drive.
    Last one i owned was a 2.5 diesel avant which was rapid but i need the excitement back without spending a fortune, thats why i took another look at alfa, glad i did these cars are undervalued for what they are, i wouldn't post this on a bmw site don't want alfa to become too common it would spoil the exclusivity of owning a great drivers car.
    I'm not recommending an alfa, i got lucky mine has full dealer history 1x lady owner etc, a lot of owners on the alfa forums seem to have purchaced lemons, ie thrashed and unloved, tread carefully to sort the peaches from the lemons. You can own an audi and alfa, i do and they are both great.( audi wifes car).
  18. alfafan100

alfafan100 alfafan100

[Apr 8, 2010]
    Anyway i'm still an audi fan always have been, just waiting for another great car like the ur quattro to ignite my enthusiasm.
    Alfa's are not perfect but thats part of the appeal, if it becomes too perfect it becomes sterile imo.
    I like the new Milano 1750 turbo, might just be tempted or 3.2 gtv it depends on how the fuel increases
    go really, not a diesel fan for vans not cars even if frugal.
  19. alfafan100

alfafan100 alfafan100

[Apr 8, 2010]
    Anyway came across this great forum while looking up track/ tie rod faults, had a faint tap yesterday under front of car, checked rods for movement all seems ok, could have been a stone on road?