Throttle sensor/switch.

Lee Goodall

Reaction score
I seem to be having an issue with my throttle position sensor/switch and it seems like I am going to need to replace if possible the sensor/switch alone or the entire throttle body.

Is it possible to replace just the sensor/switch? Would it be safer to replace the whole throttle body in case it is a fault with the T.B?

Anybody know a rough price for a new T.B?

Its integrated into the TB mate, and also encompasses the ICV.

Craigs S4 was doing something similar, and after a £300quote for a new one, we fixed it by swapping out the PCB on the side of the TB with one form some 1.6L Seat TB. You might even get away with taking the cover off and giving the tracks a clean

The S4 is DBW, although it seemed that all the PCB's were the same on any DBW throttle body, even though the butterfly was much smaller on the seat one. You might find a similar story with the 1.8T item, although seen as they're much more common it might be easier to aquire another TB from a breaker rather than fiddling with it.

Cheers aragorn,

I think a replacement T.B. is on the cards really as I can't diagnose exactly what is causing the fault. I wonder if anybody does a recon item? Maybe part ex my old unit.

..Unless anybody on ASN has one they want rid of?

bbreman were advertising S4 ones on their website from £110 when craig looked, however when he called, they wanted him to send his TB in for remanufacturing, as they didnt have any on the shelf.

We ended up trying the seat PCB as it cost us £15 on ebay, and meant he wouldnt be without a car for a week.

Still might be worth taking the black cover off the side and seeing if you can clean up the PCB tracks though.

bbreman were advertising S4 ones on their website from £110 when craig looked, however when he called, they wanted him to send his TB in for remanufacturing, as they didnt have any on the shelf.

We ended up trying the seat PCB as it cost us £15 on ebay, and meant he wouldnt be without a car for a week.

Still might be worth taking the black cover off the side and seeing if you can clean up the PCB tracks though.

I'll have a look to see what's available.. I may have found a replacement already.

Yeah think I'll whip the cover off and have a look anyway. Cheers.

After modifying an A3 throttle body and finding that it wasn't compatible I still really need a replacement throttle body.

If anyone has one or knows of anyone who is selling one then please let me know.

Oh yeah.. anyone got a spare Lambda probe for an AEB?

Cheers.

Just ordered a new throttle control unit for my AEB.

Part no. 058133063C

Managed to get a new one with Audi warranty for £170.00 which seems good to me.

if you dont mind me asking lee, wot is wrong with your car? mine is booked in next thursday to be looked at as i think the lambda sensors need to changed, i was just wondering wot the car feels like when its driven as i wonder if i mite have the same sort of prblem with my throttle bodies and they mite need to be changed or cleaned up or summin!

im only saying i need lambda sensors changed cuz these are the results i had from vagcom:

VCDS Version: Release 805.3
Data version: 20090213

Saturday,25,April,2009,13:11:40:58573

Chassis Type: 8D - Audi A4 B5
Scan: 01 02 03 08 15 16 17 25 35 37 45 55 56 57 67 75 76 77

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 078-907-551-AZA.lbl
Part No: 8D0 907 551 D
Component: 2.7l V6/5VT G 0002
Coding: 05711
Shop #: WSC 00590

6 Faults Found:
16538 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B2 S1: No Activity
P0154 - 35-00 - -
16514 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit
P0130 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17536 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
P1128 - 35-00 - -
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17528 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating; B2 S1: Open Circuit
P1120 - 35-00 - -
17538 - Fuel Trim; Bank 2 (Mult): System too Lean
P1130 - 35-00 - -
Readiness: 0000 0000

Address 35: Centr. Locks Labels: 8D0-862-257.lbl
Part No: 8D0 862 257 E
Component: CV-Pump, Alarm, RC D13
Coding: 15178
Shop #: WSC 06325

6 Faults Found:
01374 - Alarm triggered by Terminal 15
35-00 - -
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
01368 - Alarm triggered by Luggage Compartment Switch
35-00 - -
00955 - Key 1
09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed
00956 - Key 2
09-00 - Adaptation Limit Surpassed
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)
49-00 - No Communications

Address 45: Inter. Monitor Labels: 4B0-951-173.lbl
Part No: 4B0 951 173
Component: Innenraumueberw. D03
Coding: 00101
Shop #: WSC 06325

No fault code found.

End

does anyone agree with me that they need to be changed? the car is really jerky when driving and a vibration coming from the engine. would lambda sensrs cause such a problem to my S4 if they were nackered?

cheers mark, guess its an expensive thursday for me.

hope you get the car sorted lee.

Both 02 sensors are knackered mate, no doubt

Lee, can you not steal the board from the A3 TB?

Yeah.. The fault codes all point to faulty Lambda sensors I'd say too.

I assume there's a difference between the two T.Bs.. Externally everything lines up, the throttle plate sits in the same position and is the same size but it runs like poop. The only difference was the Vac connection on the bottom that I removed and plugged for clearance.

T.B. has just arrived. Looks like a weekend of servicing and work on my motor..

aebthrottlebody.jpg

You are just trying to make your car as fast as mine,lmao.

Seriously thats nice and shiny, i like shiny parts. I hope it cures your problem for you

You are just trying to make your car as fast as mine,lmao.

Seriously thats nice and shiny, i like shiny parts. I hope it cures your problem for you

What you mean de-tune mine? lol

Yeah.. my current T.B. is ******. Idle is very poor, throttle's lumpy to about 2K and I'm getting a code indicating dead T.B.

Cheers mate.

What you mean de-tune mine? lol
:faint:

Probably tbh, mine has been driven quite sedatley to save fuel lately, when i get to the strip it will explode !!
I need to chase his ECU thing some more, time just seem to run away

Yeah, I know what you mean.. I had big plans before GTI Inters but I'll be lucky to get quarter of it actually done in time.

Definitely need to get a plan of action with the ECU.. I might even consider a bigger turbo, injectors, MAF and new/rebuilt AEB if I can find somebody who will map the flashable ECU properly.

took my car into euro performance today for diagnostic, it needs a new lambda sensor and the throttle bodies cleaned and re-aligned all in £256 for parts and bout 2 hours labour............. is this a good price do you reckon lads?

Price isn't too bad but you could do it yourself in an hour or so for a lot less.. I pressume your throttle bodies don't self align then mate?

I couldn't wait for the weekend so swapped the throttle bodies last night.. Problem solved. Now idles like a good'en :)

IMG00056.jpg