1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To gap or not gap? New plugs and tfsi coils

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by slowcoach3, Jul 30, 2013.

1. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Jul 30, 2013]
    One of my bolt down coil packs died on the dyno the other day so after Bill found me one lying around he told me to fit new ones asap, being a good boy I've just got some tfsi ones and thought I may as well change my plugs as I'm in the area. I'm fitting the usual BKR7E's, last time I gapped them to 0.7 or 0.8, I can't remember which though, question is do I need to gap them at all?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. kwistof

kwistof South East Events Moderator Regional Rep

[Jul 30, 2013]
    I kept mine at the standard gap and it all works fine on my APY with TFSI coils (Stage 1)
  4. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Jul 30, 2013]
    Sweet! Cheers dude, I'll be doing that then ;)
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 30, 2013]
    The original hype over TFSI coils was that you could run bigger gaps... I have been running 0.85mm on BKR7E's for over a year now and have covered around 6k miles in that time... for me on my high boost setting (1.8bar) in the current warm weather I get the occasional misfire under boost... on my day to day map (1.6bar) its fine...

I have also seen TFSI coils fail... they are no different in that respect to any other coil pack....

I have a new set of plugs to go into my stroker engine and intend to gap back down to 0.7mm... this has worked perfectly in the past on std 20v coils so see no reason why this wouldn't be fine for my new engine... pretty sure Bill uses 0.7mm on TFSI coils for his race car... if its good enough for a 600hp race car then its good enough for me...

I think the TFSI thing is a little over hyped... not seen any real evidence to suggest they are any better and that running the larger gap makes much difference... in the tests we did on the lupo there was no difference in power etc...

<tuffty/>
  6. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Jul 30, 2013]
    Thanks Tuffty, if i'm honest I only went for the tfsi ones because tps wanted 180 for a set of bolt downs and the tfsi ones were 80! As you saw on the dyno mine all need replacing and there was a bit of a fuss about these so its worth a bash, got to be better than 13 yr old ones anyway. I'll use the plugs straight out the box and if theres anything wrong gap them to 0.7 :)
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 30, 2013]
    What are you using as adaptors? OE ones for your cam cover are less than 2 quid each... part numbers etc are in my build thread and the TFSI coil pack thread linked in the in the FAQ sticky thread

<tuffty/>
  8. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Jul 30, 2013]
    Cheers dude, i picked up my set today from tps, cost an awe inspiring £6.06p lol As said I found the details courtesy of the info you posted,bonus!
  9. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Aug 1, 2013]
    mine are gapped at 0.8mm with no issues using TFSI coils