1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

towbar wiring help

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by stu_m, Mar 1, 2011.

1. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 1, 2011]
    I hope someone can help me with this one!

Iive just got a towbar off ebay for my 2002 1.9tdi saloon

it says everything included

after a bit of looking about and readiing i keep seeing these smart relays popping up!!

i haven't got on of these

now my understanding is that they are to stop bulb errors on the dash?

if so then im hoping i can get away without one as my car doesnt have bulb error as its a low line model so i should be able to just wire up to the rear lights and include the buzzer i have been supplied with and not have the smart relay ?

can anyone confirm this for me please
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 27, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 1, 2011]
    Scottb is the man for this, I'm sure he'll be along later.
  4. scott b

scott b Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 1, 2011]
    if you dont have DIS/bulb warning system than you may get away, but as the car uses canbus wiring i personly would fit one, as ive found in the past on other cars, if you dont fit one it causes other problems like causing the indicator to flash once and then not work again till the battery was disconnect, you may also find that it over loads the cars circuit, for the price of a relay £10 - £15 its not worth chancing.

if you want a price on one, just pm us and can sort you one out, or if your local to me can wire it all up for you
  5. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 3, 2011]
    thanks for the reply Scott

i think i will play it safe like you say and get one then i have it for when i start doing full DIS etc lol
  6. snowball1969

snowball1969 Member

[Mar 4, 2011]
    I have just recently purchased a westfalia detachable towbar with 13 pin socket and was recommended to buy the audi wiring kit which was an additional £100 as this save cutting into wires etc and allows for programming the vehicle lights with the vagcom software for example the DIS will be able to detect if the bulbs are out on the caravan and will turn of the reversing lights and parking sensor on the car and just us the caravan reversing lights and parking sensors if fitted, the chap that installed this system took him over 6 hrs to do this job, this is not for amateurs.
    Dont be tempted to go cheap as you will end up paying for it in the end.
    The chap I used is called Gary Lawson his company name is Towbar Co in Amesbury Wiltshire
    Hope this helps
    Paul