1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to change the front tyres

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Worze, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Worze

Worze New Member

[Jul 19, 2006]
    Just completed my first 15k miles and it's time to change the front tyres.

What are peoples views on the standard fit Pirelli Rosso P-Zero's? Stick with them or try something else?

My local Just Tyes are offering them at £124.99 each (225/40/ZR18). Is this a good price or can anyone point me in a cheaper direction.

Comments appriecated.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 18, 2014]

3. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Jul 19, 2006]
    very expensive!!! You can get F1s for less than that!

Whereabouts are you?
  4. Dandle

Dandle Member

[Jul 19, 2006]
    Without doubt get Goodyear Eagle F1s they are miles better than Rossos in both the wet and the dry. They should last slightly longer too.
  5. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Moderator

[Jul 19, 2006]
    Definately go for the F1's, cheaper, longer life, improved handling in wet and dry blah, balh, blah I could go on.

I know Bowfer had problems initially with the F1's, standing starts I think? I know when brand spankers they take a few miles to settle in, thught it was my imagination but after doing some googling on the web I was not alone.

You need to get a bit of heat into them for them to settle down was the general opinion...

J.
  6. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

[Jul 19, 2006]
    I went with the F1's. They do seem to have a lot more grip than the standard Dunlops. They don't seem to complain nearly as much while accelerating and cornering aggressively.
  7. Covenant

Covenant Member

[Jul 19, 2006]
    Any recommendations for online suppliers for the F1's?
  8. beaker

beaker Member

[Jul 19, 2006]
  9. hass

hass Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    I had Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 on my S3 last year, they were perfect in wet and dry. I recommand them

Now I bought set of Continental Contisport contact 2 because the michelin were out of stock, overall they are good. BUT they dont have Michelin traction???
  10. Worze

Worze New Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    I'll have a look around for the F1's as these seem to be getting a good review.

I'm based in Crawley, West Sussex. Can anyone recommend a cheap supplier in this area?

Thanks for the replies so far.
  11. leecs3

leecs3 thinking about stuff

[Jul 20, 2006]
    i'm on goodyear F1's at the minute, there OK but the pirelli's i had before were better. You really can't get a better tyre for the money than a PZero. Goodyear do seem to last longer though.
  12. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    I can't see past F1's now.
    As MB says,I had helluva wet road acceleration problems for the first couple of hundred miles (no cornering grip or braking grip problems,just acceleration grip was iffy),but that has sorted itself out now ( or I have adapted to it ).
    I run the front pressures at 38 (recommended for the Sportback),and they have quickened the steering nicely.It doesn't seem to need half as much effort to turn into the apex of a corner now.
    Cornering grip,wet or dry,is outstanding and braking grip is unbelievably good.
    They look cool too !
    Mine were just over £100 each..
    Whatever you do though,MAKE SURE THEY GIVE YOU THE CORRECT LOAD TYRES !
    My supplier cocked up to start with,and had to order more.
    The correct tyres for your car should be load rating 92Y,not the 88Y they originally supplied me with.
  13. Tim Stuart

Tim Stuart Member

[Jul 20, 2006]
    Worze - Micheldever Tyres are really cheap - A272 to Winchester, A33 towards Basingstoke (just north of Winchester). Call them on 01962 774437 or visit www.micheldever.co.uk. If you do go there for your tyres, be prepared to queue....
  14. Eeef

Eeef Lord of War

[Jul 20, 2006]
    If you're not that local, get a price from them and then quote it at any Pro-Tyre place, they own them as well.