1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Timing Belt Troubles

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Skinner, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Skinner

Skinner New Member

[Apr 1, 2007]
    HELP!!!

Went to change the timing belt on my A4 1.8t 1997 R reg got the kit and it is nothing like my one that is on the car already so i ordered one from Audi instead and it is the same kit as the Gates one that i got for the start can anyone help me out here or do i have to fit this new style kit??

Cheers Richard
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. joost

joost Active Member

[Apr 2, 2007]
    If by it being different you mean the tensioner and the pulley, then yes you have to fit them.

They changed/improved(?) the design on the tensioner system around late '97/98 as the old design was prone to failure due to wear. IIRC, the old ones had a ball and socket joint at the end of the tensioner which pushed the pulley to tension the belt - the new version is just a straight-forward piston/pulley on eccentric cam type thing.

Might be worth getting a water pump (make sure it's got the metal impellers as the plastic ones can break off) and changing that at the same time if you've not already done so.