Tighten up handbrake ????

dplovin

Reaction score
As title says my cars just failed mot on my handbrake, it does work bit it has to be pulled all the way up for it to. Front and back pads are fine. Anybody know how to tighten it up

You could try winding the pistons right in then pumping the brakes hard before pulling on the handbrake.

I believe its all self adjusting which is done by a combination of winding the pistons back and resetting the mechanism at the rear of the hand brake lever

without looking in the manual I cant remember the exact procedure

Should auto adjust unless the cables stretched

Check the return spring/mechanism on the caliper to see if it is seized. You need to dismantle, etc. While you're there - put a little Lockheed red grease under the rubber dust sleeve on the caliper. :racer:

The cable ends are prone to fraying, so lubricate with a little marine grease, and put a zip tie on the rubber grommet on the handbrake cable to keep road salt and grit at bay.

Reactions: crazy88
My near side rear wheel occasionally has brake sticking. Think this might also fix that? (sorry to thread hijack)

My near side rear wheel occasionally has brake sticking. Think this might also fix that? (sorry to thread hijack)

It will. Personally, I'd get a caliper seal kit from Audi and replace the 'o' ring seal on the piston bore, dust sleeve, etc. Good opportunity to bleed the brakes. One tip... when winding the piston back in after replacing the seal, open the brake nipple valve. The handbrake is prone to seizing as roads are wet and dirty, etc. Leave the car in gear (on the level) and don't haul the handbrake on until better weather arrives. Use a little Lockheed red grease under the dust sleeve to add protection and lubrication.

Last edited:
Cheers dude. I've never done anything with brakes before, so I'll have a look and if I decide I'm a wimp I'll have it over to my local indie man :)

I assume it's a sticking brake, the only thing that makes me think it is that sometimes my wheel gets rather hot after a journey.

Also, when pressing on brake or applying the handbrake, should you see much movement in the pads? I couldn't see any either side. Should there be much air gap between the pad and disc?

Cheers dude. I've never done anything with brakes before, so I'll have a look and if I decide I'm a wimp I'll have it over to my local indie man :)

I assume it's a sticking brake, the only thing that makes me think it is that sometimes my wheel gets rather hot after a journey.

Also, when pressing on brake or applying the handbrake, should you see much movement in the pads? I couldn't see any either side. Should there be much air gap between the pad and disc?

It will be sticking. You can test the brakes by driving for 5-10 minutes then coast to a stop. Now check the discs to touch... should be cold. Anything hot or even warm is a sign of a sticky caliper. There is very little space between the pads and disc on the rear brakes, so any problems tend to manifest themselves here, as the piston bore is self adjusting as the pads wear. It needs to be screwed in and out with a brake tool during assembly and disassembly. Good write up here in the B5 area.
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/182572-inside-rear-caliper-b5-a4.html