1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To A4 or not to A4.....

Wozski Mar 13, 2011

1. Wozski

Wozski Member

Guys/gals

I currently have an a3 but due to a new addition to the family my 3drisnt going to be practical.
    I have seen an a4 but not sure if i should go for it.
    Can you please help me out.

Also need some help on what some TDV means .
    cheers

2. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

Not sure what you want to know. I believe TDV models are ones fitted with a diesel particulate filter. I assume you are after a diesel?

If you aren't bothered about performance and want complete reliability then get a 1.9. If you want a bit of power and some decent economy then get a 140 2.0TDI but be careful of 2005-2006 models with the oil balancer shaft problem. If you want straightforward power then get a 3.0 TDI.

3. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

I'd have a good look at one first, there's not as much room as you think there would be. Once you have a baby seat in the back, you have to pull the front seats fairly far forward.

4. PaulTheo

PaulTheo Member

I would never consider putting a child in the back of a 3 door car however big it was but thats just my opinion about safety and access.

5. Sam W

Sam W Member

I've had a baby seat in the back of my A4 a few times now when we've taken the nephew out and about and there's plenty of room for him!

6. Wozski

Wozski Member

Think your missing the point pal. Im after a diff car as mine IS a 3 dr. I want a spacious 4 dr.

Just been in an A4 and i wasnt impressed. If imhonest there isnt much between the A3 and the A4 space wise.
    Might look at a passat..................

7. jayjay

jayjay New Member

have an A4 and a Passat (personal imbort from Belgium) - like the Passat for the room and carrying space, love the A4 for general driving. Mine is a late '04 - the later A4's seem to have more space. For a lot of space though maybe an A6 though the Passat is a good - if unexciting - option.

A4 complaints: Audio never seem to be able to sort out self-levelling Xenon issues
    Passat ('W') complaints: Electronics tend to get affected by water due to blocked drain holes - have to manually clean them out (awkward to get to). Also a couple of indifferent dealer service experiences - just incompetency.

8. auroan

auroan Active Member

Jayjay.

Sounds like both the passat and the A4 you mentioned are the older models before the B7. The new passat is a stretched golf so not much bigger.

9. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

The new passat not much bigger??? It's bloody massive. I've had a new passat and obviously the A4, there is a lot of space difference.

SamW - Taking a child out now and again is different to having them in there all the time. I've got 2 and the space is limited believe me.

10. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator Team V6 TFSI Owners Group Gold Supporter Team Tornado Audi S4 quattro Black Edition s tronic

The current Passat has a 106" wheelbase, compared with 104" for the B6/7 A4. Yes, it uses an extended version of the Golf platform, but very extended. Like Rowdyboy says, it's enormous inside.