Time for a build thread....big turbo

Cheers for your input Alex. Can't I install the pump under the washer fluid reservoir (keeping it away from water)
I hardly use the windshield washer. But would the 49% meth 51%water mix damage anything if I spray on the windshield/headlights?

I don't think you'd have problems doing that.

Reactions: Mario8P
Well...looks like that catch can catches a lot of stuff very quickly.

When it's nearly full,there's a bit of blow-by from the filter on top of the can,so I decided to empty it again,and got another 200+mls of gunk out today,so that looks like at least 200mls/month of the stuff,that would have been eaten by the engine.

Works out at nearly 2.5L per year,and pretty nasty as well.

When do you plan to take a look at the inlet Alex and see if it has really made a difference?

In the new year when I get the next buid on the way.

I'll have to persuade AMDTuning to scope or take off the inlet when they're fitting the new exhaust manifold and turbo.

Reactions: Ron burgundy and Dean_T
Alex, I've just spend a good few evenings reading this thread from start to finish and can say that, without a shadow of a doubt, you're doing epic things! Massive respect to you for where you've been and where you're taking your S3. I'm now living out my tuning fantasies vicariously through this thread. Keep up the good work, dude. :)

Reactions: S3Alex and Mario8P
Alex, I've just spend a good few evenings reading this thread from start to finish and can say that, without a shadow of a doubt, you're doing epic things! Massive respect to you for where you've been and where you're taking your S3. I'm now living out my tuning fantasies vicariously through this thread. Keep up the good work, dude. :)

Thank you very much.

I've got a few more things in the pipeline,and I just look at what a few others have done with this engine and wish for the time,money and experience!

Have a great Xmas.

Now that Xmas is over,it's time to get things moving.

Waiting for a few details from Nortech re fittings for their manifold(need to know if it's V-band throughout etc) before finalising the turbo build with Owen Developments.

That looks like being a GTX3576 plus all the M-Spec parts,with a smaller A/r than I currently have on the 3076,so it should spool at least as well as the current one,but give me a lot more flow.

I think this will be a pretty costly trip to the tuner....turbo alone is weighing in at £1800,and there's the prospect of the engine needing to come out.....Steve at AMD will love me for that.

Reactions: Compkiler, KentKid, TTE Si and 2 others
Now that Xmas is over,it's time to get things moving.

Waiting for a few details from Nortech re fittings for their manifold(need to know if it's V-band throughout etc) before finalising the turbo build with Owen Developments.

That looks like being a GTX3576 plus all the M-Spec parts,with a smaller A/r than I currently have on the 3076,so it should spool at least as well as the current one,but give me a lot more flow.

I think this will be a pretty costly trip to the tuner....turbo alone is weighing in at £1800,and there's the prospect of the engine needing to come out.....Steve at AMD will love me for that.
Best of luck my man! Keep us posted

Reactions: S3Alex
Sounds interesting. Not considered a KKK Unit ? K26 or K27 would be comparable to above Garrets

Reactions: S3Alex and Mario8P
Sounds interesting. Not considered a KKK Unit ? K26 or K27 would be comparable to above Garrets

Cut my head open and it says Garrett inside.

Seriously though I didn't think of those as Owen do some very nice mods on the GTX turbos.

I've been really happy with the service and help from Owens and it wasn't a difficult choice to stick with them plus they do all of the BTCC turbos.

Yeah there good guys and very professional.

Just over in Germany KKK stages are very popular too and i think people not really up on the other options in the UK.

Reactions: Mario8P and S3Alex
Yeah there good guys and very professional.

Just over in Germany KKK stages are very popular too and i think people not really up on the other options in the UK.
I think that's right.

Like Precision Turbo in the US and some parts of Europe they aren't so popular over here for whatever reason.

Yeah we work with those too, but not often.

A little taster....

Reactions: mrc013, Mario8P, Ron burgundy and 1 other person
Really like the billet collector on the manifold.

I just like the whole pipe thing.....

Reactions: S3_Mat
Yeah I get that.. But the nortech billet collector is a work of art. I looked at using them for our own exhaust manifolds. We looked at cnc in house for our own for our 5 cyclinder manis the work/machine time and seting up is much, but defo the way to go

Anyway all that kit you shared looks fun ;)

I'm waiting on it all fitting together first!!

Reactions: Mario8P and TTE Si
What are you expecting to get out of this that you're not getting out of the current setup?

What are you expecting to get out of this that you're not getting out of the current setup?

More!

Seriously though,a few things.

Firstly,I can't really run any more boost on the current turbo,at 2.2bar,and a bigger turbo will allow more flow at the same boost,or more at 2.3-2.4bar.

Next,the addition of a tubular exhaust manifold should release a few more horses along the way,plus maybe a bit more torque.

All that paves the way to get the extra injectors set up,as there's no point on the current turbo,and then a trip to get the whole lot custom mapped.

More!

Seriously though,a few things.

Firstly,I can't really run any more boost on the current turbo,at 2.2bar,and a bigger turbo will allow more flow at the same boost,or more at 2.3-2.4bar.

Next,the addition of a tubular exhaust manifold should release a few more horses along the way,plus maybe a bit more torque.

All that paves the way to get the extra injectors set up,as there's no point on the current turbo,and then a trip to get the whole lot custom mapped.

LOL. What I mean is, You must be struggling to find other cars on the road to trash. What are you aiming at, 600+bhp?

LOL. What I mean is, You must be struggling to find other cars on the road to trash. What are you aiming at, 600+bhp?

I think I could sensibly stop at 600bhp if we get there.

I keep trying to remember that great Walter Rohrl quote which goes something like this...
"A car is just fast enough when you look at it in the morning and are afraid to put the keys in the ignition..."

In my case it's just "the older I get,the faster I was...."

Reactions: superkarl, veeeight, Dean_T and 2 others
I've also found a load of transmission parts,inc a dog box and so on,leaving some scope there as well.

Not sure about a dog box for the road,but uprated shafts and gears would be worthwhile in the long run.
I think my biggest niggle right now is the mapping.....I think the car has gone beyond what the existing software is designed for,and there's a bit of a hole at 4500rpm under full load,plus a few other minor issues.

It should be possible to get custom mapping around all of these issues,and maybe also eliminate the MAF,allowing a wider inlet instead of the restriction there.

Reactions: DeckedS3, S. and Mario8P
If you end up with unicorn remap get the no lift shift option too. I bet it would be scary fast (it will be even without nls). you'll end up thinking about Walters words every morning :laugh:
great job on pushing the limits further!!

If you end up with unicorn remap get the no lift shift option too. I bet it would be scary fast (it will be even without nls). you'll end up thinking about Walters words every morning :laugh:
great job on pushing the limits further!!

I think I've got a lot to talk to Rick about soon.

I wanted to simply get the thing running with the bigger turbo,and manifold,before thinking about the mapping.

When we get around to that,I need to talk about getting rid of the hole in the existing mapping,and then what we can do with other things like:

Either a bigger MAF housing or doing away with the MAF altogether.

Running the extra injectors.....either when the RS4s max out,or using S3 injectors up to around 360bhp and then bringing in the extra ones from there.

Raising the rpm limit a little,now that the valvetrain is run in nicely.

Then maybe things like that flatshift.....

Reactions: Mario8P and S.
The MAF housing is where I think APR have been able to maximise their stage 3 kit. If you can get a bigger MAF and get it mapped properly you will see a nice bump in power there.

Reactions: S.
Thoughts on the new catch can system.

It fills completely every 3-4 weeks at most and has roughly the same capacity as the Forge so it's clearly MUCH more efficient in collecting the muck as it should be.

Just a bit messy on a regular basis.

Averaging around 200mls every month.

Well...that's an expensive afternoon.

I need to keep working for a few more yrs yet.

Nortech are providing the exhaust manifold,exhaust downpipe,Turbosmart 45mm HyperGate,and a manifold heatshield.

Owen Developments are making up a GTX3582R with M-Spec internals,and Tial exhaust housing with 0.83 A/r

Yummy.

Reactions: KentKid, superkarl, Alex_Wil and 1 other person
Let the drooling begin

I already am.

I must say that not only have Owen Developments been as helpful as ever(and that's Scott at Owens to thank for all of that),in giving me advice on turbo dimensions,fittings,internals,lag etc etc,but Nortech have also been very helpful,and full of new ideas and a few developments that really do sound just right for the inlet side of things.

I know that everyone has assured me that all of this gear will fit(and the Tial exhaust housing was chosen as it's much lighter and smaller than the Garrett housing),but this sort of thing always makes me sweat until I've seen it fitted and working.

I already am.

I must say that not only have Owen Developments been as helpful as ever(and that's Scott at Owens to thank for all of that),in giving me advice on turbo dimensions,fittings,internals,lag etc etc,but Nortech have also been very helpful,and full of new ideas and a few developments that really do sound just right for the inlet side of things.

I know that everyone has assured me that all of this gear will fit(and the Tial exhaust housing was chosen as it's much lighter and smaller than the Garrett housing),but this sort of thing always makes me sweat until I've seen it fitted and working.
Wish we have garages with experience in VAG cars locally.

You deserve all the best Alex, really!
Best of luck on your current project my man.

All the stuff I do on my car including debugging issues are done from my online research and all you guys help.

When it comes to JDM + BMW's we have some great mechanics that can support. But when it comes to VAG car its lacking.

Wish we have garages with experience in VAG cars locally.

You deserve all the best Alex, really!
Best of luck on your current project my man.

All the stuff I do on my car including debugging issues are done from my online research and all you guys help.

When it comes to JDM + BMW's we have some great mechanics that can support. But when it comes to VAG car its lacking.

Thanks my friend.

I've always had so much help and ideas from here and VAGOC,plus occasional VWVortex,and that's got me to where I am now.

The companies I've dealt with such as Owens,USP,Integrated Engineering amongst others,have been outstanding,and AMDTuning have put up with my excesses,and been able to make most of the plans work.

Fingers crossed for this lot,and more of Steve's magic.

Good work Alex, I like the look of the Nortech kit it crossed my radar too late for me. It turns out good results as well, Hurdys golf r runs their kit if I remember right.

I think increasing the size of your MAF intake would be a good way forward as Decked says more air equals more power

Good luck with the build you know it's in good hands