1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to replace discs/pads which ones on A4 V6?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by wellhouse0, Aug 6, 2010.

1. wellhouse0

wellhouse0 Member

just had the mot and had advisory on front and rear discs but what do i go for. B5 2000 X reg 2.4 V6, direct replacement pagids discs/pads all round, parts about £180 or brembo with pagid pads all round for about the same price or do i do something else? Are there any writeups on how to change the discs front/rear on a B5, is it straightforward - any tips? cheers guys

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Pagid is decent stuff.

I would avoid buying OTT disks with stupid grooves and holes in them, just get nice normal plain disks, and decent pads.

4. adesb5

adesb5 Member

if you can change the pads you can change the discs theres usualy a screw to hold the disc to the hub this will be rusted in solid if the discs havnt been changed before that is.

5. S4twiggy

S4twiggy Fully Certified Detailer!!

didnt think the discs were held on with a screw, i thought they were held in place by the carriers?????

get some decent grade discs and then get some proper pads, DS25000 are well rated, i have black diamond pads but too much dust for my liking so wont use again but they work well once heated up

6. wellhouse0

wellhouse0 Member

no screw holding it on, looks like its held by caliper/carrier, anyone done one before?

7. S4twiggy

S4twiggy Fully Certified Detailer!!

mate it really is simple, jus take caliper off then the carrier, pop new discs on and assemble back. once you do one side then its simple on there after

8. Audidave

Audidave Member

rear disks with have wheel bearings inside them and abs ring will need swapping afaik.

9. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!"
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

^^ Only if its Front wheel drive, but the OP doesnt mention either way.

10. wellhouse0

wellhouse0 Member

it's a 2 wheel drive avante, anyone know the torque settings for the various bolts etc?

11. wellhouse0

wellhouse0 Member

well went for pagid all round. On the front discs/pads does anyone know if the outboard pad is directional. The inboard pad is as it has a an arrow on the back of the pad where the spring is to push into the caliper piston. can't see any markings on the outboard pad though. Anyone know?

12. adamss24

adamss24 Well-Known Member

They are not directional just fit them and make shure you clean the caliper carrier of any built-up rust on the sliding sides...

13. Freakyparts

Freakyparts New Member

Could you be interested in a Brembo 4 pot upgrade for the fronts? Comes with new disks as well... :)