Torque setting for cam cover bolts?

ButcherV6

Live Fast Die Smiling
Reaction score
Hi all, can anyone tell be the torque settings for the cam (rocker) cover bolts on my 98 2.4 V6? Iv got a very slight oil leak so I'm going to remove and re seal with some instant gasket just need the torque settings. Thanks.

elsa says you specifically need liquid gasket on the corners where the cam cover humps up to clear the cams.

cyl head cover bolts are 10nm (i guess theyre M6 bolts?)

if so 10nm is spot on

ye, its barely more than finger tight.

I managed to strip one of mine after changing the rocker gasket, doing them up hand tight with a 3/8 drive ratchet...

id definately tackle that with a torque wrench, do it in the usual axial pattern blah blah blah. new gasket and some liquid gasket on the humps and youll be done.

i have a nice draper one, 10nm to 70nm then a big 1/2 drive one. 30nm (i think) to beyond 200nm for bigger bolts, suspension bits etc

I had the same scenario with my cam-belt cover, no torque figure given in the Haynes manual (bonfire fuel) so I did them using my built-in "that feels about right" human torque wrench. Well, my girlfriend does call me a spanner...

tbh most bolts have figures stamped on them giving the tensile strength of the bolt. using that and the diameter of the thread you can use charts to find out the torque setting

example. on the golf, the haynes etc all say the sump bolts are 25nm.... theyre M6 and people strip the threads left right and centre when in reality, M6 wants 10NM. used that and its been spot on since