Towbar suggestions/recommendations for A3 (8V) Cabriolet

smokeymike

Reaction score
I need to get a towbar fitted to carry 2 mountain bikes and have been quoted £1,000 inc VAT by my dealer to have a detachable swan neck towbar and electrics fitted. They also said I needed upgraded engine fans until I told them I was carrying bikes not pulling a 20ft caravan!
I believe Westfalia are the OEM suppliers to Audi. Is this right and has anyone had one fitted and at what cost. Price and photo's would be appreciated as I don't really want the rear valance cutting/disturbing if at all possible. I think Witter and Thule do bars for this car but would be intersted to know which make you've all gone for. The car is a TDI non-Quattro in case of any doubt.

Depends on the engine size, as the bigger engine the higher cost according to parts system, is it a 2.0 tdi?

I know it's not answering the question, but I had a towbar factory fitted to my new A3 saloon. I am absolutely delighted. The socket fits behind a removable flap in the rear valance and the electrics just hinge down.
The towball fits is a vertical socket right up by the boot.
When it's not there you just cannot see any trace.
But as it's so integrated, I would expect it to be £1000+ to fit after build.

Reactions: glospete
Depends on the engine size, as the bigger engine the higher cost according to parts system, is it a 2.0 tdi?

Yep, it's a 2.0TDI 150 S-Line.

I know it's not answering the question, but I had a towbar factory fitted to my new A3 saloon. I am absolutely delighted. The socket fits behind a removable flap in the rear valance and the electrics just hinge down.
The towball fits is a vertical socket right up by the boot.
When it's not there you just cannot see any trace.
But as it's so integrated, I would expect it to be £1000+ to fit after build.

Do you have any pictures of it??

I posted some pics of mine aaaaages ago on some thread, a search will probably bring them up