Tiptronic Transmission Woes

g.suggy

Reaction score
I recently lost all drive in my Audi A6 Avant 2.5TDI Quattro (AKE Engine Code). Simptoms include total loss of forward and reverse drive, no strange or loud noises. After dropping the transmission oil, numerous aluminium chuncks of metal came out too. (BAD Day)

So I either recon the box at a price of about £2000 or find a second hand box.

Q1. Gearbox codes: Am I right in thinking that a different gearbox code will have a different gear ratio inside...For instance a 2.7T engine will have a totally different gearbox?

Before I commit to getting it reconditioned is there anything I should be checking or asking the garage before I drop it off?

cheers

Greg

Sorry to hear big troubles.I dont think I would risk a s/hand box

Greg,

I'd chance a secondhand box..

It's very unlikely that the reason the donor car's sitting in the scrap yard is down to the gearbox.....Audi have helpfully engineered loads of other areas that wil write the car off..

If you're buying from ebay, always pay with Paypal to get buyer protection and avoud anything with more than 100K. If the seller says "less than 100K and works fine" that that's what you can hold him to.

The likes of Gumtree often have scrappers as well, but no buyer protection, so you would be sensible to offer much lower for it.

With luck, you'll get a servicable box that will outlast your car. Blowing a couple of grand on a rebuilt box has to be seen in the context of the car's resale value.....