1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TPMS

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by galewis, Dec 23, 2006.

1. galewis

galewis Member

2. Beddie

Beddie Member

Some coding with vagcom and the sensors that fit on the inside of the wheel rims X4 iirc...
  3. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

It works off the ABS, so with a bit of luck it might already be in place and just the switch and VAGCOM needed
  4. steve184

steve184 Active Member

no sensors on wheels with this system. it works by calculating the circumference of the tyre via the abs sensor - as pressure drops the circumference changes ever so slightly and it alarms when it does
  5. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Active Member

You mean it detects the circumference has reduced by comparing the revolution speed of the wheel compared to the other wheels? Clever!

Only problem with this is if all your tyres are under or over pressure by the same amount the system won't be able to tell althought this is a tad unlikely I'll grant you.
  6. Dandle

Dandle Member

It only works by remembering the wheel speed that you set it at(for all four wheels), if pressure drops then the wheel speeds up and you get an error.
  7. cjp2k

cjp2k Member

Same as the golf then, I specced it as I am useless at remembering to check my tyres.. and for £45 it seemed worth it
  8. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

Same as the MB B-Class as well although you get it for free in that ;)
  9. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

No way am I going to trust that. I think I'll stick to checking them myself once a week.
  10. RobinA3

RobinA3 Active Member

i am guessing this is not to be used as something that replaces the need to check your tyres weekly, i think its there so that if you have a nail or something in the tyre then you won't need to wait until you next do the check to find out its there.
  11. Beddie

Beddie Member

12. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Active Member

Yes but the wheel speeds up and slows down as the vehicle does so it needs some way of measuring a discrepancy in this speed after compensating for the vehicle's speed. The only ways I can see this being possible is if it measures the wheel speed relative to the other wheels or it if it has some way of knowing the vehicle's speed other than via the wheels.
  13. Dandle

Dandle Member

Yeah thats all id does, you pump your tyres up then set the system. If one wheel changes speed relative to the others then it sets of the warning. It actually works rather well. And gave me a warning with in 1/2 a mile when I changed tyre pressures on our car. Its only really to let you know if your car a developed a puncture while on a journey i guess. It was only £45 so well worth it in my book(same amount as a night in the pub).