Towbar questions

Crazypete00

Reaction score
Hi all,

i need to fit a towbar to the S3, anyone know what the difference between the towbar that fits the a3 quattro and S3 and the towbar that fits all other A3's?

i basically need a cheap towbar just so i can put my bike carrier on it, detachable is preferred but will consider non-detachable. but must be towbar that requires no bumper cutting.

i've seen the westfalia ones but at £200 its more than i wanted to spend, i've seen a A3 one for £80.

Looked at the roof ones not sure how keen I am on lifting the bike onto the roof, what if I drop the bike on the roof.

Price wise it works out the same if I get the westfalia detectable one. But I can get an a3 detatachabe one for £60 but it says doesn't fit Quattro or s3 I'm just wondering If it says that because the bumper needs cutting, however I have a plan for that.

Are the racks that attach with straps and sucker no good then?

ye i have the rack on the back atm, straps make marks on the paint. i bought a more expensive rack today but it didnt hold the bike far enough off the car so the forks hit the rear bumper.

im trying to find out if the cross member that comes with the towball attached to is any different between the normal a3 and a3 quattro and s3 models

think the normal A3 wont fit the S3 because it would hit the exhaust. just fitted a westfalia swan neck to my 99 A3 and didn't need to cut the bumper !!! now i need help with the electric's ..lol

Don't suppose you took some pictures? I have one fitter on my a4, I tried to fit it to the s3 but the cross member holes were different. Wondering if the a3 and s3 holes are different.

I would have thaught the diff and exhaust would fail on the A3 tow bar, some cars were not homolagated to have a tow bar, ford never did this on the Mondeo ST220 , mainly because of the duel exhaust, making it illegal to tow anything, maybe Audi never homolagated the S3 either.