Throttle Pedal not responsive, no error codes?

J8TT X

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an A4 1.9tdi 130. 2001, with high miles.

3 times in the last 3 months I have had a problem when the throttle pedal stops working, there’s no revs and the car just roles to a stop. The car will only move on clutch.
If left for a couple of hours the car drives without any problems. It just seems completely random.
I’ve had AA come and check it out, they think it’s the throttle response but there is no error codes when checked.
I’ve asked my garage to check and he is not sure what it could be as it is driving fine now.
The carpet is dry so I don’t think it could be water damage?

Anyone had similar issues? Should I just replace the throttle pedal and hope itfixes it?
Without an error I am pretty stumped and don’t want to be replacing parts when it might not need it.
I am looking to sell soon so I was hoping not to spend any more money on it.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

id bet its a faulty brake light switch, the ecu cannot determin if you have pressed it deliberatly or if its on because of a failure

Reactions: Zman6000
i didnt thing the break light switch had anything to do with the throttle
i can still drive mine with a ****ed switch.

Im not sure if it is the brake light switch thats causing it, but i'll google it and see if i can find any more info on it.
Anyone else has any other ideas?

Thanks

you cant use the throttle and brake at the same time so it could be the switch if its contacting as though it been used

I'm sure there was a guy on here that had something similar and it turned out to be water getting in the ecu area and affecting the wiring

Thanks Stu,

but im assuming that if water was in the ECU it would cause some faults to be logged, im not getting any.

Not always funny old cars these

I would check your brake switch first though as I say if its faulty and contacting as though your braking your throttle will stop working and that wont cause a error code

take the car for a drive down a quiet street and gently apply the brake with your left foot while pressing the throttle it will cut the throttle its to prevent left foot braking as a safety measure and people pretending they are rally drivers!

i didnt thing the break light switch had anything to do with the throttle
i can still drive mine with a ****ed switch.

bez when you say yours is shafted is it putting the brake lights on? or just not working?

take the car for a drive down a quiet street and gently apply the brake with your left foot while pressing the throttle it will cut the throttle its to prevent left foot braking as a safety measure and people pretending they are rally drivers!

Ill try this tonight

Check the Plenum chamber for water ingress. Leaking seal on the ECU compartment is a known source of problems too

This happen to me in a VW Passat after a car wash visit. Few hours in sun and it was back to normal.

It was one time occurrence. There must be something that isn't waterproof and if you get water in there you won't get throttle. We didn't bother.

There are 2 drain plugs in the Plenum chamber which clog up. One under the battery, & the other under the brake servo. There is also a seal for the lid of the ECU box that can fail. One of the symptoms of this can be loss of throttle pedal response.

I had an ECU box seal failure which coincided with random limp modes and no throttle response - however I did have fault codes and it related to accelerator position sensor.

Audi dealer decided it wasn't this and opted to replace the ECU box, car didn't replicate the fault until I got home when it did it again.

Finally resulting in Audi replacing accelerator pedal unit free of charge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Thanks,

A couple of things I need to look at then when my mechanic gets back from holiday!