Thumbing a ride?

Ghost

Booooooo!
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
When out for a drive this weekend, just as I was coming to the end of the village I was driving through,(not local) there was a hitchhiker on the side of the road.

Now I didn’t stop, I had room in the car but I didn’t stop! but as I’m driving away for a hitchhiker I always feel bad for not stopping, but in the back of my mind I just feel it maybe dangerous?

Just wondering do any of you pick up hitchhikers or any thoughts on this.

I usual just thumb them back and drive past looking at there reaction in my mirror lol
sad I know but has to be done

Reactions: Zak0123
Exactly!!
nervous.gif

Nah mate, too many scary movies have been watched for me to stop..........

Although a few weeks ago, I was putting the rubbish out and an old Irish man came upto me and asked me the directions to a pub nearby, now he was old, smelly and already half cut.

I directed him, he went on his way and I came back inside, but something at the back of my mind was saying what I said was not right, so I quickly googled the place and as I thought, I sent him to the wrong Irish pub!!! (there are two on either side of the road where I live)

I felt really bad, so I got out drove up the road and pulled up next to him, I explained the situation and said I would drop him to the right pub, he was overwhelmed, then he got in and said God Bless Ya about 100 times and then went on to say I probably wont even get in as ive been banned from there and I suffer from Bipolar!!!!

I got him to the pub quick sharp and that was the last I saw of him...the missus wasnt happy when I got back in (i took her car...lol)

I picked a plater up a while back in Banbury,I did ask him if his jeans were dirty first as he wasn't getting in if they were :no:
Also picked two hitchhikers up at Toddington services and dropped the lovely pair in London :eyebrows:

just do what needs to be done stop, then when they get close to the car drive off...

when i was little my mam and dad picked up a Russian woman, she was well happy and she gave use a wooden spoon from Russian it was all hand crafted and painted. still get the spoon some where ill take a photo.

A few years ago I picked up a guy in army uniform thumbing a lift on the A14 near Huntingdon. It wasn't just raining, it was torrential.

15 minutes later and I broke down. Just conked out. Got out into the rain to have a look under the bonnet, but to be honest I had no idea what I was looking for. I got back in the car and told him I was sorry, but I was going to have to walk to the next junction.

He said don't worry, I have AA membership, we walked to the roadside phone and he called the AA who came out 40 minutes later and fixed my car.

:)

Karma!

I dropped him off the other side of Cambridge, real nice bloke and a life saver!

When I was field engineer I use to pick up hitchhikers from all over the place.
Never felt threatened or worried, not my van, not my kit, never had any money in my wallet, so as long as they did not kill me I did not care.
But never had any issues, all seemed nice enough, some smelt, some never spoke but most was pleasant enough.

I feel bad driving past them at the moment but I'm not letting them in my car. lol