Timing the 2.5 TDI - A few questions.

TYphoon GB

Reaction score
Having thought I had done a good job on setting up the dynamic timing I began to suspect myself.

Using the TDI graph was driving me mad so I have resorted to the Vag Com section Engine, Measuring Block, Group 0 numbers 2 & 9

At 160 Temp I am getting 60 which is a bit advanced but in range.

Much messing with the pully told me that this was time to stop.

Runs fine but cold starting is 'not perfect' almost goes for a few seconds like its building up and then vroom.

Today I tried the 'other method'

Using Group 004

Ran like a nail and the numbers looked bad.

Does this work for the BDG Motor?

Anyway monitored the timing from cold using Group 0 again and it started at 85 and slowly dropped to 60 as it got to temperature.

My questions..... Is the ECU taking the slack and working overtime for the timing being advanced?

If I get 60 then it looks good...is it?

Or is it normal?

Use the basic settings block4 and pull the v6 tdi block from the drop down box, should show if it's advanced or retarded- only if you have the fully registered version !

Thanks

Its advanced just a bit...but in the band.

Guess the starting issue is something else ...but it has been standing for a while.

Would reducing the EGR help starting? Just something I saw on the Ross Tech site....

if it's in the band then the only thing i could think of is air in the fuel lines. Have you changed the plastic tee valve on the fuel filter ?

if it's in the band then the only thing i could think of is air in the fuel lines. Have you changed the plastic tee valve on the fuel filter ?

Neglected to close.....That worked...thanks!