To A4 or not to A4.....

Wozski

Reaction score
Guys/gals

I currently have an a3 but due to a new addition to the family my 3drisnt going to be practical.
I have seen an a4 but not sure if i should go for it.
Can you please help me out.

Also need some help on what some TDV means .
cheers

Not sure what you want to know. I believe TDV models are ones fitted with a diesel particulate filter. I assume you are after a diesel?

If you aren't bothered about performance and want complete reliability then get a 1.9. If you want a bit of power and some decent economy then get a 140 2.0TDI but be careful of 2005-2006 models with the oil balancer shaft problem. If you want straightforward power then get a 3.0 TDI.

I'd have a good look at one first, there's not as much room as you think there would be. Once you have a baby seat in the back, you have to pull the front seats fairly far forward.

I would never consider putting a child in the back of a 3 door car however big it was but thats just my opinion about safety and access.

I've had a baby seat in the back of my A4 a few times now when we've taken the nephew out and about and there's plenty of room for him!

I would never consider putting a child in the back of a 3 door car however big it was but thats just my opinion about safety and access.

Think your missing the point pal. Im after a diff car as mine IS a 3 dr. I want a spacious 4 dr.

Just been in an A4 and i wasnt impressed. If imhonest there isnt much between the A3 and the A4 space wise.
Might look at a passat..................

have an A4 and a Passat (personal imbort from Belgium) - like the Passat for the room and carrying space, love the A4 for general driving. Mine is a late '04 - the later A4's seem to have more space. For a lot of space though maybe an A6 though the Passat is a good - if unexciting - option.

A4 complaints: Audio never seem to be able to sort out self-levelling Xenon issues
Passat ('W') complaints: Electronics tend to get affected by water due to blocked drain holes - have to manually clean them out (awkward to get to). Also a couple of indifferent dealer service experiences - just incompetency.

Jayjay.

Sounds like both the passat and the A4 you mentioned are the older models before the B7. The new passat is a stretched golf so not much bigger.

The new passat not much bigger??? It's ****** massive. I've had a new passat and obviously the A4, there is a lot of space difference.

SamW - Taking a child out now and again is different to having them in there all the time. I've got 2 and the space is limited believe me.

The current Passat has a 106" wheelbase, compared with 104" for the B6/7 A4. Yes, it uses an extended version of the Golf platform, but very extended. Like Rowdyboy says, it's enormous inside.