1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TQS rear shock upper mount

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by dubster67, Mar 27, 2012.

1. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Mar 27, 2012]
    Hi everyone,

ok I've started stripping the rear suspension on my TQS to rebush it, but I've found that the upper shock/spring mount(the metal can thingy (part number 8D0512341/2)) has quite a bit of rust on it ie some non standard holes. LOL.

Question is : should I just go and buy a new pair(approx £220 from dealers) or is a decent non rusty secondhand set a possibility considering the age of these cars now? Plus, what sort of price do you think I should pay for a used set?

TBH I'm tempted to go for new, means they should last another 12 years, and I wouldn't have to do any work to them before fitting etc. Route of least resistance and all that.

Any opinions/help greatly appreciated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 27, 2012]
    depending how bad they are you could always just weld it up and give it a good coat of paint.

I've seen photos of people cutting out the whole rear of the mount, and then welding a new piece of sheet steel onto the back of it.
  4. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Mar 27, 2012]
    They're not totally knackered. Just a couple of holes as far as I can see so far. So they could probably be welded as you say.

The real problem is me, I just hate doing stuff like that(call me a lazy sod).

I've done lots of rust removal and welding on previous cars, and just get depressed now when I see it.

So easy way out, albeit expensive, is favourite.

It's also one more thing I'd don't need, as rebushing the rear is going to be a fair amount of work, plus I'm still waiting on my Bilstein B12 suspension kit, still 3 weeks to go til it arrives. So much for German efficiency eh.
  5. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Mar 27, 2012]
    Holy **** that is spooky!

For why? Well I've just done abit more investigation as to the condition of the mounts(tapping with a hammer to get the rust off) and those couple of holes turned into a completely knackered back plate. So I would indeed need to cut out the whole rear piece and weld in a new plate.

Looks like new ones will be the quickest/easiest option.

Bugger.
  6. aragorn

[Mar 27, 2012]
  7. dubster67

dubster67 Member

[Mar 28, 2012]
    Thanks for the link, exactly what I was expecting to see after playing about with the mount and an angle grinder last night.

I had a closer at the mounts and all the strength is in the front face ie very thick metal. I think the back plate is just to close it off and and tie the two sides together, as the metal used is very thin in comparison.

So , since there is basically no rot in the front, I've decided I'm not giving Audi anymore of my money just yet, I'm going to weld a new back plate on.

I'm not a lazy sod afterall.

Thanks for the input/inspiration.

PS : do you know if B6 alloy rear calipers could be used on my B5? I think mine are starting to sieze.
  8. aragorn

[Mar 28, 2012]
    Not sure on the caliper. They'll probably bolt on, but wether the handbrake cable alignment and the offset is correct is a different matter!