1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tip blown off

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jonny87, Dec 26, 2009.

1. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Dec 26, 2009]
    hey guys, hope you all had a good xmas :)

was driving home from visiting my nan just now, coming off an island just by my house put my foot in a little heard a loud pop lost all power rough/weak idle etc etc

anyway nursed it home and my tip has blown off the hardpipe end, was just wondering if there any reason/cause for this or is it just a case of after a while it can work its way loose?

i got to be honest, the pipe is not a brilliant fit, bit of a bodge in all fairness, so a new one is on my list of things to buy

if someone could put my mind at ease and say that its just a natural thing rather than something more sinister, that would be great :icon_thumright:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Kunit

Kunit Member

[Dec 26, 2009]
    What's the hardpipe end?
  4. ianysm

ianysm Active Member

[Dec 26, 2009]
    Sounds like it was just loose and has worked its way off. There is alot of pressure in there.

A good excuse to get an uprated silicon one though for about £100. Should give slightly more reliable boost as the std one collapses under high boost especially when mapped
  5. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Dec 26, 2009]
    i.e the opposite end to the turbo end of the tip, the metal pipe that leads to my fmic, im unsure of its proper name so i call it the hard pipe lol

yer thats what im hoping mate, just wanted someone to put my mind at ease :)

as i said my tip is a bit of a mess, il put a pic up tomorrow and people can see what i mean, but yes defo a good excuse to buy a new one, just need the funds
  6. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

[Dec 26, 2009]
    it's not yourTIP that's blown off from the sounds of it, TIP is the turbo intake pipe, and this is only ever under vacuum not boost.

Sounds like it's the outlet pipe from your turbo to the chargepipe (hardpipe to some) that's come off.

Under boost applications it's fairly common for boost pipes to pop off if not clamped up tight enough, more of a problem on remapped high boost cars, but it can happen to any.
  7. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Dec 27, 2009]
    yes mate, i just come on here to say i got it wrong :keule:

was looking at it just now thinking 'hmmm that doesnt look like a tip, that one there looks like a tip' lol D'OH!!!

anyway reattached it and all is good, but as i said in my original post the outlet pipe is made up off two different silicone hoses, sleeved and clamped together, im guessing no one elses is like this and defo not ideal?
  8. Prawn

[Dec 27, 2009]
    i think the original turbo outlet on an S3 motor should consist of a single 90 degree eblow, although I think it's size changes from 51-60mm on the bend, although I could be wrong about that.

Best bet would be to measure up the sizes of both pipes, and order up a 90 degree reducer/coupler
  9. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Dec 27, 2009]
    my turbo is a vf (scooby turbs) so would that make a difference, i.e would the o/d of the actual outlet on the turbo be a different size thus meaning i need a different size pipe?

prehaps this is why i have two elbows joined, because the people who done it originally couldnt find a hose to retro fit?
  10. Prawn

[Dec 27, 2009]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

This is entirely possible I'd say!

Best thing to do, is look at what you need, and measure the sizes.

If it's a 90 degree 50-60mm reducer you need (for example), get over to www.siliconhoses.com and see if they have what you're after
  11. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Dec 27, 2009]
    My turbo out hose was a shitty fit as well mate to be fair. I put a bit of smaller hose which was a snug fit around the turbo hard pipe, and then slotted the pipe over for a nice snug (bodge) fit....
  12. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Dec 28, 2009]
    well im going to do the n249 bypass tomorrow weather permitting so will have a look at the outlet then, is it easier seen from underneath or are there splash gaurds/other engine components blocking the view? its not very easy to see from above as im sure you are both aware :)
  13. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

[Dec 28, 2009]
    Saw your pics from this, looks good! Nice job.
  14. jonny87

jonny87 Active Member

[Dec 28, 2009]
    :beerchug:
    yet to take it for a drive to see if i can notice any difference, but tbh im happy with the fact it looks neater under there now, so win win :)