Tom5190's Dolphin S3 8P

Tom5190

Reaction score
Hi, I bought this S3 at the beginning of the week. It was far from immaculate so I put it in my unit straight away and got to work on it. Today I finished and put it on the road. There's no before photos but it was pretty neglected in its previous ownership. I've got a list of things that need doing to it but I did get it for a very reasonable price so it was expected. Here's what's been done to it since Monday:

Plugs
Air filter
Oil Filter
Pollen filter
Fuel filter
Oil
New tax disc holder
Cruise control stalk installed
LED side light bulbs

After that it got a clean, not a full detail as it needs some paintwork so that will come after winter. This is what was done:

Rinse
Snow foam
Hand Wash
Iron-X full car
Hand wash
Dried
SSR 2.5 Hand polish
2 x Dodo juice layers
1 x Collonite 845 (front end)
Wheels removed - arches cleaned, hubs painted
Wheels cleaned with Iron-x & Bilberry
Trims treated with Auto-finesse
Plastics/panels/engine bay treated with Aerospace 303
Tyres dressed
Final wipe with Meg's last touch
Full interior leather clean D.R leather products

DSC03647 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03648 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03649 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03652 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03653 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03644 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03640 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

Reactions: nil538, doctor46goat, D3mon and 3 others
Very nice car mate... Turned out quite well for you then...

any planned mods as yet?

Plans are:

Replace broken armrest lid
Wheel refurb
Laquer peel on rear bumper sorted

After that then I'm going to go for an MTC air filter, fuel pump (not sure on which yet) and a trip to revo for a stage 1.

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Nice... Any particular reason your changing the fuel pump?

I plan on a stage 2 at some point, and I've read on here that some people see flat spots on a stage one without the pump change. I'd rather get it done before hand than wait and see if that happens I guess.

Nice car, certainly did a good job on the cleaning eh :)

Plans are:

Replace broken armrest lid
Wheel refurb
Laquer peel on rear bumper sorted

After that then I'm going to go for an MTC air filter, fuel pump (not sure on which yet) and a trip to revo for a stage 1.

If you are doing all that you might as well get a turbo back exhaust and go direct to 2+

I could be wrong I may have read it wrong to be honest I thought that a few people had that problem. Possibly it was at stage 2?

I plan on a stage 2 at some point, and I've read on here that some people see flat spots on a stage one without the pump change. I'd rather get it done before hand than wait and see if that happens I guess.

Depends what your maps like... Talking to a lot of guys about it today and they reckon stage 2 is when you need to uprate the fuel internals... But for that you'll also need full exhaust system... Clutch, intercooler and new engine mounts for 2+...

i think i'm going to go stage 2 max... 340hp is a nice return for that :)

Stage 2 is eventually what I want 350hp area would be nice! but I think a stage 1 for a few years will be enough. There's other things I want to do to it in terms of suspension etc.

I'll have to have a good read into I've not owned anything VAG before so its all quite knew!

Depends what your maps like... Talking to a lot of guys about it today and they reckon stage 2 is when you need to uprate the fuel internals... But for that you'll also need full exhaust system... Clutch, intercooler and new engine mounts for 2+...

i think i'm going to go stage 2 max... 340hp is a nice return for that :)

uprated fuel pump is needed for 2+ not 2

if you are having the expense of a turbo back system you might as well shell out the extra for a pump and go 2+

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
uprated fuel pump is needed for 2+ not 2

if you are having the expense of a turbo back system you might as well shell out the extra for a pump and go 2+

you need to do engine mounts aswell tho eh? And i'm sure a new intercooler has been mentioned for 2+

you need to do engine mounts aswell tho eh? And i'm sure a new intercooler has been mentioned for 2+

Running 2+ myself with standard engine mounts and intercooler.

I will be upgrading the intercooler soon though just to keep a handle on temps, have no plans at the moment to upgrade engine mounts.

Cheers for the help, spoke to Shark about a map which I'm planning sometime in Feb/March.

Grabbed some better photos of this today, only things since last time are:

LCR splitter
Silver-tech indicator bulbs front and rear
Nokia E51 Car phone holder
LED DRL's

Plans over winter are:
Wheel re-furb
2 x continentals to replace the rears
Cruise control activated
MTC CAI

DSC03755 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03776 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03754 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03751 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03749 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03731 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03726 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03714 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03706 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03703 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC03767 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

Reactions: Hookmonster, phil76 and Kelza
Nice mate... cars looking good :)

I just fiited my MTC cai today.... whats the bennefits of these silver indicators... i've seen a lot of people are getting them now, but never actually seen them in action before?

MY11 rear lights would look lovely on that aswell...

Awesome, Do they fit ok? I've not found any complaints about them so far. What air filter are you using?

I'm not a huge fan of LED bulbs and the silver tech are basically a standard indicator bulb without the orange glass. Its silver. Just means that the sort of orange tinge you get from the clear parts of head lights/rear lights is not there anymore.

Ha funny you should say that I've been looking at them recently. There's a few external changes I want to make after the paint work and wheels are sorted and they are on my list!

As Dean said it's Stage 2+ for HPFP upgrade, but Stage 1 Revo will totally transform the S3 from standard. will be how it should of been when it left the factory!

Where are you located?

Car looks awesome, good work sir!

Reactions: S3Alex
but Stage 1 Revo will totally transform the S3 from standard. will be how it should of been when it left the factory!

Exactly....the car needs that bit more,and that's an ideal upgrade.

As Dean said it's Stage 2+ for HPFP upgrade, but Stage 1 Revo will totally transform the S3 from standard. will be how it should of been when it left the factory!

Where are you located?

Car looks awesome, good work sir!

Cheers, I'm glad I was wrong on that one it means I can do it a lot earlier!

I'm in Teesside, so both Revo & Shark are a fair trek for me but I've just recently moved back home after uni and I was down in Oxfordshire for that so I don't mind the travelling.

I'm not to sure weather to go with Revo or Shark, I need to read up on it a bit more but I'm swaying more towards Shark as the idea of a more progressive map is more appealing. I'm also a little weary of the clutch, as far as I can see in the paper work it wasn't changed when the engine was replaced (Doh!)

It looks a million times better than it did when I bought it but it still needs a good tidy up before any real aftermarket changes are made though, so I'll make that decision closer to the time.

Cheers, I'm glad I was wrong on that one it means I can do it a lot earlier!

I'm in Teesside, so both Revo & Shark are a fair trek for me but I've just recently moved back home after uni and I was down in Oxfordshire for that so I don't mind the travelling.

I'm not to sure weather to go with Revo or Shark, I need to read up on it a bit more but I'm swaying more towards Shark as the idea of a more progressive map is more appealing. I'm also a little weary of the clutch, as far as I can see in the paper work it wasn't changed when the engine was replaced (Doh!)

It looks a million times better than it did when I bought it but it still needs a good tidy up before any real aftermarket changes are made though, so I'll make that decision closer to the time.

There is Sedox not too far away from you -
| Sedox Performance UK LTD

or Triple H

Triple H Motor Sports

I got a new camera for Christmas so thought I would give it a whirl today and the car needed a clean so I'll update this.

Since last time I've done:

Cruise control activated
De-wiper
Pressed plates
Spare Key
Pas-side spring (snapped one!)
New battery

Bought:
Loba motorsport single mass flywheel
Sachs organic clutch
Audi release bearing
Flywheel bolts/g-box oil/clutch fluid
Powerflex track use large bottom engine mount bush
Powerflex small bottom engine mount bush

Clutch started slipping a few weeks ago so I've bought that stuff and the spring snapping was annoying too so the map and other things will be a bit later on now. I've got some loan on the car so I'm planning on paying that off early before doing any other mod's to it now. The clutch wont arrive until the end of the month I imagine so that stuff will go on then.

Photos are in order from dirty through cleaning etc.

DSC00116 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00117 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00119 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00123 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00127 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00135 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00136 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00138 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00141 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00143 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00166 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

Gave the car a quick clean today and grabbed some photos heres an update:

Since last time ive changed:

Loba motorsport single mass flywheel
Sachs organic clutch
Audi release bearing
Flywheel bolts/clutch fluid
Powerflex track use large bottom engine mount bush
Powerflex small bottom engine mount bush
GFB DV+
Pair of front HID bulbs
Rear number plate LED's
White Fog light bulbs

Bulbs didn't fix my headlight colouring, it is better but still not right so I think its likely the projectors. next plans are:

MY09 rear lights
Wheel re-furb and tyres.

DSC00483 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00462 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cheers, I got the DV mainly to keep my mind at ease when it's mapped that the oem one won't split. But you can notice a reduction in lag on gear changes which is quite noticeable.

Cheers for the replies, these turned up today:

6 Months tax & MY09 rears

DSC00506 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

I only put 6 months on as I want to knock it to the middle of the year, I hate having to renew tax so close to Christmas.

That's it for a while now need to save for some new rubber and a wheel re-furb. Bad news too, someone went into the side of me outside my house, its only paint damage and most of it will come out with a few passes on the rotary but the wing will need paint. It was due for paint anyway about now if the clutch hadn't gone but its another thing that's throwing engine work further back :(

Got a combined Le Mans/Nurburgring tripped booked in for June. I'm hoping that I can have the wheels, tyres, bodywork & a map done by then which might prove hard due to the Mrs going on and on and on and on and on and on about a holiday for me & her.

I like this thread! Not normally a fan of this colour in the 8P but it looks very nice here. Your pics are awesome too, what camera you using?

Cheers for the replies, these turned up today:

6 Months tax & MY09 rears

DSC00506 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

I only put 6 months on as I want to knock it to the middle of the year, I hate having to renew tax so close to Christmas.

That's it for a while now need to save for some new rubber and a wheel re-furb. Bad news too, someone went into the side of me outside my house, its only paint damage and most of it will come out with a few passes on the rotary but the wing will need paint. It was due for paint anyway about now if the clutch hadn't gone but its another thing that's throwing engine work further back :(

Got a combined Le Mans/Nurburgring tripped booked in for June. I'm hoping that I can have the wheels, tyres, bodywork & a map done by then which might prove hard due to the Mrs going on and on and on and on and on and on about a holiday for me & her.

Looking good mate, the MY09s will really help sort the rear out. Real shame to hear someone's knocked the car, very unfortunate.

Haha I know the feeling, I've just caved and had to book a holiday with my misses as she kept going on and on and on. So there goes my ARBs for a little bit anyway. Keep up the work anyway mate car looks cracking.

I like this thread! Not normally a fan of this colour in the 8P but it looks very nice here. Your pics are awesome too, what camera you using?

Cheers dude, I'm dieing to get a full correction on it but its pointless until the paint works been sorted but its getting closer! First 2 sets were shot using a Sony A700 DSLR and the others shot with a new camera I got for Christmas which is a Sony A65 DSLR.

Looking good mate, the MY09s will really help sort the rear out. Real shame to hear someone's knocked the car, very unfortunate.

Haha I know the feeling, I've just caved and had to book a holiday with my misses as she kept going on and on and on. So there goes my ARBs for a little bit anyway. Keep up the work anyway mate car looks cracking.

Yea they're in really good nick too I got them off here, there pretty much un-used by the look of them. Luckily (if that's right the right word) it was my sisters close friend and she was in her parents car (she's only 17) so there's no fuss in getting it sorted out etc thankfully.

Haha, nightmare isn't it, I'm not long graduated, this was a present for myself I just want to crack on and buy the things I want but she's put up with me being skint for the last 4 years I suppose its only fair!

I had the same problem in Feb just gone, her indoors, whining on about wanting a summer holiday.

This was as i'd walked through the door from Skiing, someone bumped into my rear bumper at the resort, so that needed replacing, and i was/am as dry as a bone, no cash at all!!!

So what did i do? I booked a holiday. :scared2:

:3sadwalk:

I had the same problem in Feb just gone, her indoors, whining on about wanting a summer holiday.

This was as i'd walked through the door from Skiing, someone bumped into my rear bumper at the resort, so that needed replacing, and i was/am as dry as a bone, no cash at all!!!

So what did i do? I booked a holiday. :scared2:

:3sadwalk:

Hahaha cant win can we!

that's one stunning S3, love the colour :)

Cheers matey

Reactions: MorkC68
Right, as I mentioned, my sisters friend went into the side of the car, I've got some photos of the damage. To be honest its not that bad. Also I've got photos of the damage that was on the car when I bought it. It was always planned to go in for body work but the clutch pushed that back too.

I already had a quote for the other stuff, but I went for a quote on the recent things too and I booked it in for the last week of April (the guy I use is busy!!) It's going in for:

Front bumper repair
Rear bumper re-lacquer
Drivers door and wing repair
Shark fin aerial colour coded

So first - MY09's on:

DSC00527 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

And various body work problems, first 3 are from the recent incident:

DSC00523 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00522 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00518 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00516 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

DSC00525 by T.walker5190, on Flickr

Did you not consider MY11's for your car Tom.... They look nice the MY09's too, but the tinted lenses might have went a bit better with the Dolphin Grey!?