1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

timing chains on s4 v8

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by TURBOTRONICS, Nov 6, 2010.

1. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

this might be a stupid question but im going to ask it any way
    where are the timing chains on my 03 s4 v8?
    iv been told they are on the back of the engine but when i told my mate who is a mechanic he said dont be soft but when i do an images search on google it looks like it could be possible
    http://forums.audiworld.com/picture.php?albumid=52044&pictureid=109527
  2. Tooks

Tooks Member

Although I don't own one, I've read a few articles over the years about S4 V8 timing chains and tensioners, and they all said the timing chain is at the back of the engine too.

It's designed to last the life of the engine, but the tensioner problem some engines suffered meant it needed to be removed and it's an engine out job due to lack of access.
  3. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

yea you can see the crank end were the flywheel bolts to,funny that as the VR6/r32/4 Motion are at the rear aswell!
  4. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

can you remember any of the links save me spending hours looking
  5. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

they are on the rear and so is the v6 bi turbo.

Autodata pic.

[​IMG]
  6. rjm180

rjm180 Member

Turbotronics, do you have a problem with the timing chain then?
  7. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

not as such just start up rattle
    i had asked a local mechanic if he would fancy changing the chains when he was doing the fan belt and he said no as they was on the back of the engine and it was an engine out job but my mate who is also a mechanic burst out laughing when i said the chains are on the back of the engine making me think some one was winding me up
    after doing a bit of reading on the net i found out that the rattle was common and was nothing to worry about and that it might go when i do the oil and filter
    once the engine is running its sweet as a nut no rattles squeaks or any type of noise
    its some time s little lumpy on tick over but i think thats the maf wanting cleaning
  8. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

9. rjm180

rjm180 Member

Try the oil change it might quieten the rattle down, has it been long since the last one?

I have recently had the oil changed in mine during an interim service and it seems quieter on start up. I didn't have a noticeable rattle though.
  10. dsmclark40v

dsmclark40v Member

Sadly the rattle is completely normal. mine still rattled even after the chains and tensioners were replaced. I changing to a 5w40 oil and now it doesn't rattle. And yes the chains are at the rear of the engine, it was designed to make the engine shorter so they could shoe horn in the V8.

If its any help to your decision audi quoted me £3149 to remove the engine and replace the broken tensioner.
  11. TURBOTRONICS

TURBOTRONICS Member

no mate this seems to be a different issue that thankfully i dont have
    it is as dsmclark30v says its only a little rattle on fire up that only lasts a second then gone
    i will be doing the oil next week with 5w40 semi i think and the filter which i picked up the other day
    that took me ages to fined to on the engine