Throttle Body faulty?

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Thought the old girl felt a little shy on power and have noticed that as soon as I bring the ignition lights up the TB starts whirring rather than the usual delay before it recalibrates itself. Also found on starting the engine revs dip and sometimes it stalls itself.

Didn't throw a fault code but something's not quite right.

Any ideas before I part with money for a replacement?

Anybody? Now have misfire and jolting. Still no fault codes.

The moment the ignition lights are brought up the throttle body whirs like it's trying to sort itself.

I've found a few throttle bodies on ebay but all seem to have a different part number. Anybody know for sure what I can use. Don't want to buy one and find it no good to me.

Its not a throttle issue if your getting missfires.

No fault codes for the throttle, then ignore it.

Check for split hoses around the inlet manifold. My dads had a missfire and jolting, and it was one of the bigger vacuum pipes that come off the manifold had split after the jubilee clip and was ******* out boost.

Are you sure as after the Ecu had been out it wouldn't run and misfired like mad until the TB had the adaption performed where it was spot on for a few months. Also the TB whirs like it's trying to do something as soon as the ignition lights are brought up. Rather than silent and then after 30 seconds whirring while it does the adaption.

I had a similar misfire about a year ago, I changed the ignition control module and it cured it - but it was not pulling up any fault codes !

I would imagine its normal to hear the TB move immediately? The last time you drove the car it was probably hot, and its now cold and thus will require a different throttle position for starting, so it makes sense that the throttle would adjust itself straight away.

I've had my battery on and off numerous times over the years of owning B5's, and ive NEVER done a throttle adaption or had any missfires. My track cars always parked up with the battery disconnected so it doesnt go flat, and the only thing it does is idle a bit low/unstable immediately after starting it for the first time after reconnecting the battery, kinda like how it idles with an air leak. Once it warms up and settles itself down it starts and idles fine from then on.