TQS Specs/Options

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
What are the options/specs on the TQS?

All of the very few (3) I've seen, have half leather and cloth interior. Is this the Recaro setup?
Also, they have all had white dials. Was this an option from factory?

Reason I ask is I am on a hunt for a late 2000/2001 TQS Avant.

Any other pointers to look out for?

Cheers,

Dan

Half leather recaros in tqs trim
Xenon headlights
White dials (standard)
Heated seats
Armrest
Ski bag
Headlight washers
Bose
Double din stereo
Dont know if the 8J boleros were an option ?

Reactions: S4_dan
There all half leather but only very few have the S4/RS4 style recaros im one of the lucky few to have these fitted

Reactions: TTE Si
Most TQS's just have the standard sport seats (like you had in your old 2.8) but with the half leather trim.

Most also have single din radio.

Xenons were an option (again, rare)

They all had white dials, 7" boleros, TQS specific exhaust pipe, standard A4 bodywork, S4 spec chassis, TQS specific lowering kit.

Reactions: S4_dan and Bradderz_1988
Looks like mine had every option except for heated seats and 8" boleros. Not that it still has any left :)

Reactions: Bradderz_1988
Found a couple of TQS's. One is a saloon in Noggy blue with RS seats (like above) 263bhp (not sure what mods carried out but it was AMD who remapped it) Folding rear seats! Sat-nav, Bose, High miles circa 172k, 2000 x plate, but it is FULLY loaded from factory.

I've found an avant, also 2000 x, 122k miles. Normal recaro seats, seems to be a base TQS as in not many factory options fitted. No Bose.

Neither are close to me! Both are nice.

did all TQS come with the little KO3 turbo? I'm wondering what was done to the Noggy TQS to get that sort of power?

Cheers.

noggy one states 231, which is still far too high on std unit. I am guessing the owner was duped by amd and their happy roller from back in the day.

The std k03 maxs out around 200 BHP end of, no magic tuning will make it flow more. 2.5 k is a lot of money for it, just because it's blue IMHO

Yeah, I had been doing some research on tuning the 1.8TQS and all state the same. Did any TQS come with KO3s from the factory?

you could bolt on the aforementioned K03s from the 190hp B6, but it seems a lot of effort for not a huge gain? better to just buy a K250 or K280 hybrid.

Depends what you want from it i guess.

Looks like I'm not going alont the TQS route now. Been talking to a few people who say I will be disapointed with the performance of them standard. The cost to improve them to 250+ I can't justify right now, after doing a lot of research plus saving to buy our house.

I think another derv is the route I'll most likely be taking. One that I can put a blacksmoke map on it and 'do up' a bit. So B6 1.9tdi I think.

Unless any B5's cam be remapped via obd with blacksmoke?

Cheers,

Dan

The cloth needs a good clean on the drivers seat looks like my work clothes lol, but the leather is in decent condition with only a few creases on the bolsters.

I've got recaro pole positions in mine but I sometimes wish I had as like yours again on longer journeys

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 204
Reactions: Bradderz_1988
depends what your expecting in terms of performance.

A mapped PD130 is only going to make 180hp or so on the stock turbo, its almost certain that a mapped TQS on its standard turbo will be faster, or at least, not any slower.

So saying a TQS isnt fast enough, then buying a pd130 doesnt really make any sense?

To expand on that a bit, my mate has a Bora with a PD130 and a hybrid turbo. Probably making 210hp or thereabouts. The wifes TQS has a K300 hybrid, unmapped running actuator pressure (11psi), and probably around 230hp. A few months back we found ourselves side by side entering a dual carriageway off a roundabout, and ofcourse we both pegged it up to 70mph. There was nothing in it at all. I actually expected him to win, given the extra weight of the TQS vs the bora, but no, both cars, flat out, nothing in it at all. Had our hybrid been mapped and running proper boost, it'd have easily won. And thats against a mapped derv with a hybrid turbo.

Whats really interesting, is if you drive both cars seperately, the bora actually feels faster. The derv shove low down the revs makes it feel like a much more powerful engine. The TQS, due to it not being mapped feels a bit flat and has a slightly strange power curve. But once both are actually flat out, clearly thats not the case.

Last edited:
I'm not saying a derv would be faster after a remap. It's just cheaper to remap a derv on a budget. That along with the fact that there is no TQSs' for sale within a reasonable travelling distance. There is only one Avant I have found and it's 30 miles off the south coast.

Plenty of dervs around. Unless I look at Octavia 4x4 1.8t's which I assume is the same AJL engine at 180bhp/ Plenty of those for sale around me.

Octavia is a golf, so transverse engine and haldex quattro rather than torsen. Much more tuney bits around for them though, as unlike the TQS its a much more common platform, being related to the golf/A3 etc.

TQS is a rare car, so if you want one its sorta expected that your going to have to travel to get one. Theres only about 500 of them on the road.

When by dad bought his TQS last year we drove from central scotland to skegness to get it :p

Having selected a TQS i'm also not sure how you could consider a FWD car an alternative?

Clutching at straws I think! lol. Will see what comes of it.

My mate has told me tonight he might be selling his Type R Civic. Never owned a Honda, so may be tempted to have a look. I'm not sure wht I want anymore! lol. sod it, it's beer o'clock! :)

I feel my tqs is a little down on power (possibly due to my other car being a lot more powerful) but I kept up and passed my mate in his a6 all road 4.2 v8 last week joining a motorway. I was shocked.

I'll have to shelve the TQS idea for now. I've bought a 2004 2.0 tdi Touran (AZV engine!) which needs a few job doing. But once they're done, I'l be able to double the price on it and put that towards a TQS and have the funds to tune it and not affect my saving budget for the house! :)

Nice one.

My dads always telling me to do that (buy a fixer-upper and sell for profit) but i'd be worried that i'd end up stuck with it or end up making a loss.

I remember years ago when i was at uni he came across a MK2 Golf GTD which had "head gasket failure". It was cheap, and the plan was to fix it up and sell it on for a big profit, so we both chipped in and bought it. I ploughed a load of money into it (not that much in the grand scheme, but as a skint student at the time it was a lot of money) sorting out the cylinder head (skim/pressure test/gasket kit etc) as well as the time stipping and building it all back up. Fired it up and it was blowing smoke everywehre and after about 5 minutes running had turned the oil into a grey emulsion, exactly as it had been before the work. Clearly, it wasnt headgasket failure, probably a cracked block. In the end i simply didnt have any money left to do anything with it and ended up scrapping it.

I've bought a few cars over the years to break (including your old one infact) and always managed to turn a profit, but each time i'd done it, there was a reason behind it. Yours i bought for the gearbox for instance.

I miss that 2.8 Q Avant. Loved it.

This Touran needs £350 spending on it. 250 is for the common vag ESP light. The other bits are cv joint and wheel bearing. Oh and a damn good valet! Lol. Dog hairs galore in there.

It was very cheap and on my doorstep. Drives superb and should yield a very good result :)

I have a feeling the wife will want this Touran though. Lol.

Hmmmm, wonder what I could do to the derv shed?! Lol.

Nah, TQS one day!!