Toyo proxes T1R's 205/40/17 any good for a s3?

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
I ned some new tyres for the black beast as they are pretty much illegal lol, anyway came across some tt comps with 205/40/17 toyo proxes t1r tyres.

Are they any good and also will they handle well on the s3? The kid says they have a slight stretch which i dont mind but id rather they handle good than look good.

Any thoghts?

I have run T1R's for years now, all be it 215 45's and they are great.

I tried FK452's but the wet grip wasn't as good.

If they are cheap then do it, you wont be disappointed.

Not wide enough IMO... there will no doubt be 'scene' peeps that will dispute that but going to a smaller size is a little silly... doesn't the insurance companies get uppity if you fit a 'lesser' tyre than was originally specified for the car?

<tuffty/>

Not wide enough IMO... there will no doubt be 'scene' peeps that will dispute that but going to a smaller size is a little silly... doesn't the insurance companies get uppity if you fit a 'lesser' tyre than was originally specified for the car?

<tuffty/>

I totally agree with tuffty, my best mate is a mobile tyre fitter and we've seen some right messes when people have stretched tyres.
Most of the accidents, bust rims, destroyed tyre Walls , cracked walls, wire coming through before tread used, have all been on vag cars aswell.

Stick to 225 width, and the tyres are awesome I'm a big fan of proxes.

Sean

not wide enough and not tall enough danny. 205/40 on TT comps is for a mk3 golf. On the S3 they'll look very lost indeed.

wrong tyre size, I had 205/40/17 fitted with some alloys i brought years ago. they were so crashy and horrible to drive with. if you can get them for cheap then buy and sell em on.

Thought so :(. Thought i could get some free tyres with the comps but not worth it. Ill just buy some new tyres and leave biying alloys until summer :), cheers lads.

If you get the wheels and want to move on the tires let me know; I won't say no to a set of 17" T1R's in any size.

Thanks for the offer jardo, if i wasnt skint and the comps didnt need refurbing id have take you up in the offer. The guys on ed38 whos selling the alloys, email him and see if hell split them :).

I had em in 225,40, R18 size,and they were absolutely ace.great grip no matter if its dry,wet,snow.
bad point is they quite expensive these days.

There's a lot of love for T1R's on here which surprises me, they must be noticeably better in 17's than 18's as I've just taken a set off and wasn't particularly impressed with them.

Cheap? Yes.
Dry grip? Ok.
Wet grip? Only marginally, and I mean marginally, better than a ling long ditch finder.
Steering feel? None existent.
Tyre wear? 10k-ish.

IMO spend a little more on a better (and correct size) tyre as they are well worth it.

I had some t1'r on the back of my car when I brought it which were legal, I was surprised how quickly they soon disappeared tho so now I run P-zero's all round which are great.

good gripping tyre tyre in all weather conditions due to the soft compound of these tyres, but as with all soft compound tyres wear is always an issue depending on driving style i had them on the a3 and i thought the wear was crap, maybe a heavy right foot??? 3 front pairs in 18months......... i didnt mind as the tyres were only on baby 16's so wasnt that expensive.

im giving the goodyear f1 azy 2's a whirl on the s3 though see how they perform.

im giving the goodyear f1 azy 2's a whirl on the s3 though see how they perform.

I've just moved to these on the S3. They're still wearing in but already the feel and wet weather grip/confidence is a noticeable improvement over the T1R's.

iv only just had a pair but on the back atm mate need to get a pair on the front asap.

The new bridgstones reo5oa are good, think the new name is s001 bridgestones if your after some. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I'm currently running the Goodyear eagle f1 assym 2 but will change soon to bridgestones as I prefer them now.

My new car comes with continental sport contact 3 from the factory looking forward to trying them out on a sootchucker!

Sean