Top Gear's Back!!

Who is buying it for me?

I'll take you away to Afghanistan though for a romantic weekend... x

Am I missing the point of the Mclaren?
Whats the point of the hybrid (eco) system when you look at all the chemicals involved in its manufacture?

I see why its so slippery in the wet though.... Its wearing Pirelli's...

Still wouldn't say no to one tho!

Not the best episode again, but not a bad one either.

It was good to see the acceleration of the P1 and how quick it went!!!

It was good to see how much of a headturner it was when driving through town :)

Liked the Alfa to look at, loved the lightweight concept, loved the power, but given the experiences of the current crop of owners I know who have hideous issues getting problems rectified by dealers I would no longer touch Alfa with a barge pole.

P1 :yum:

I have huge respect to the armed forces; they've done an astonishing job in middle east and to be honest I think they're the best in the world. On the back of this however I'd rather Top Gear ran a spin off series on 'machines of war' rather than constantly shoehorning a third of the show full of stuff that's not car specific (and cannot be bought by the public). Given they only now run about 6-7 episodes per show I'd happily take a spin off series with another 'x' episodes going in to detail on military vehicles as I think it's great our guys get proper coverage for their efforts, UK military manufacturers get airtime for their products / developments etc. But constantly shoe-horning something into a 15 minute slot doesn't do our services justice for me (e.g. I'd like to know more in an hour show).

Lately it seems like TG try to get Military / Police vehicles of some sort into every other show (either for high jinx or factual news); the guys are obviously as fanatical about war [edit] paraphernalia as they are about cars, so make one series about this, and then make a show about cars. More content / more shows per episode; sure win-win?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost
Liked the Alfa to look at, loved the lightweight concept, loved the power, but given the experiences of the current crop of owners I know who have hideous issues getting problems rectified by dealers I would no longer touch Alfa with a barge pole.

P1 :yum:

I have huge respect to the armed forces; they've done an astonishing job in middle east and to be honest I think they're the best in the world. On the back of this however I'd rather Top Gear ran a spin off series on 'machines of war' rather than constantly shoehorning a third of the show full of stuff that's not car specific (and cannot be bought by the public). Given they only now run about 6-7 episodes per show I'd happily take a spin off series with another 'x' episodes going in to detail on military vehicles as I think it's great our guys get proper coverage for their efforts, UK military manufacturers get airtime for their products / developments etc. But constantly shoe-horning something into a 15 minute slot doesn't do our services justice for me (e.g. I'd like to know more in an hour show).

Lately it seems like TG try to get Military / Police vehicles of some sort into every other show (either for high jinx or factual news); the guys are obviously as fanatical about war as they are about cars, so make one series about this, and then make a show about cars. More content / more shows per episode; sure win-win?

I agree with you there. Its obvious Clarkson is very pro UK / Patriotic etc. (Not sure about the war fanatics:) But they do tend to try & bring in the military a bit too much these days.
His spin-offs about machines etc. Are great & informative & well worth a watch.

I understand that It's no longer a motoring show & more of a comedy act involving cars, but I for one watch it for the cars. Not the muppets.

I agree with you there. Its obvious Clarkson is very pro UK / Patriotic etc. (Not sure about the war fanatics:) But they do tend to try & bring in the military a bit too much these days.

Might have something to do with the place where they film- which used to be RAF controlled....and there are still quiet a few links to Dunsfold Aerodrome so may get certain offers and help from the Army.

Also Clarkson has made many war/historic documentaries tbh so it's not really new these days. Maybe now they are doing even less car reviews in TG and more entertainment it has become more obvious recently.

The whole 'surprise' over the Quad/boat against the 4C was so cringey to watch :-\

They made up for it though with that seriously cool P1 - can't wait till it goes head to head with the 918 :)

I think the problem now is TV shows only keep going when they have good viewing figures so thats mainly what they are aiming for, I think they aim for a certain age bracket and well thy must get the results there aiming for. Don't get me wrong I love the show anyway, I don't see it as a serious motoring program, obviously some of the tests they do are but unless you've won the lottery your never going to be buying 95% of the cars anyway.
Regarding the P1, epic car. If you go on YouTube whatcar have also done a review of the porche spyder and what a machine that is too. Looking forward to seeing the lap times between that and the P1.
Good review of the military vehicles but agree it should be a dedicated spin off for reasons already said.

I've got to admit it does my nut in when I hear ppl say not a good episode, if you want boring car reviews then bore off and watch 5th gear

Top gear is all about been silly and using vehicles that most of us aren't able to afford, it's a cracking entertainment show and I love it

And that P1 oh my!!! How I would love to have a go in one of them how I'd love to own one

I finally caught up watching the last two episodes, still good entertainment in my opinion, nothing better to watch between 8-9pm on a Sunday evening on terrestrial TV let's be honest!

Reactions: Nilz
Am I missing the point of the Mclaren?
Whats the point of the hybrid (eco) system when you look at all the chemicals involved in its manufacture?

I see why its so slippery in the wet though.... Its wearing Pirelli's...

Still wouldn't say no to one tho!

Emissions regulations...all to do with the way vehicles are emissions tested. They are taken through standard drive cycles i.e. FTP-75, NEDC etc. and the technology helps them get through these certified tests. Without it they would fail and would not be allowed to sell the vehicle.

Reactions: S3quatt
Top Gear is Top Gear, its never going to be a serious car review show, it never has been, its always been about the three musketeers and what crazy, stupid and sometimes idiotic challenges/races it can think of.

The quadski is something I would love to own, granted being in the Midlands I might not use it as much as someone living near the coast but what fun you would have when you could use it!

The P1 looks phenomenal - JC has his critics but he is a very patriotic man and his piece of what McLaren & British Engineering have done what a delight to watch, who wouldn't want to have the chance to do what he does!

Aside from everyone's positive/negative comments, we all watch it because we love cars and I cant think of any other show doing a better job than what they do.

RE: The quadski.

The way things are down south right now, there may well be a increasing market for them!

Thoughts on last nights episode?

I thought it was quite a good one, was interesting to see Chernobyl and to see that they go so close to it too!!

Was a good episode and Chernobyl isn't as bad as people think even tho it's radioactive crap there's not enough to kill you, if it was really bad then they wouldn't have people working at the site building the dome over it

I actually lol'd when the dove got thrown out of the window!!

Reactions: Andy Crooks
Up! (dont forget the exclamation mark)

Did anyone watch it last night??

What were your thoughts??

The noise out of the 8C - Disco Volante was awesome and the cars in Dubai were mental!!

I did like when he Hamster was driving through the desert/dunes in the UAE, we did that a few years ago and I must say it was one of the most frightening experiences of our lives!!

That Disco Volante was beautiful and the episode was quite a good one again.

Have any of you noticed, every episode there has been a very clear comparison/mention of James Bond...every episode.

I'm wandering if this is the lead up the the season finale that should have been their Xmas special :) I'm hoping so!!!!

Last nights TG was the best iv seen for sometime. :icon_thumright:

Agree 100% Warren, I was thinking the same thing when watching it.

You maybe interested to know that Clarkson did an hour doc on PQ 17, the Arctic convoy disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Porche I think. Where was the S3 in the hot hatch test

It'll be close the porsche is heavier and has less power but does have 4 wheel drive

:keule:

Well that bike sketch was.............

Reactions: Sandra
But the Porsche bit at the end just about makes up for it...

I did like the 'red and green' advert though :-D

Reactions: sidibear
OK, so who's fessing up to having put toothpaste on their scrotum......!!

Nope, but I did have **** chamois cream on yesterday and I can confirm it doesn't burn your ********.