1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for light scratch on Alloy Wing mirror?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by fran-s3, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fran-s3

fran-s3 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 12, 2010]
    Hey chaps,

Not sure if anyones done this but I have a light annoying scratch almost key mark on one of my alloy wing mirrors... Does anyone have any advice how I can treat it to hide at as best as I can? Not really sure if there's is anything I can do... Buying just one alloy wing mirror from Audi for £250 certainly isn't an option lol - not sure if you can get mark up paint for alloy?

Any advice appreciated.
  2. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Jul 12, 2010]
    i used wet & dry paper on my wing mirror when i scrapped it ona wall, however it came up more like a mirror finish after a polish. Thought about doing the whole thing !
  3. fran-s3

[Jul 12, 2010]
    Thanks Matt, interesting. So you suggesting wet and dry paper and then a polish? Isn't wet & dry a bit to abrasive on alloy?
  4. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

[Jul 12, 2010]
    Pretty sure that they are lacquered alloy, prob best to treat it as if it were paint, if you were to wet and dry through the lacquer you will polish up the alloy to more of a mirror finish and it will look odd (as mentioned above)
  5. fran-s3

[Jul 12, 2010]
    I see, hmm prob not the best idea. It's one long light scratch think it's been done with a key... Not sure if I can treat it then as I don't really want to end up with a mirror finish...
  6. mattyboy199

mattyboy199 Active Member

[Jul 12, 2010]
    you can see the difference in finish but its not as bad as the scrape was. Every time i polish my mirros i hope for a mirror finish so can be that bad doing the whole thing, might take a while
  7. fran-s3

[Jul 13, 2010]
    Hmm maybe as it's a small area it wont be so bad.... Will get the Brasso out tonight lol!