Timing belt kits...

dan_a3

Reaction score
Might be able to get hold of some cheap S3 timing belt kits (belt, tensioner and hydraulic damper) in Continental. Wanted to know what people have been paying for them?

yup, apparently so. belt, tensioner and damper.

c16wko said:
yup, apparently so. belt, tensioner and damper.

are you sure?

I was quoted much more than that for the parts from my local dealer

the cambelt kit alone was £70+VAT iirc

well im picking it up tomorrow so ill tell you what actually comes through.

but yeah, i ordered the kit, including the tensioner etc...

so unless somwhere our wires have crossed, i think it came out at £88 :huh:

I was quote £76.88 for the damper only

if the £88 includes the damper, you will have to get a set for me :p

well my mates bro works in audi so £50 for me ...... hehe :eyebrows:

josh

joshW said:
well my mates bro works in audi so £50 for me ...... hehe :eyebrows:

josh

Josh, did you include my timing belt kit in the armrest?:unsure:

for a plastic one. and thats exchange i think too
50 for metal one.

c16wko said:
for a plastic one. and thats exchange i think too
50 for metal one.

the new plastic one are better than the metal one. No possibility of seizure with the plastic one.

the revised plastic one is £32 at the dealer and the metal one £28 on ebay

spoke to a service guy at audi and he said that if only vw and audi done the metal ones it would last longer as the plastic ones wear around the bearings.

Hmm well if its 77 for the kit and 78 for the damper, then i should be able to save people alot of money, if its 77 for the whole kit including the damper, then maybe not. If you let me know whats in your kit when you get it, ill let you know.

ha well it wsa due in today. still waiting tho lol

The audi timing belt kit costs £75 + VAT and contained the belt, tensioner pulley and the small idler pulley (ie the one that is screwed onto the tensioner damper).

I changed the waterpump, plus all of the above, but not the damper. Gave it a good visual and checked it for leaks when I compressed it for re-fit.

I went for the gen audi waterpump too - plastic impeller in all.

5 hours including numerous cups of tea and breaks, in a well equiped garage with all the right tools, albeit no air tools. Not too difficult a job for a competent/experienced DIY mechanic.

i had a quote of £75+vat from peter gilders in sheffield for the entire kit also...... although my mechanic is ex Audi and will probably get it cheaper:eek:)

Well conti do 2 kits. One that contains the belt, tensioner and damper, and the other contains the belt, tensioner and idler.
I can get both, and from what you are saying, the audi kit is the latter of the two. Would people prefer this or the kit with the damper?

take it to jabba their do tensioners, belt & metal impellored water pump for £350

Im talking about prices for the parts, not supplied and fitted. If you could tell me what you have paid for your kit and what was included in it, i will see if i can do anyone some favours! At the mo we have established that the Audi kit is 75 plus vat and contains belt, tensioner and idler but no damper. Is this what people prefer to fit or would they prefer a kit with a belt, tensioner and damper?