1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Throttle position Eleven whats it for, is it the kick down?

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Flugel Hound, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Flugel Hound

Flugel Hound Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    With ref to this thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3...n-switch-manual-transmission.html#post2050765

made me play with what I would call throttle position Eleven the extra click you feel past the normal throttle pedal action of the scale 0-10.

With the car in dynamic, the car seems to pull from throttle position 3 onwards i realise its rpm dependant.
    But for kick down I would imagine you want kick down at say 5, I think 11 would be a bit late.

So what is 11 for?
    Noticed the clever blighter's have no click when lifting off.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 8, 2014]
    According to the A3/S3 Owner's Manual it's only relevant when the Drive Select is set to Efficiency
  4. Flugel Hound

Flugel Hound Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    As in, 11 tells the engine management "I want dynamic response, and I want it now"?
  5. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

[Jan 8, 2014]
    Yep. It is used for automatics as well to tell them you want the maximum acceleration it can give you, so it'll normally 'kick down' a gear. On the cars I've had with a speed limiter, it overrides that as well in case you need to in a hurry.
  6. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

[Jan 9, 2014]
    From what I see in my car it is relevant in all modes (except possibly Dynamic).

S-Tronic will kick down without going as far as the click, but it jumps down more gears with the click, and even kicks down in Manual gear mode when you hear the click.

The 'mega' kick down in manual with the click can be a pain sometimes as it can kick down too far; to the point of the red line, so not as much torque when you get there (as they are turbo-charged after all). Change up 1 gear and it bolts (with a real kick in the back).

John.
  7. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 9, 2014]
    Yes what I should have said was that it is only relevant to a Manual in efficiency mode. It works in all modes on an s-tronic
    JohnnyM100 likes this.
  8. Cumbrian_bob

Cumbrian_bob Member

[Jan 9, 2014]
    "11 is one louder"

Cant believe nobody mentioned the Spinal Tap reference
    Flugel Hound likes this.