1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Topping up engine oil on 1.8 quattro

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Ryanytchan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

Hi all,

As the title suggests I need to top up my engine oil-the dipstick showed around 1/3 full, which according to manual can be topped up. The dealer didn't give me a can to top up with and charges 15 quid for 1L so I'm just going to do it myself, is this the correct/best oil to use and will the funnel help at all? Also do I just top up 500ml at one go?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    As a side note-do you rotate tyres differently given it's a quattro, or do it as shown in manual?
    FYI owned car for 1 month and did 2000miles or so

Cheers!
  2. s3 owner

s3 owner New Member

I take it this was a new car? in which case using that much oil in 2000 miles sounds excessive. either that or the dealer didn't check the level before you picked it up.
  3. BigD289

BigD289 Member

4. RossR

RossR Member

I've never known a new car be supplied without a bottle of oil for topping up. Have you checked behind the side panels in the boot?
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Yes mine came with 1l of oil...
  6. steeve

steeve Active Member

Just a point, if it was a third full you'd be having real problems, like other vehicles the dipstick doesn't reach to the bottom of the sump, you are a third of the way between minimum and maximum. Both ends of the scale are acceptable but it's best to keep it close to max.
  7. BigD289

BigD289 Member

Ours came with 1l of oil. It was in the boot with the spare. Maybe you should ask your dealer for one if you didn't get one?
  8. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

BigD289 is right. Get the EDGE long life that complies with Audi spec 504.00 regardless of whether you are on variable (long life) service or fixed service interval.

Mobil, quantum etc also make equivalents.

And no, I didn't get a bottle of oil with mine either.

My 1.8 has hardly used any and I did a first oil & filter change at 3k miles.

John.
  9. Diamond White

Diamond White New Member

A bit cheaper here
  10. Ryanytchan

Ryanytchan Member

Did you take the car back to the dealership for oil and filter change? Is a filter change needed at 3k miles?
    Thanks