TPMS - A3 2012 - Coding Issues? VCDS users please check!

Right tried the binary coding again today and it seems to have worked ... my binary code ended in 00 so once changed to 10 the Hex value changed from 3C to 3E. DIS shows tyre pressure option so I'll store and check tomorrow. Fingers crossed ...

I wasn't actually removing the last two digits and re-entering but selecting the single digit to change and over-writing it with the new value if this makes sense. User error!!

Nice one, if the TPMS doesn't show up orange and you have the option to store listed then you've cracked it. It takes about 100km / 60 miles to store the first tyre pressure data so make sure you check the pressures are right before you reset it. Enjoy.

I have followed the guide but when i get to channel 37 I only have a "1" should I just enter 1101?

When you get to channel 37 press test to show the stored value, then in the new value just change the x?xx from 0 to 1 as per the help box that pops up. then save it and press test again to see if it has taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a picture of the TPMS in action when coded in correctly and I am sure it only works from a certain model year unfortunately. Image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 442
We pressed test and all we got was the value of 1 :-(

Maybe you have an older module, i've seen this issue on other TPMS threads. This method works for MY10+ cars. If you hover over the stored value box do you get the help screen pop up which tells you what choices you have?

Maybe you have an older module, i've seen this issue on other TPMS threads. This method works for MY10+ cars. If you hover over the stored value box do you get the help screen pop up which tells you what choices you have?

Yes we did. I only had "brake pad wear indicator"

So today I decided to enable HHA after having TPMS working. HHA coding was accepted but then I got an EPS error and a TPMS malfunction error once I'd saved the code change. Any ideas why enabling HHA would have caused this? 1AT controller on 2011 A3.

If you have the wright module doing the below instrution should make it work, on my A3 2009 (ABS module finish with letters BJ) works just fine. :green:

First and foremost I have the MK60 ABS module.
Started off by doing the below:

17 - Instruments
- Security Access

1.jpg

---

17 - Instruments
- Coding
-- Added +16 to the first 4 digits. Changed it from 2060408 to 2076408
--- Do It!

At this point I did get a TPMS warning on the dials (See Image below)

2.jpg

---

17 - Instruments
- Adaption
-- Channel 037 -> Read
-- (If coded with 1101, just save)
--- If not insert the code 1101
----Test
----Save

3.jpg

(Its worth noting that the above 2 steps activate TPMS in the DIS)
---

03 - ABS / Brakes
- Coding
-- Long Coding Helper
--- Byte 16
--- Tick Bit 1 (if it doesn't appear like the picture below, go to binary and in the place of the second zero from your right put one)
---- Tick Bit 2

4.jpg

---
03 - ABS / Brakes
- Coding
-- Long Coding Helper
--- Byte 17
---- Tick Bit 2 (if it doesn't appear you should go to binary and in the third zero change it to 1)

Hi my s3 has a build date of May 2011 so would this work on my car, also is there anyone local to the croydon, surrey that would be willing to activate it for me for beer tokens.

Regards DaveDave

Hi Dave, Probably, it's something you just have to try.

It worked on my Jan 2011 registered (MY11 by Vin) 60 plate Sprint Blue Black Ed, as did Hill Hold Assist ( mine was a manual 6 speed)

However, and I find this ironic, I can't enable it on my later RS3, which is annoying, especially as I dont have a spare tyre as back up. The ABS module is locked.

Anyone in the south east, croydon , surrey. Fancy doing it for some beer tokens let me know.

Dave

Just enabled this on my S3, thanks for the info.

I have activated this on my10 S3 and since than I have had issues with my fuel gauge and I can not find what my original code was as when I take the +16 off it comes up on my dash with a suspention icon and a message with a steering wheel saying not on can anyone help.

Are you taking it off the first 4 digits?

When I was experimenting, i added it to the last 4 and the car thought it was LH drive. Easily mistaken.

It's been a while since I had my S3 MY10, but I should still have my notes/ previous settings. I'll check my laptop.

Last edited:
BEFORE TPMS

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8P0-920-xxx-17-MY8.clb
Part No SW: 8P0 920 982 L HW: 8P0 920 982 L
Component: KOMBIINSTR. VDO H01 0091
Revision: D0H01004 Serial number: 2249J004000645
Coding: 0261428

AFTER TPMS
Coding: 0277428

to add 0261 + 16 = 0277

I am not suggesting you use my old coding, just checking you are subtracting or adding in the right place.
This is also only one part of the changes required detailed in the earlier posts above

ALWAYS make a note of changes.

Reactions: s5joe
BEFORE TPMS

Coding: 0261428

AFTER TPMS
Coding: 0277428

to add 0261 + 16 = 0277

I am not suggesting you use my old coding, just checking you are subtracting or adding in the right place.
This is also only one part of the changes required detailed in the earlier posts above

ALWAYS make a note of changes.
Ok nice one

I guess yours can only work with button or you should use vcds to reset the light when it comes up.

I guess yours can only work with button or you should use vcds to reset the light when it comes up.

I activated it and it came up with warning on the dash, didn't scan though so might try that and clear fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same issue for me on 59 plate Black Edition. (MY10 I think)

Did get to the bottom of it?

Anyone else know?
Same for me, I only have the option of 2 digits in the adaptation to block 37

Reactions: Dannymoto
Mine was a Jan 2011 60 plate registered MY11 3dr Manual S3 BE

I have module 1K0907379BH

I have tried to enable HHA but it threw an error so turned it off again, will my unit support TPMS or is the fact HHA not working a sign that TPMS will not work either.

If it's any help my book has 1AT and 7K0 as listed options (this mod should convert 7K0 to 7K6) XDS is also enabled

Hi all. I have been following this thread for a while now as it seems I fall into the unique category of not being able to code instuments (address 17) correctly as it only allows 2 digit entry and not 4 as shown in guide. My car is MY2010. Currently I have narrowed it down to 2 possible reasons:
  1. The issue is with the instruments cluster itself. I see many users who have actually done this mod successfully to have p/n 8P0 920 983, mine is 8P0 920 982
  2. The issue is with central electric being base module and not highline. As I don't have TPMS switch and CE module is basic it doesn't make the 'bridge' (as user vsantos69 mentioned) to make the DIS aware that it can support this functionality... i guess?
I ordered a highline CE module, hoping this will solve it. I really hope its not the actual instruments cluster itself as I do not want to go through the banes of getting the milage corrected on whatever suitable cluster i source. Just thought I'd provide this update as it seems the MY2010 guys are still in limbo regarding this retrofit; I'll update again on my findings when new CE is installed and coded.

Update!

So after installing the highline CE module (which must have come out of a 5-door sportback) I was not able to see any additional coding features and instruments cluster coding was also the same. I was going to leave this new module in however even after giving it the exact same coding as my old module, the DIS still thought the car was 5-door sportback instead of 3-door hatch and my remote fobs got de-paired so I switched back to the old one.

During the brief time the highline module was in the car though I did go through the steps again for enabling TPMS and while it didn't seem to have any immediate effect, after several days something weird happend - TPMS all of sudden came to life and started giving me 'lower limit not reached (fault code 02214)' low tyre pressure warnings... The issue I have now is after inflating all the tyres to correct pressure I cannot clear the warning as I don't have the TPMS switch and I guess I need to have the 8P0 920 983 instrument cluser to be able to clear it from the menu. Fault clearning with VCDS doesn't get rid of it either; do i need to reset it somehow with the long coding/adaption options?

EDIT: Ignore above question, got the fault cleared via VCDS, just had to do it via the basic settings menu of the ABS controller.

Last edited: