To trade or not to trade?

ebraunschweiler

Reaction score
Hey there guys... I currently own a 2003 S3 with an ABT chip. My dealer called me up the other day and told me that they have a brand new A3 3.2 with DSG that he thought I would be interested in. Now the question is what should I do?? I have been doing some research to see the differences in performance, but there is not much info out there. What do you guys think? New A3 V6 with DSG or S3 with 250hp? Im basing my opinion purely on performance since my S3 is still fairly new and in excellent condition.
Thanks guys.

Before you even think about it,drive a car with DSG.
Not everyone likes it.

Drive it hard.

You may like DSG if you drive the car normally,but you may not like it if you drive the car hard.

DSG will change gear for you as you approach the red line,even in manual mode.

If you're used to revving your car hard,you may not like that.

Even if you don't really want it - take it out anyway! You never know, you might just fall for the car and love it to bits, or you might go home feeling happy that your S3 is so good.... either way, you're a winner all round....

Worst case scenario is that you got to blast a 3.2 A3 around for a while.... sounds like a perfect afternoons entertainment to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Worst case scenario is that you got to blast a 3.2 A3 around for a while....

[/ QUOTE ]

and waste £££'s of the dealers petrol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think you'll find they are quite different to drive so it'll be a question of what your personal preferences are. Personally like the man says I'd take it out for a spin just out of curiosity. After all, why not?

Thanks for all your input, I will let you know how it goes and post some pics if I decide on the A3...

You will need it for a good couple of hours, first impression will probably be pretty negative. You need to get used to driving a non turbo again.

i would probably take a chipped 2.0T over the 3.2, but the 3.2 is nice, but that is why I said make sure you take it out for a few hours.

When we got our 3.0 cab, for the first couple of days I thought it was slower than the A3 2.0tdi, however once you get used to the power being in a completey different place you soon realise how to use it and how much more there is.

But the 3.2 won't be as good as the S3.

3.2 guttless? - bizarre!!!!

ebraunschweiler, I went from an S3 (225) to 3.2 DSG (via A4 Cab) and have to say the new a3 is a much better ride and from the non-chipped S3, much quicker too (when you get used to it)

It will be intersting to see what you think when you've compared the two. Chipped S3 takes some beating.

Everyone I have know who has gone from a turbo car and then taken the 3.2 out for a quick drive has said it is gutless. I think you get used to having the power in a different place, you need to take it out for a day or two to see what it really does.

Interesting, alot of different opinions... Will be test driving it in about a week, I'll let you guys know how it went... Not that any of you probably even care all to much... lol

I'd almost say non-DSG car for 3.2, but test drive both. I've driven 3.2 with DSG, and while it was nice cruising, I didn't like the way "S" mode worked, it didn't bring the feeling of a manual car, and it didn't work like I wanted it to (when I say gear x, I want it to be gear x, not something else).

Fine in D-mode though, but then it's like normal automatic..

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone I have know who has gone from a turbo car and then taken the 3.2 out for a quick drive has said it is gutless. I think you get used to having the power in a different place, you need to take it out for a day or two to see what it really does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I test drove the new GTi and that felt gutless next to my 3.2 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif