TomTom Mount

rxs1407

Reaction score
I know all the stories about leaving the TomTom sucker on the windscreen and people breaking in.

But is there another place you can put the screen mount in a A3??
Will it mount to plastic?? anyone made or bought a different mount.

As i thought it might be worth no trying to hide it, but keep it out of ey sight...

Any ideas???
Dodge

rxs1407 said:
I know all the stories about leaving the TomTom sucker on the windscreen and people breaking in.

But is there another place you can put the screen mount in a A3??
Will it mount to plastic?? anyone made or bought a different mount.

As i thought it might be worth no trying to hide it, but keep it out of ey sight...

Any ideas???
Dodge
I read something on another forum earlier - not sure which one - but somebody mentioned that they stuck the sucker on the buttom of the coin drawer. It is obviously not a permanent solution, but I'm going to have a go with my Garmin 660 when I get home and see if it works.

The A3 interior (as with most Audis) seems to be too well designed that there are no cubbys or alcoves to stick it.

can't do that with the new tomtom, it mounts to the bracket in a different way

Wow.... Looks good.. But the yobs could still see i have a TomTom mount in the car, this to me as nearly the same as the screen mount.
Unless it's dead easy to remove????

Not trying to bash your work in any way..

Also i have a TomTom 500

No, you're not quite getting the point.

When I'm out of the car, I put the phone mount on instead of the TomTom mount - takes about 5 seconds to slide one off and swap for the other. This is the point of using the Brodit move-clip instead of mounting directly to the bracket on the vent.

Nobody will break into a car just because a phone mount is visible. There's no chance that anyone will have left a mobile phone in their car becasue, er, it's a mobile phone!

So there's no screen mount, no sticky circle, and no evidence at all that the dash mount is used for anything other than a mobile phone holder.

This is for a TTG700 so should be exactly the same for a TTG500. Check out the DSL site (there's a link in my post on YourNav.com) to see what they can provide these days just in case they've had a new idea.

This is the new mount

1497_04.jpg

Skittler said:
No, you're not quite getting the point.

When I'm out of the car, I put the phone mount on instead of the TomTom mount - takes about 5 seconds to slide one off and swap for the other. This is the point of using the Brodit move-clip instead of mounting directly to the bracket on the vent.

Nobody will break into a car just because a phone mount is visible. There's no chance that anyone will have left a mobile phone in their car becasue, er, it's a mobile phone!

So there's no screen mount, no sticky circle, and no evidence at all that the dash mount is used for anything other than a mobile phone holder.

This is for a TTG700 so should be exactly the same for a TTG500. Check out the DSL site (there's a link in my post on YourNav.com) to see what they can provide these days just in case they've had a new idea.

Got it now, plus you've fixed my mobile mount as well....
Will take a look for the website to buy the bits from.
Thanks again, i knew i had got it all wrong..

This is where mine goes.
100_0225.jpg

Just siliconed the glass from an old picture frame to the cupholder.
100_0224.jpg

Had to trim a little off the cup holder so it would close without catching.
100_0223.jpg

Dont block any of the windscreen either.

That's a bit extreme isn't it?

It only takes 20 secs to wipe off the suction marks from your windscreen. And you don't lose the use of your cupholder. Or damage your car.

staz1000 said:

It only takes 20 secs to wipe off the suction marks from your windscreen. And you don't lose the use of your cupholder. Or damage your car.

I thought there might be a no cost easy option... but i'm starting to think the same as you..

staz1000 said:

And you could be seen doing that or forget.Dont use the cup holder anyway and i have a spare.
Damage your car????How much damage will a thief do???

rxs1407 said:
I thought there might be a no cost easy option... but i'm starting to think the same as you..

I've never bothered wiping off before but now I've seen how often cars are getting broken into for their sat nav I started the other day and was suprised at how easy it comes off!

My solution (see post above) doesn't damage anything, but it's not zero-cost.

On the Alfa I used the window mount and I never found a very quick, very easy, and completely unidentifiable way to eliminate the marks on the window every time I left the car (I could always tell from outside), so when I changed to the Audi I decided never to use the window mount.

james0808 said:
This is where mine goes.

Just siliconed the glass from an old picture frame to the cupholder.

Had to trim a little off the cup holder so it would close without catching.

Dont block any of the windscreen either.

Clever idea i must say, one problem for me, i don't have the cup holder that you do, as the Symphony II audio system stops you from the cup holder option.

But you do get a crap card holder or what ever it's called.. Not sure what size it is..
I did forget to remove the mount and TomTom one night, and guess who car got broken into!!!!! Plus i'd left my wallet inthere as well, rushing around and forgot.... don't do it now...

Skittler said:

On the Alfa I used the window mount and I never found a very quick, very easy, and completely unidentifiable way to eliminate the marks on the window every time I left the car (I could always tell from outside), so when I changed to the Audi I decided never to use the window mount.

Did you get my PM???

Skittler said:

Link wasn't working earlier but I see what you're saying. But when I wipe of with a KFC napkin and a bit of spit it doesn't leave a mark whatsoever. Especially if you do it every time.

Its also common for thiefs to wait near car parks to see who has a sat nav stuck to the windscreen as they drive in,so wiping the marks off wont always help.Another reason i wanted it away from any ones view.

rxs1407 said:
Clever idea i must say, one problem for me, i don't have the cup holder that you do, as the Symphony II audio system stops you from the cup holder option.

I have the Symphony II and a cup holder. Exactly the same as James'

A4Quattro said:
I have the Symphony II and a cup holder. Exactly the same as James'

Cup holder or card holder??? Audi Newbury & Basingstoke told me the cup holder was bigger and wouldn't fit above the Symphony II??

The demo car i drover had the cup holder that popped out and you could put a coke can into it..

Oh, I have an A4 as James has, I forgot this was an A3 thread...sorry!

d3fy said:
Not a tomtom I know, but mine fits here. No smoking pack needed I guess.

Can you buy the No smoking option after market or once you have the car??? Or is it order from new only??

I think that's a fairly dangerous place to put a satnav. You can't just glance at it without taking your eyes well away from the road.

Not easy... best solution is an RNS-E, expensive, though... In terms of praticality a TOMTOM is probably better you don't have to take your eyes of the road that much...

Pedro

The BEST solution is to use TomTom or similar PDA software with the PDA mounted in a cradle and rely on the voice instructions. The RNS-E is OK but not as useful or flexible as the software/PDA version. RNS-E is expensive and it cannot even give you camera information or make use of your own POIs.

I work part-time for B+Q and sometimes have to visit other B+Q stores. I have a POI file with the location of all these stores loaded in my PDA. All I have to do is select the store and click Go. I can also use the same set-up out of the car to show a colleague where another is located. Not possible with the RNS-E.

The RNS-E looks nice in the centre console but it looses out when it comes to practicality.

Skittler said:
I think that's a fairly dangerous place to put a satnav. You can't just glance at it without taking your eyes well away from the road.

I disagree, its just below where the OEM one would sit for one? Also I don't really look at it unless sat in traffic/junction. I just listen for the next command

Just how it should be done. Research has shown that using a Sat/Nav screen of any sort whilst you are driving is just as dangerous as using a mobile phone. You should use rely on the voice commands.

rxs1407 said:
Can you buy the No smoking option after market or once you have the car??? Or is it order from new only??
vagparts.com do the insert. I ordered the no smoking option with mine, and I think it is pretty good - gives me a bit of extra storage space. I've run three charging points for my different phones into the area.

I think vagparts charge 15 or 20 pounds for it.

MarcQuinlivan said:
vagparts.com do the insert. I ordered the no smoking option with mine, and I think it is pretty good - gives me a bit of extra storage space. I've run three charging points for my different phones into the area.

I think vagparts charge 15 or 20 pounds for it.

Cheers for that, i'll take a look...

you'd think for the price you pay for em they would design something better than a suction system that NEVER sticks on the windscreen...

OR you can save and get the RSN-E which apparently is better than those TomToms etc

"which apparently is better than those TomToms etc"

I think you ought to have at least used both systems yourself before saying that :)

you'd think for the price you pay for em they would design something better than a suction system that NEVER sticks on the windscreen...

Personally I use Sat/Nav loaded on a PDA that is mounted in a 'Brodit' mount and it workes very well. The Brodit is located down near the radio and hard wired but I never look at it when I'm driving, relying on the spoken instructions. The Brodit mount looks just like a phone mount so doesn't immediately indicate the there is a GPS in the car. Depending on where I am leaving the car I either put the PDA with its CF card slot GPS in the arm rest out of sight or just put it in my bag or pocket. It's also useful to be able to take the PDA indoors to add POIs, addresses and to plan and set-up routes. The GPS receiver works just as well in the house as in the car. I also have 1:50,000 OS maps loaded and can run both the Sat/Nav software and OS maps at the same time with both being fed by the PDA mounted GPS receiver. Can sometimes be use full to know exactly where you are on the OS Map if things go a little wrong!

For speed camera detection I have a Road Pilot MicroGo which is mounted next to the A pillar so it's in line of sight, again hard wired. It also gives a verbal warning of both the camera and the speed limit as well a an accurate GPS speedo. This unit is screen mounted with a rubber suction system and has never come loose yet and I've been using it in both my A3s for over 12 months.

Have a look at the Brodit website at www.brodit.com. The do all sorts of mounts for Sat Nav units, phones, PDAs etc.