Track/Hillclimb A3 1.8t

Guess you've looked at the categories for hill climbs if you're intending to use the car for them? Forced induction and some relatively minor mods (as in ripping out the rear seats) can put you up a few classes and up against some damn powerful cars.

Make it a monster and you'll be fine :D Unless you're doing it just for fun (but who races just for fun?! :p) or track days...

Well the thing is we are not sure what class we will be in yet, but we also have alot more planned then we have already done, so hopefully we will be a threat to some local hillclimb cars. We are also trying to make it a track monster. Ideally I would like to beat my bosses 300bhp cosworth powered Mx-5 up our local hill. 😊

Guess you got this?:http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/14/325_336_Specific_Regulations_for_Sprints_Hill_Climbs_and_Drag_Racing%28S%29.pdf

Essentially you times your engine capacity by 1.4 to get your NA equivalent capacity, so 1.8L*1.4= 2.52L, then it's all the niff naff and trivia that you can decide on will put you in standard production or modified
production category. But if you're just aiming to beat your boss then that's all that matters!

What's the hillclimb crowd like on Guernsey? Was at a local event in Cornwall last weekend and there were 100 or so cars, ranging from 1l Micras to F1 V12 powered single seaters. Think you'd be battling with the Scooby/Evo crew; if it's anything like it is over here then it's pretty competitive!! People throw silly money at their cars. Go show these Jap motors how it's done!

Haven't looked at that yet, cheers! We think we might be up against some stiff competion but should be fun. We will probably be in modified production. Well our normal events attract about 100 cars a bikes, but today we have the nationals which is always good to watch although the weather has taken a turn for the worse and we have rain and thunderstorms. Yeh i would love to beat some scoobys and evos up the hill.

Shafts are here and so are anti roll bars also kws are on there way, tyres have been ordered just need to order bushes, also lined up someone to do the spraying of new parts and then we can start assembly :rockwoot:

Reactions: craigt1985
Hi guys did you rip out your central locking stuff?
I started pulling redundant wiring out sunday. What a horrible sticky job that it!
One of the biggest looms goes to the locking pump. 3 connector blocks from memory.have you removed all that?
Cheers guys keep up the good work!!

Yeah we have taken all the central locking out. Yeah the wiring is a very sticky horrible job. I will upload some photos of where we are at tonight.

It's on the ramp at the moment but will do my best. Your probably further ahead then we are. I am waiting on some stuff to arrive to finish the interior off for this track day. We have 5 weeks to get the wishbones, hubs, sub frame and rear axel off blasted powder coated and reassembled and back on along with changing gearbox and clutch and steering rack, coilovers arbs, new bushes all round and new shafts. Then weld seats in decide on gear stick position and spray the front bumper. Fit new tyres to wheels and get spacers to match front to back.

My cars pretty empty tbh but i still have aircon, stereo and locking (not for long)
Just sucks for the most part i have to pay for labor. Just really slows progress when every 100 quid i spend on parts i spend similar on labour.
Looking forward to the pics!

Yeah I'm lucky in that aspect that Tim is a mechanic and I have a ramp I can use. Would offer to help but not a short drive up the road for me.

Wont get picture tonight, due to not getting the chance to work on it.

Booooo!!
Oh well as and when.
How much of the dash have you guys lost?

Yeh definatly see movement this weekend on the project and i little in the week days. We haven't lost any dash as of yeh, but obviously removed all air ducts so its a bit lighter, we think we might keep it as it is. So much to do in 38 days, but i feel confident it will be ready for testing at the track day.

Here is a little update, the weekend before last we removed the rear axle from the car, we then separated the hubs from the rear axle. Over the week we pushed the bushes out the axle and new/old wishbones. We then removed the bearings from our new/old hubs. We did removed the subframe to push the bushes out but then found it was past it, so nick has sourced one and it is on its way to us. We have sent our rear axle, front wishbones and hubs to get them powder coated.

Today we decided to do some more work. So we started by removing the rear shocks. We then removed the old steering rack as we have an S3 one to replace it. And then disconnected the drive shafts from the diff. We then removed the calipers and started to undo the strut top mounting nut...we quickly came to a hurdle because we didn't have the correct tools to undo the nut so we just drilled the middle out of the strut and dropped the strut, hub and drive shaft all in one.
We now have no suspension, steering or even any where to put a wheel on the car now.

We are ready to change the gearbox, clutch, sump, cambelt, steering rack, suspension, bearings, bushes and started motor within the next 30 days before the track day.

Right here we go, first off some pics of start and a bit of progress
View attachment 38184

Htc One 14 8 14 6470

Htc One 14 8 14 6666

Htc One 14 8 14 6732
Pile of Air Con

Tyres
Htc One 14 8 14 7102

Now the before
Htc One 14 8 14 7134

And after
Htc One 14 8 14 7240

Htc One 14 8 14 7235

Htc One 14 8 14 6462

Htc One 14 8 14 7205

Htc One 14 8 14 6936

Htc One 14 8 14 6934

Click to make larger. It annoys me when i look at threads on my phone and it loads a million photos whilst i am reading and and it jumps all over the place.

Reactions: craigt1985
Before anyone says i did deburr the gear knob after the photo because it looked gash and felt bad.

Right I believe if you click on the photo links they will show up. I was gutted after I sorted out actually putting long awaited photos up for it to all change in the morning.

Hopefully Tim won't be too tired from his flag football today and we will get a whole day on the Audi tomorrow. Does anyone know what part number the power steering bolts are to hold it onto the sub frame as I broke one taking it off. So will try and update as we go if not will do one (with pics) tomorrow evening.

i love how bare you got the dash are!!!
whats going back in?

The main dash piece is going back in for now and the lights/fuse cover but will remove the whole thing when roll cage is in and make a plate to hold switches and dials

so what have you removed from behind there?
dash out a big job?

Airbags are out all vents are out heater matrix is out blower is out and was easier to thin wires with it out. All sound deadening has gone and a few odds and ends

Not yet. Got no restrictions over here. No mot or anything like that. I'd like to be able to drive it to track days etc if possible.