Time for a build thread....big turbo

Hey...good to see you...hope you're well.

It's been a long slow process,mostly through getting all the parts together and getting to a point where it was worth stripping the car down.
I've got to say that while I was really impatient to get going,Storm have done the right thing and organised everything properly.

Now it really is in bits I can see where they're going with it.
Hey yeah not to bad thanks just been busy with life and work getting in the way ,
Yeah def a good idea to get it all done properly and in one hit rather than running back and forwards to storm !
Def need that passenger ride next Summer with some warm tarmac !,

Reactions: S3Alex
Good to see your still at it Alex, been thinking about the syvecs ecu for a while, I may give Storm a call to see what it could do for mine.

shame to see vagoc has shut up shop, loads of good info there but it was quiet recently

Reactions: S. and S3Alex
Good to see your still at it Alex, been thinking about the syvecs ecu for a while, I may give Storm a call to see what it could do for mine.

shame to see vagoc has shut up shop, loads of good info there but it was quiet recently

Hi Good to see you're around too.

Speak to Andy at Storm....he'll tell you what they got from mine last year,as the first S3 with one,and they now have a lot of development experience to use as well,as the data etc from the RS build they've just finished.

I thought it totally transformed the car.

Shame indeed about VAGOC,but had been coming for a while I guess,but it had been the go-to place for big tuning threads.
We still have ASN,which has all the threads and most of the people,so we'll be OK.

Reactions: crazylegscrane and S.
I wish my driveshafts were only 300! lol, so basically if I upgrade to the 7 speed it'll cost me less when I have to bi-annually renew the driveshafts it'll be cheaper :p mine seems to eat cv boots from time to time! I prefer complete driveshafts to just changing one of the cv joints though!

When your engine goes back in then, will it have a 7 speed bolted onto the side of it :p ?

I wish my driveshafts were only 300! lol, so basically if I upgrade to the 7 speed it'll cost me less when I have to bi-annually renew the driveshafts it'll be cheaper :p mine seems to eat cv boots from time to time! I prefer complete driveshafts to just changing one of the cv joints though!

When your engine goes back in then, will it have a 7 speed bolted onto the side of it :p ?

LOL....I think the other bits are beginning to add up,so however Andy got those bits at that price,I'm happy!

7 spd DQ500 from an RS3.

Reactions: grainqey
I'll make sure I've got a gearbox on my ebay watch list!

According to Andy the DQ500 is the one to have and has the highest torque limits on the stock clutches.

Reactions: grainqey and S.
Oh dear.....bad news and good news.

Good news first.....gearbox and block are joined up.

Bad news....head is scrap.
One of the inlet cam journals has severe damage,and it's basically scrapped the head,so I need a new one....for the car that is.

@mjr901 .....Help!

Courtesy of Andy at Storm and Race Developments....

Oh dear.....bad news and good news.

Good news first.....gearbox and block are joined up.

Bad news....head is scrap.
One of the inlet cam journals has severe damage,and it's basically scrapped the head,so I need a new one....for the car that is.

@mjr901 .....Help!

Leave it with me and i'll see if I can work some magic. Talk Monday.

Edit ^^ Jesus Christ that's a bit chewed

Leave it with me and i'll see if I can work some magic. Talk Monday.

Edit ^^ Jesus Christ that's a bit chewed

Thanks very much indeed.......even my dog couldn't do that much damage.

Wow. I know people with industrial tooling that couldn't do that to a casting.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Wow. I know people with industrial tooling that couldn't do that to a casting.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

One of the inlet cam journals obviously picked up really badly and it's just torn it to bits.

In the past, I trashed 3 BMW engines, (same car), and never saw that kind damage.
You obviously do everything properly....lol.
Good luck with the repairs.

In the past, I trashed 3 BMW engines, (same car), and never saw that kind damage.
You obviously do everything properly....lol.
Good luck with the repairs.
LOL....I've never had an engine go south on me before.

It's just a shame that one journal picked up like that and tore the bearing to bits......the cams have been in and out a couple of times,and the valves replaced,so who knows what leads to this sort of thing.
The really interesting bit to me was there was no indication of anything going wrong,but I'm just glad it was found before it blew up.

I have to say that looking at the work Race Developments do,their standards look amazing.

Reactions: Jake 61 and voorhees
LOL....I've never had an engine go south on me before.

It's just a shame that one journal picked up like that and tore the bearing to bits......the cams have been in and out a couple of times,and the valves replaced,so who knows what leads to this sort of thing.
The really interesting bit to me was there was no indication of anything going wrong,but I'm just glad it was found before it blew up.

I have to say that looking at the work Race Developments do,their standards look amazing.

Sods Law, Alex. probably an iffy part that couldn't be foreseen.
I've trashed more engine's than most, the Beemer put me right off them forever. The rest were Fords, (my own fault), and two stroke Yamahas, (probably my own fault as well). At least the Ford and Yamaha engines could be out and on the bench in a couple of hours and probably sorted in a weekend.
Following the thread, I don't think it was anything other than bad luck. As you say, at least it was found before it went bang.

At least the good news is good.

I had this major worry that the gearbox wouldn't join up properly but now that's done I know that Andy can interface the thing with the ECU as it was designed for the DSG.

Now the real difficult and expensive bit starts ....

Reactions: grainqey, Smirky and MICHAEL PARKER
That's bad luck Alex, like you say though good it was spotted now and didn't cause problems further down the line.

Good news on the gearbox though it's going to be some rocket ship when it's gets back together!

That's bad luck Alex, like you say though good it was spotted now and didn't cause problems further down the line.

Good news on the gearbox though it's going to be some rocket ship when it's gets back together!

That's what Andy predicts...right now it's going nowhere!

That looks quite serious, i'm surprised you didn't know about this. You're super lucking it didn't grind to a hault.

That looks quite serious, i'm surprised you didn't know about this. You're super lucking it didn't grind to a hault.

Totally agree......no sounds,no loss of power or anything.

I do feel lucky in one respect!

Are you on the 2.0tfsi engine still? I skipped 56 pages.

Any reason not to upgrade to RS3 engine?

Are you on the 2.0tfsi engine still? I skipped 56 pages.

Any reason not to upgrade to RS3 engine?

Not surprised you skipped a few pages!

Well.......aside from all the technical issues.

Yes,I'd think it can be done,but engine wise I'd be starting from scratch again and that would mean a full engine build,new manifolds for inlet and exhaust plus all the programming,so I think it would be pretty shocking cost-wise on top of how far the engine is already set up.

To put it another way,Andy has his TTRS turning around 740bhp,and the S3 engine has already made it into the 600s last year,so I'd need a lot of convincing.

Reactions: Smirky
But aren't the 2.5's a lot more torquier than the 2.0t's? Not arguing just really interested!

Wouldn't the extra displacement decrease lag times or increase response?

I should be in an S3 this time next year depending on housing situation, I would like a manual yellow 3 door with an RS3 engine just for the individuality :D

Torque is an interesting thing...
Mine was producing around 540lbs last time it was on a Dyno so it has to do with boost as well as capacity and timing.

Of course it's easier to get that with a bigger capacity engine but 540+lbs isn't bad. Lol

The problem would be making it all fit and work and it would likely be easier to start with an RS3.

Sorry to hear about the head damage Alex, that is some serious bad luck you've had there, at least it was found in these circumstances though I suppose!

Good that the gearbox and block have joined up so it's not all bad news.

Best of luck in getting a new head!

I just want to give another big thank you to @mjr901 for his help in finding a good deal for a new head.

Mike,you are the man and I am very grateful.

Reactions: S., mjr901, HHS3 and 1 other person
I just want to give another big thank you to @mjr901 for his help in finding a good deal for a new head.

Mike,you are the man and I am very grateful.
I think we need to do a meet near Mike and get him a beer, or two... Maybe ten lol

Sent from a mobile device, please forgive typos :)

Reactions: Cambaines, mjr901, HHS3 and 2 others
I think we need to do a meet near Mike and get him a beer, or two... Maybe ten lol

That would be a great idea.

Once mine is running again let's see what we can do.

Reactions: Cambaines, Sandra, mjr901 and 1 other person
mickey_mouse___take_a_bow__by_melmike_threadless-d5ynfw5.jpg

Reactions: Cambaines, Sandra, leshkin and 1 other person
I already thought of a name for this meet - "The Great ASN Moonshine Run" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NL316, grainqey and S3Alex
Plenty of nice places to stay around Worcester - be nice to have too many drinks one night!

Reactions: Cambaines and Sandra

What a fantastic idea Our Mike gives you all excellent service, Just don't forget the pics, it could get messy, lol. @mjr901 you not be needing your wallet, the boys will pay. :) x x

Reactions: S3Alex, laita and HHS3
Hi Alex,

I've been looking into lightweight pullies / engine dampers recently of which the Fluidampr engine damper is the best one around for about £290 from USP. I've had a search on ASN and it appears you never fitted one with your Spec 3+ Clutch & Steel SMF but I saw on an old thread that you recommended it to someone to help reduce the noise made by a SMF setup (which is the main reason I'm interested in the part).

Did you recommend it because of what you've read/heard elsewhere or due to one of your mates fitting it in their 2.0 TFSI?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Pulleys/Fluidampr-Engine-Damper-2.0T-FSI.html

Cheers.

Hi Alex,

I've been looking into lightweight pullies / engine dampers recently of which the Fluidampr engine damper is the best one around for about £290 from USP. I've had a search on ASN and it appears you never fitted one with your Spec 3+ Clutch & Steel SMF but I saw on an old thread that you recommended it to someone to help reduce the noise made by a SMF setup (which is the main reason I'm interested in the part).

Did you recommend it because of what you've read/heard elsewhere or due to one of your mates fitting it in their 2.0 TFSI?

http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Pulleys/Fluidampr-Engine-Damper-2.0T-FSI.html

Cheers.

Hi...yes,I did look at this,and by then,I think I'd already got one of the many engine builds done,so we never tried one.

I know some people have been very happy with them,and someone(so long ago I can't remember) had done and found it improved the levels of vibration,but equally so,lots of high power engines aren't running them.

Hi...yes,I did look at this,and by then,I think I'd already got one of the many engine builds done,so we never tried one.

I know some people have been very happy with them,and someone(so long ago I can't remember) had done and found it improved the levels of vibration,but equally so,lots of high power engines aren't running them.

Nice one that's good to know thanks, I have yet to see a bad review about these compared to the GFB/Neuspeed lightweight pullies.

I'll only be going to stage 2+ (for now!) so I know I'm not going to benefit a main deal as they're ideally for higher powered engines, particularly revving past 8/8.5K, but it's the reduction of vibrations I'm after for the Spec 2+ clutch & steel SMF next year.