Too much time on my hands

mjhamilton

Broooom Brooom Brooom!!
Reaction score
Heres my story..

Audi A6 2.4SE Tip with all the bells and whistles... 1997-2000 owned by my father inlaw who got it out on Sundays to polish (oooh eeeerrr).. did a total of 3000 miles in 3 years (receipt for £35k from Audi dealer).. nice.

Sold it to me for £15k in 2000 and I have owned it since.. for the first 3 years I got it serviced by main stealer... but in August 2005 I missed a beat and changed the oil myself.... in 7 years I have done 33k miles (total 35k at the moment) and gone thru 1 set front pads, 6 tyres.. and that is about it..... since the last service in 2005 I have done 12k miles.... and now I am abroad 2 days a weeks and am down to less that 20 miles a week..... just bought new front and rear pads from EBC and will fit in a few weekends time.

To get to the point.... never changed my cam belt... age/mileage arguement comes into play here I know... looked at it at the weekend and it doesn't look all that worn... I have no idea what the car is now worth (£2-3K??)... belt change is £5-700....

So who has an opinion??

cambelt should be changed as a rule every 70k miles or 5 years regardless of appearance to keep in the safety margin

You have not had to spend much cash on maintaining this motor!

I would have it changed just for piece of mind! Just because it hasnt been used as much as most, it doesnt mean that it is safe to use.

I agree for safety reasons you should change the Cambelt.

if you've run it into a tree at high speed it might be worth 2-3k£. otherwise I would expect double that. (if it is a C5, not a C4)
also although I've never owned a car, 500£ seems high for a belt change

mjhamilton said:
Heres my story..

Audi A6 2.4SE Tip with all the bells and whistles... 1997-2000 owned by my father inlaw who got it out on Sundays to polish (oooh eeeerrr).. did a total of 3000 miles in 3 years (receipt for £35k from Audi dealer).. nice.

Sold it to me for £15k in 2000 and I have owned it since.. for the first 3 years I got it serviced by main stealer... but in August 2005 I missed a beat and changed the oil myself.... in 7 years I have done 33k miles (total 35k at the moment) and gone thru 1 set front pads, 6 tyres.. and that is about it..... since the last service in 2005 I have done 12k miles.... and now I am abroad 2 days a weeks and am down to less that 20 miles a week..... just bought new front and rear pads from EBC and will fit in a few weekends time.

To get to the point.... never changed my cam belt... age/mileage arguement comes into play here I know... looked at it at the weekend and it doesn't look all that worn... I have no idea what the car is now worth (£2-3K??)... belt change is £5-700....

So who has an opinion??

I would definitely change the cambelt but I wouldn't use an Audi garage, too expensive. I was quoted £750 by Audi and charged £300 by my local and very reliable garage.

At that price im gonna have to take a trip upto Stafford when the time comes!

Good find!

Ive heard of a company called cambelt kings they are apparently very good
These are the details give them a call and see what they say
You never know

Cambelt King
13 Totman Crescent
Rayleigh Essex SS6 7UY

Tel: 01268 774813

Let us know what they say