1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiptronic display PRNDS blanking out (Allroad 2.5TDI, 2004)

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by ms1083, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ms1083

ms1083 Member

QUite often now when I start the car and select drive or reverse all the PRNDS blank out. Its gradually happening more & more. Car drives fine but cruise control & the tiptronic switches on steering wheel dont work. If I stop the car and restart it normally works like normal and nothing blanks out. Also tends to keep working like normal for the day from then on. Done a fault check:

18161-163 KWP1281
    F189 triptronic switch static
    P1753

I have checked the tiptronic switch module, the sliding cover looks fine & the magnets are all in place like normal.
    Tends only to go wrong first thing in morning, especially when cold & wet.
    Wondering if the most likely thing is the actual F189 electronic switch circuit board & being affected by dam/cold. Dried it out with some mets & WD40 the connectors but still going wrong.

Replacment F189 switch just over £100 - very tempted to buy a new one and hopefully problem fixed but any comments/suggestions before I splash out?