1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TomTom Sat Nav.

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by imported_RedSportback, Dec 3, 2004.

1. imported_RedSportback

imported_RedSportback Guest

Has anyone got tomtom sat nav working off a PDA or Tomtom go in their Audi A3.

If so do you have any problems with it working with the heat reflective windscreen? I've read a couple of reports with other cars that it doesn't work...... anyone confirm or deny this before I purchase one?
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  2. imported_Smudge973

imported_Smudge973 Guest

I have tomtom go - I dont have a heat reflective screen - although I do know a lot about the product - They do not perform well with the heat reflective screen - you need to but the add on receiver to get a good signal ! the product is great value for money - I will be leaving to go to Edinburgh at 4:30am in the morning and will use it to direct me all the way !
  3. garethj

garethj Member

I have used two GPS "safety" devices both of which have had no problem with the windscreen in the new A3. Therefore would assume that the TomTom Bluetooth GPS will have no problems getting a good view of the necessary satellites.
  4. imported_trident21

imported_trident21 Guest

When I installed my navi, I installed the antenna under the dashboard without any problems. I don´t know if there are any difference in an antenna for a real car navi system and an antenna for a Pocket Pc?

5. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

I have Origin B2 installed and a tom tom PDA based sat nav. All work fine
  6. MKD

MKD New Member

I have the TomTom/ Ipaq set-up in my A3, with the hardwired GPS receiver. This works fine.
  7. synthdood

synthdood Member

Do you have a car kit for the Ipaq, or is it one of the window sucker jobs? I am looking into getting a PDA with TomTom for my sportback. Haven't been able to find a proper good looking carkit yet though. I think I am going to get one of the new VGA PDAs (Dell X50 or HP4700). These can be run in landscape and I would love to have a car kit that would allow the PDA to be rotated.
  8. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

Havent got around to getting holder yet to be honest, I have just been putting it in the gap in the centre console by the handbrake .
    Go for the HP one; its better...
  9. thewizkid

thewizkid Member

2004 A3, Ipaq 2210 with tt3, and kit, works a treat. No probs
  10. MKD

MKD New Member

I have the TomTom car kit, which is stuck to the window via a sucker.

IMO it looks OK, and is much better since it has been hardwired.

11. thewizkid

thewizkid Member

[ QUOTE ]
    MKD said:
    I have the TomTom car kit, which is stuck to the window via a sucker.

IMO it looks OK, and is much better since it has been hardwired.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did they manage to hardwire it into an A3? Wheredo the cables extrude from?
    Got any pics of the setup?
  12. MKD

MKD New Member

It is powered by a cable that comes out behind the dashboard (similar to the Snooper cable I have).

Not sure how it was done - I paid an auto-electrician £20 to sort it out for me.

I will try and post some pictures later in the week (have new camera and not set-it up with PC yet!).
  13. Broadmarsh

Broadmarsh Member

I use an iPaq 2210 with a bluetooth Fortuna receiver and TomTom 3. I have a bracket that fits in the air vent and of course using the bluetooth Fortuna, means I have only one cable to the iPaq.