Tough Times - Change S3 to what??

Morning all,

I work in oil & gas industry and times are pretty tough just now. My work has paid off quite a few and have put the rest of us on a 4 day week. Will be losing at least a few hundred £ a month by looks of it probs more so not too good. :sob:

I am fortunate enough to own my S3 outright but at the same time I am conscious that a lot of my money is tied up in it!

Anyway so do I sell up and get something smaller and cheap little runaround fiesta/corsa etc..

or because I am accustomed to the finer things in life, not in a badge snobby way, but I like having a nice car, do I get an older car that is in same bracket or even higher bracket of class as S3??..

Having a look on Autotrader etc I am hopeful of getting at least £23k. Cheapest S3 for sale in normal condition (not cat D) is £25k so if I advertised at say £24k then that'd hopefully get some interest?!...

What would you do?

Cheers :)

How old is S3, Spec? mileage? Just seen 14 plate sport backs with 15k miles going for nearly £30k

how does that even make sense? you might be able to do an equal trade for the s3 to a focus rs. but you would be in exactly that same situation but with a crappier car.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
In what way, specifically to the S3?

Interior probably yes.

Steering No
Geometry No
Suspension No
Damping No
Drivers Car No
AWD system No (It's not Haldex)

The Focus will, be streets ahead in every single one of those areas, based on how poor the S3 is and based on the current standard Focus.

How soon you forget all the points brought up in this thread - I suggest a re-read:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-s3-new-focus-st-or-m135i.254387/

Reactions: AndyB-S3 and Pulp84
That's all very fair @veeeight

I would add to the list dealer service. Know lots of people who have woeful experiences with Audi after sales.

After my recent experience it really does make you really think twice about buying another Audi. I do not believe Ford would be any better or worse.

Considering where the brands are that shouldn't even be possible but unfortunately for Audi it is.

Reactions: veeeight and AndyB-S3
How old is S3, Spec? mileage? Just seen 14 plate sport backs with 15k miles going for nearly £30k
Its a 14 / 63 plate. Manual, 3dr, not many options. .tech and comfort packs.

Webuyanycar offering £ 20.5k;-(

Pretty certain i will keep it, well until the very last minute anyway. Fingers crossed i can impress on Monday at my interview and this thread becomes pointless. Lol. Then I can save up for my cayman/boxster gts. ;-)

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06, veeeight and 1 other person
In regards to after service my local dealer has been poor. Not overly helpful and anytime you have a problem you get the feeling it's just a hassle for them.. not good. I got much better service with toyota when i had an Aygo!

Reactions: veeeight
Trade in market is super depressed from what a few friends tell me in the trade.

Apparently all these cheap finance deals and discounts (I'm talking about you BMW), lots of people looking to change their car two years in to a four year PCP and general over supply do result in stupidly low book prices. It had to catch up at some point.

^ This.

All this "free money" deals, PCP, Golf R leasegate deals has to come home to roost.

It's not going to get any better anytime soon, the manufacturers are hooked, the public are hooked, I've seen deals for the new RS3 at £433 per month (6+35, 8k pa)

Reactions: Pulp84
resize618xgbr00lyyb1j51tt(a)(a)co3_1_0.png

flol , I don't get it ... looks ugly !!!

And another pic...

Reactions: Bainie
im not even talking about badges.. someone hasn't had their tea and crumpets yet.

its about them $ value of the s3 vs the $ value of the focus.
used s3 = new focus rs (maybe you would even have to drop MORE money for the focus)
And your still in the same financial situation..

im not even talking about badges.. someone hasn't had their tea and crumpets yet.

its about them $ value of the s3 vs the $ value of the focus.
used s3 = new focus rs (maybe you would even have to drop MORE money for the focus)
And your still in the same financial situation..

The phrase you used was that he'd end up with a "crappier car". Which we've establish isn't the case, by several measures.

Financially - you could argue that for the first 6 months the Focus RS would not depreciate, and the rate of his S3 depreciation would carry on, so, even that point is moot.

crap choices like this get people in more financial trouble.
enjoy!

Ford won't ever design a more aggressive looking focus like that again it had great Road presence stunning, 10 plates still sell for mid twenty k,but it was a heavy nosed car and torque steered very very badly
A classic in the making though
With a few tweaks they are very capable but again it means changing from stock

OP, get these new economy cars right here.

In my opinon 2016 Honda Civic touring sedan. It has more features than a base 8V. Looks better than a base 8V. I'm so proud that the economy car industry has stepped up their game in face of market share threat from the German manufactures entering the compact sedan market with their entry luxuries. Welcome gamegenie's top pics for 2016 economy cars that will make your luxury driving friend envy as his lux vehicle will likely lack features and look more dated. The 2016 Ford Focus RS, Honda Civic EX-L, Nissan Maxima, 2016 Chevy Volt: :racer:

Focus RS

Civic EX

Maxima Platinum

Chevy Volt

In what way, specifically to the S3?

Interior probably yes.

Steering No
Geometry No
Suspension No
Damping No
Drivers Car No
AWD system No (It's not Haldex)

The Focus will, be streets ahead in every single one of those areas, based on how poor the S3 is and based on the current standard Focus.

How soon you forget all the points brought up in this thread - I suggest a re-read:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-s3-new-focus-st-or-m135i.254387/
BORING
BORING
BORING

It does have driving lights though , always a bonus

Paul it has adaptive xenons with naff looking front fogs...not driving lights..the black alloys come with pilot sport cup alloys??? optional extra

Anyway's l far as gather first owners will take delivery come January,the motoring press a bit sooner,so not long to wait for there opinion's

but giving its mechanical/engine spec,the Ecoboost engines have No lag plus the time Ford have had to fine tune this car it should be very special indeed....the Golf R will be just a distant memory...until another bigger fish arrives......circles,circles...lol

And in this colour...no brainer. Lol.

Uploadfromtaptalk1445719539069

Remember when the standard answer on many threads was "Golf R" which then got abbreviated to the "G" word so we didn't upset people?

Well.....think the Focus RS has now taken that honour :yes:

We are going to have to think of a new code word for it. Think it might get mentioned muchly :whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Blackwhite and veeeight
The "F" word?

:lmfao:

Reactions: Jassyo06, AndyB-S3, Blackwhite and 1 other person
It's A RS E xperience

You know we are comparing the F against the S3 and not the RS3 ?

Wasn't saying anything about the RS3 promise :blush:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and RGBARGEE
You know we are comparing the F against the S3 and not the RS3 ?

We do indeed.........although for the life of me I still can't understand why!

I don't doubt for one nano-second that the driving experience will be sensational for the new RS, I still remember the critics raving about the MK1 so you can bet your life they've nailed it after two successive versions.

But that's where it ends for me. On what planet is the RS direct competition with an S3 in anything other than a drag or track race? Two completely different cars :)

Family hatchback bodyshell ? Check

4 wheel drive system ? Check

2.0 litre turbo 4 cylinder engine ? Check

:whistle2:

Buy one by all means but you'll be rubbing shoulders with the spotty oik brigade you mark my words :)

Your family and friends will disown you, your self-esteem will nose dive and you'll be too frightened to go out in case the neighbours see you and start sniggering behind the bushes ;)

Reactions: Ben Daniel Grant and Blackwhite
Paul it has adaptive xenons with naff looking front fogs...not driving lights..the black alloys come with pilot sport cup alloys??? optional extra

Anyway's l far as gather first owners will take delivery come January,the motoring press a bit sooner,so not long to wait for there opinion's

but giving its mechanical/engine spec,the Ecoboost engines have No lag plus the time Ford have had to fine tune this car it should be very special indeed....the Golf R will be just a distant memory...until another bigger fish arrives......circles,circles...lol
It's just not special enough looks bland dash is cack and seats are old news over , yes it might be a drivers dream but Iv had s mk1 rs and it wasn't that good , Iv had 3 mk2 rs and loved them , but my s3 was better on the ring and used less fuel

People claiming it will be awesome to drive based on a you tube review please people
Iv seen Astra vxrs wipe the floor with most things on the road and how bad did those cars get slatted back in 2006
We all but cars for different reasons I agree s3 dampers are poor beyond belief but I'm looking forward to the capabilities of the car when I change them

People claiming it will be awesome to drive based on a you tube review please people

Well it's not likely to be worse than previous versions surely? Only Audi do that (err, allegedly) ;)

The 2 pictures which make it look good are both auto car photoshopped pics , if it looked like that in the flesh it would look better than it does . Mk2 was spot on , test drove one the same day as the S3 and have to say I was tempted , but the mk3 is a cop out for me . I am no badge snob, I have had 3 vxrs after all ! I went on the ford site for a look , as I was interested , and the pic I posted is the first one you get from ford , hardly a hard sell !