Towing Adaptors & Welding

Mudplugger

Reaction score
I have the standard plug-in adaptor for my Allroad with a 50mm ball so I can tow a standard trailer; so far, so good.

However, I also have an ex-military trailer (3/4 tonne Sankey) that I used to tow behind my Land Rover, and I want to tow that using my Allroad too. It has the standard military hitch (i.e. a large "eye") and is intended to be clamped into a NATO hitch when being towed.

For various reasons I don't want to change the trailer hitch, which therefore leaves me trying to fit a NATO hitch on the back of my Allroad. It's not as tricky as it sounds as it's a simple 4-bolt fixing onto any vertical surface that is strong enough. The mounting is very similar to the 4-bolt fixings you sometimes see on the back of larger pick-ups that have a 5 tonne pin-hitch fitted, although the bolt-spacings are slightly different.

What I need therefore is simply a modified version of the Audi plug-in adaptor that has a 10mm thick (or thereabouts) vertical plate on the back, as a welded-on replacement for the standard 50mm ball. It's simple enough in concept :)

Does anybody know where I can buy such a thing from, or even if it exists?

Alternatively, can anybody recommend a properly certificated welder with the necessary skills to fabricate this for me, if given the standard Audi component as a starting point?

try and find a local fabrication shop or local engineering shop .who should sort you out with some plate and mig weld your hitch on. one of the lads may do it for bit of beer money in his lunch time....hope this helps p/s if you dont ask you wont get

whereabouts are you ?
I am qualified do it as am a coded welder:icon_thumright: as Martyn says a local fabbing shop could/should do it but if I were you I'd approach one of the workers on a tea break and get it done by them rather than ask the gaffer as they will charge you accordingly.

Last edited:
hi - if you are anywhere near Preston I can get this sorted for you.
Graham

Thanks everybody for the prompt advice many offers of help, they are all much appreciated :)

I measured the Sankey over the weekend to get the right height for my hitch, and will measure my Allroad next time it's parked on a level surface (my driveway slopes!) so I can work out how tall the plate needs to be.

All I need now is to find somebody breaking an A6 so I can buy a second plug-in adaptor to modify as I want to keep my standard 50mm ball for other trailers I have, and then find a local fabrication shop to visit while they're on a tea-break and I'm carrying some cash...

My only concern now remains whether the heat from the welding activity may damage the demount mechanism in the adaptor. Is this likely, or am I worrying about nothing?

just to add that if you where to get stopped by vosa and they notice that you have moddified the towbar on the car then you may get done for it, as all towbars from 1998 are type approved and designed and tested with the towbar how its made, also if your involved in an accident whilst towing the trailer the insureance company may refuse to pay out

im pretty sure that you can buy the adapators that convert a standard flange, 2 bolt fixing towbar into a smaller 4 hole one that your on about, but again this wouldnt fit the detachable swan neck type

only other option would be to change the full towbar to a fixed type one and fit a 2 bolt fixing ball and pin