Time to say goodbye (Already)

f1nny

Reaction score
As the title says. I'll be getting rid of the A4 soon.

Due to unforeseen circumstances (missus and I decided she won't be going back to work after maternity) I've decided to downgrade from my A4 and place an order for the facelift A3 1.0 TFSI sport with few extras. Managed to get a good discount on it through carwow and a decent part exchange that'll get me the A3 as well as give me few grand cash back from the A4. This along with the cheaper running costs should help me support her whilst she brings up our little full time for at least another 6 months :)

The difference in power and styling is going to be noticeable to say the least but things have to be prioritised.

Anyway it's been a pleasure getting to interact with you on the forum and no doubt I'll interact with some of you in the A3 8V forum :D .

You never know I could be back on this forum soon knowing the frequency in which I change my cars ha.

Finny

Reactions: Sandra
You're doing the exact opposite of me! My missus has decided she will be going back to work after maternity so I'm upgrading from an a3 to an a4.

The A3 is still a cracking car - and i wouldn't call it a downgrade really, just slightly smaller.

Im sure you'll still enjoy it!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: f1nny and Sandra
Hi Finny, it's good the missus gets to spend time with the little one. Family is important. As you say you can change back in few years. Good luck with the new car. :)

Reactions: f1nny
A3-A4 here...I'm looking more and more at the 2.0 petrol A4, the deals on them seem to be too good to miss! All I want to add (as so much is standard) is the colour changing interior lights, folding mirrors and gangster glass. It comes out cheaper than my S3 even if I do it over 3 years, my current pcp deal is over 4.

I think it looks good in white:

Nice

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, f1nny and mjcourtney
Yeah the discount on A4s (especially with the £2500 pcp dealer contribution) is making them come out cheaper than my existing A3 too. Too good to resist

White looks great on the saloon, I don't think it suits the Avant so much though.

Also just to add, I had pcp quotes on both the 2.0tdi 190 and the 2.0tfsi based on 10k per year and the diesel came out £15 a month more expensive, but I reckon would save me £30 to £50 a month on fuel. On that basis I'm probably going to go with the diesel. YMMV.

The 2.0 TFSI in the A4 is a great engine. I'll be sad to see it go but needs must. Might look at the same engine in the A3 in couple of years ;)

Here's my fuel consumption from the last 18 days taken from the pump to the first click. My latest journey of 35mpg was with 4 Adults in car, a baby, car seat & isofix base, & a pram. Also 90 miles of it was in 3 hours of stop start traffic in Blackpool.

Reactions: scotty76 and mjcourtney
That's actually better mpg then I thought it could get. What app are you using to track that?

Yea I'm impressed with the mpg considering it's a 2.0 TFSI 190. My journey to work is a 100 mile round trip each day that consists mainly on hilly A-roads but on motorway runs of 250 miles I have got 47mpg on the DIS but this is at night with a clear road all the way doing 70mph.

Here's the app I'm using. It's from the Apple App Store so not sure about android. Think I paid £2 or something for it. There is a free version but it only lets you record 5 or so journeys .

Last edited:
Reactions: mjcourtney and Bristle Hound
Couldn't find that for android but got one called Fuelio - seems similar. Thanks

Just a quick shot of the DIS this morning. I've found the DIS to only be 0.5-1 mpg out. Covered 250 miles since Monday and returing 44.1 mpg so not too bad like I say :D

Image1

Fascinated by those consumption figures. They are comparable to those I achieve in my 1.4 COD. Overall historic figure on DIS is 43 and that's more or less what I usually get from each tankful (usually 41-43 mpg).

Agree, my a3 seems now permantly stuck at a urban figure of 44mpg however I drive. Given that the A4 is a larger car its good that owners are obtaining a similar mpg but it makes me wonder how the 2.0lt fsi engine will perform in the A3...

Yeah I'm very disappointed with the mpg from my 1.4 cod. It's permanently stuck in the low 40s for long term. I have a feeling part of that is due to the s-tronic as I don't think it always encourages efficient driving.

I'm not, on a run on 'A' roads and motorways I easily achieve 55mpg and if I drive frugally I can see figures in the 60's....

I'm not, on a run on 'A' roads and motorways I easily achieve 55mpg and if I drive frugally I can see figures in the 60's....
Ah, probably a combination of my route to work and a heavy right foot then!

The only way to tell is if I get to drive your car over the same journey...

Reactions: Sandra
Yeah, a colleague has the same engine but in manual transmission in his a3, and drives a nearly identical route to work. He gets 60mpg frequently. So it's either me or the gearbox!

Yeah, it's the first automatic I've owned. Haven't got on with it, will be going back to manual on the a4

Reactions: cuke2u
Just a quick shot of the DIS this morning. I've found the DIS to only be 0.5-1 mpg out. Covered 250 miles since Monday and returing 44.1 mpg so not too bad like I say :D

View attachment 99415
That's good mpg for the engine/size of the car, think I average 32 on the S3! MPG isn't a biog concern for me as I only do about 8000 per year and most of my weekday miles are in and around town. It takes me 10 mins to get to work in 30/40 speed limits apart from when I hit the motorway for all of 30 seconds...if that!

I see you never went with the new style dash (can't think what it's called lol)...do you still get a digital speedo with the dash you have?

My motorway time going to work lol:

Yeah, it's the first automatic I've owned. Haven't got on with it, will be going back to manual on the a4

Oh blimey, that's another issue. I have read such rave write-ups of the s tronic box and after a holiday in the US earlier this year (where all cars are automatics) and a courtesy car last month which had s tronic, I'm very tempted to go with s tronic in the A4. My only reservation is the risk of problems with it as I don't mind the lack of involvement in the driving. As for potential problems, I tell myself that while it's under warranty, I don't need to worry. So I've got comfortable with the additional size, I've had reassurance on the fuel consumption and now I just need to come to a view on the s tronic. I'll leave colour for a future post!

Oooh I haven't got the above post right. My response is the second paragraph. God knows what I did there. Can you imagine me in a tech-packed A4?!!

That's good mpg for the engine/size of the car, think I average 32 on the S3! MPG isn't a biog concern for me as I only do about 8000 per year and most of my weekday miles are in and around town. It takes me 10 mins to get to work in 30/40 speed limits apart from when I hit the motorway for all of 30 seconds...if that!

I see you never went with the new style dash (can't think what it's called lol)...do you still get a digital speedo with the dash you have?

My motorway time going to work lol:

Yea I do 22000-24000 miles a year. I hope to get a least 55 mpg out the new 1.0 TFSI A3 I've ordered. I use to get 50-54mpg out my A1 1.4 TFSI 125 on way to work and back.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Virtual Cockpit (each to their own). I prefer to see a good old mechanical needle move :D Plus I'd get to distracted with the display when night driving. I always used to lower my MMI screen on both my 8Vs at night due to the screen distracting me. On the A4 theirs an screen off button which I use.

You basically just stay on the slip road for a junction, if you can call it that ha. Weren't in trouble with the police were you ha

Yea I do 22000-24000 miles a year. I hope to get a least 55 mpg out the new 1.0 TFSI A3 I've ordered. I use to get 50-54mpg out my A1 1.4 TFSI 125 on way to work and back.
I would have thought you'd be pushing it to get 55mpg out of the 1.0l engine in that size of body, maybe keep your speed down to around 65mph but then it'll be no fun.
I can achieve about that from our 1.0l ecoboost fiesta on the motorway but my partner can't...

Yeah I'm not a big fan of the Virtual Cockpit (each to their own). I prefer to see a good old mechanical needle move :D

You basically just stay on the slip road for a junction, if you can call it that ha. Weren't in trouble with the police were you ha
But you can have the middle to display your speed in digital figures?

Yeah just stay on the slip/exit road :D Love pulling away from the Police quickly ;)

Looks like you're not far from us, M53 at Hooton isn't it? :)

That's right, coming off the old little chef roundabout....or if you go the other way the Chimneys pub/restaurant.

I would have thought you'd be pushing it to get 55mpg out of the 1.0l engine in that size of body, maybe keep your speed down to around 65mph but then it'll be no fun.
I can achieve about that from our 1.0l ecoboost fiesta on the motorway but my partner can't...

I use to manage 50-53mpg my 1.2 TFSI 8V but that was all motorway. That's why I'm hopeful to get 55mpg from the 1.0 TFSI as my new commute to work doesn't involve me going above 60mph as there's near enough always a lorry on the road and it's difficult to overtake so tend to do 40mph at times.

Fingers crossed though:D

But you can have the middle to display your speed in digital figures?

Yeah just stay on the slip/exit road :D Love pulling away from the Police quickly ;)

That's right, coming off the old little chef roundabout....or if you go the other way the Chimneys pub/restaurant.

Yeah sorry I forgot that bit. Yeah it does :) just the same as the A3's digital speedo you get in the DIS

Reactions: S32B
Yeah sorry I forgot that bit. Yeah it does :) just the same as the A3's digital speedo you get in the DIS
OK cheers for that, I took out a BMW Z4 and a M135i before getting the S3, I didn't like the old school option of dials only for the speed ;)

I've just done my first brim to brim consumption check. The car has not yet completed 400 miles, but I filled it this morning in anticipation of a lengthy trip this evening. Over 256 miles since the last fill-up I have achieved 37 mpg. Those 256 miles would consist of roughly equal proportions of short trips (popping round to the supermarket), longer local trips (circa 10 miles) and motorway trips. I am driving fairly gently, with great personal restraint I might add, and I have not yet tried sport mode. However, for a new engine I think that's quite respectable.

As my A3 ia due soon and the A4 will be going. I'd thought I'd post a picture of my readings from since the last picture. I had a couple of weeks of work so did lot of short town journeys which dropped it it around 36mpg. Still impressed by the figures obtained by the 2.0 TFSI.

IMG 4658

Reactions: thewanted