Timing belt & car sale

cd1975

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just sold my car (A4) and the buying dealer who took it as part ex has come back after a week of me driving away in new car with a question. When I bought the A4 last year I was informed that the timing belt had just been changed in a service. Got all service stamps etc.

Just sold the A4, buyer checked through all paperwork I have (including a full service a month before selling it). They asked about timing belt & I told them that I'd been told it was changed before I bought the A4. They were fine with that & happy with paperwork I gave em.

They're now on the phone & asking if I have specific proof that the timing belt was done. I don't unfortunately. Contacted garage I bought the A4 from & they're not being helpful unfortunately.

Is this likely to be an issue?

Give the dealer their details and let them sort it out between themselves,deal is now done for your new car i personally wouldn`t bother

Reactions: Ghost
Hi all,

Just sold my car (A4) and the buying dealer who took it as part ex has come back after a week of me driving away in new car with a question. When I bought the A4 last year I was informed that the timing belt had just been changed in a service. Got all service stamps etc.

Just sold the A4, buyer checked through all paperwork I have (including a full service a month before selling it). They asked about timing belt & I told them that I'd been told it was changed before I bought the A4. They were fine with that & happy with paperwork I gave em.

They're now on the phone & asking if I have specific proof that the timing belt was done. I don't unfortunately. Contacted garage I bought the A4 from & they're not being helpful unfortunately.

Is this likely to be an issue?
If money has exchanged hands, and the V5C sent off, then it's no longer your problem.

I sold a Merc 190E to a dealer as a p/x many years ago due to head gasket failure. It was in the service history notes, but I didn't tell them, it was full SH, and bodywork was mint etc. They called me up a week later to ask if I had the head gasket changed recently? I said no. Guy slammed the phone down! lol

Let them sort it out, its sold to them and they need to follow it up now.