Thread Prefix System - How it works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to gather evidence on something like that.

That's my point mate. It's impossible to tell whether you're right or not so your claims are unfounded.

The forum still runs okay though :yes:

That's my point mate. It's impossible to tell whether you're right or not so your claims are unfounded.

The forum still runs okay though :yes:

But as mentioned, there is something that can be done to make the point of my comments un-unfounded, or blow them out of the water.

I've always said that my comments are just what I think. And going by what I've read, most people who speak up are shooting from a similar angle.

But yeah, you're right, the forum still runs well, just maybe not as pleasing to the eye, or brain! :)

Now hurry up with that poll sir ;)

Well i vote for a poll. i can see no reason why S3 owners should get their threads sorted and not Diesel drivers or 3.2 owners for that matter.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why there's a need for a big decision about whether or not a poll is allowed, and the reason does kinda point towards it being about the outcome.
But either way they want to make that decision, so I guess let them make it.

In the meantime maybe we could have a poll on whether or not to have a poll?? :lmfao:

I hardly think those results prove anything! :tocktock:

Look, I for one fully agree there should be a poll and am willing to accept the result either way, but allow the admin team to do things their way. Let's not get childish about it.

I will post later on with my thoughts on the subject to try and show you my point of view.

Lets be grown up about this chaps, you can poll all you like, if the admin team feel the prefix system is here to stay, there really isn't much you can do. :no:

Leon has asked you to wait until later until everyone concerned has had time to catch up with whats occuring.:detective2:

Not everyone can access a PC all day, everyday.

If Leon says it will happen, it will in OUR own time.

As for the poll to have a poll, well..............:icon_thumright:

But surely the "all concerned" is actually the 16,821 active members? While you're all deciding whether or not to ask people if they like it, the majority of those using it could have let you know the answer. Yes, I agree, it's down to the admin/mod team to decide what to do with that answer, but how was there ever anything wrong with Wizbit asking the question?

As a n00b I'm finding the prefix system useful.

The colour coding gives me an overview as I pick out threads of interest, certainly I'm not just reading one group exclusively.

It could be just because I've got an S3 though!

Another 2 cents where it wasn't needed... :scared2:

Not necessarily.

A poll will be coming and if the masses require it gone then, meh.

TBH i thought it was the masses that wanted a prefix/seperate section.

Will there be a minimum majority required?
Or is a win by one, a couple, a few votes a winner??

Exciting!!

Not necessarily.

A poll will be coming and if the masses require it gone then, meh.

TBH i thought it was the masses that wanted a prefix/seperate section.

There was a poll, it got closed by the admin. :weight_lift2:

It was closed because a decision to even have a poll hasn't been made or even discussed yet with the admin team. Also the outcome of a poll would need to be discussed AND the terms of the poll.

Have some patience.

Last edited:
I knew it was wrong but I couldn't remember what it was supposed to be :readit:

Poll terms:
Please vote* for or against prefix system.

Well it's not really that simple, but I'm not going to discuss it here.

*Please note, only votes for will be counted.

I'm not sure why you think that we would just ignore the results of any poll. Do you have any past experience with the ASN admin team that makes you think that or were you just trying to be funny?

I'm getting a bit bored of this now. It's not like this is some imminent decision that needs to be made right now. The admin team have other things to do than discuss something that only came to light because of one little disagreement in another thread. Before that this thread hadn't been posted in for 3 weeks!

FactionOne is the man in charge and he's a busy guy so lets give it a rest for now.

TBH Leon, I don't think it's only come to light because of that disagreement. I think with Rob originally posting:

Rob said:
Again, we're just in a testing phase at the moment. We've got to see how effective/useful it is to people, and how much they like it.

people were giving it time to run before voicing their opinions. After 3 weeks of use, people have got used to it and now feel sure enough (one way or the other) to say how they think it's working or not, for them. I really don't understand why there was a problem with one member deciding to ask everyone's opinion, whether he was part of the admin team or not. If nothing else, it would have given the admin team something to base their discussions on.

Last edited:
Well it's not really that simple, but I'm not going to discuss it here.

I'm not sure why you think that we would just ignore the results of any poll. Do you have any past experience with the ASN admin team that makes you think that or were you just trying to be funny?

I'm getting a bit bored of this now. It's not like this is some imminent decision that needs to be made right now. The admin team have other things to do than discuss something that only came to light because of one little disagreement in another thread. Before that this thread hadn't been posted in for 3 weeks!

FactionOne is the man in charge and he's a busy guy so lets give it a rest for now.

Yep... I was; or as you put it, trying to inject a little humour into it, because when you think about it, it ain't really all that serious.
;)

All this discussing whether a poll is allowed and when it's allowed and terms and closing threads cos a poll was started and etc etc.... just don't think it's that much of a serious issue. That's all. :kiss:

Last edited:
people were giving it time to run before voicing their opinions. After 3 weeks of use, people have got used to it and now feel sure enough (one way or the other) to say how they think it's working or not, for them. I really don't understand why there was a problem with one member deciding to ask everyone's opinion, whether he was part of the admin team or not. If nothing else, it would have given the admin team something to base their discussions on.

I agree yes now the subject has reared it's head everyone wants to put their input in and that's fine. BUT I had already stated that I would get back to them on the subject of a poll. To then go and create a poll only serves to show that I have been ignored. A poll run from the admin team would be different, so to leave that poll open just means that everyone would have to vote twice. Some probably wouldn't vote the second time either.

Ultimately if everyone managed to wait 3 weeks without a peep then they can wait a bit longer for a response from us.

Lol this thread reminds me of the type of over-moderation that plagued migweb a few years ago. I guess not being a regular in 8P gives me a pair of fresh eyes and frankly its quite pathetic.

A member of the forum should be free to create a poll on anything he likes, and closing it just says "we dont give a cr*p what you think, we'll do it our way, so shut your mouth". Saying "an admin poll would be different" or "terms need to be created for a poll" is simply made up spin. If the admin want to do their own poll thats fine, but it makes no odds if a member of the forum wants to create his own poll on something.

You dont see the government trying to shut down/ban some newspaper because they're running a poll on a topic the gov't dont want to talk about, unless ofcourse you live in a stalinist dictatorship.

Got to love how power goes to peoples heads eh?

You're totally wrong. We do care what people think. If we didn't FactionOne wouldn't have created this thread for people to post their views on the subject.

The point is I told everyone that I would let them know about the poll. WiZBiT then decided to take matters into his own hands. Firstly I think that's pretty rude when I had promised otherwise. Secondly, as I already said, the poll would be different if run by us so the results would be different. Thirdly I'm pretty sure that there will be people who would vote on that poll who would then not be bothered about voting the second time, thereby affecting the results.

It's not over moderation, it's us trying to do our best to improve the site in a fair manner.

It seems to me the main issue that needs addressed is the minimum search length changed from 3 to 2 characters. That way searches for "S3 Random Part here" would work.

The prefix system relys on the people posting knowing what is and isnt S3 specific, and lets face it, given the same engines are used across the range, simply in different states of tune, and quattro is available across the range, the only differences are going to be some bodywork and interior fittings.

Theres only going to be a relatively small number of topics that are infact truly S3 specific, but you will find that people that own an S3 posting any question without much technical knowledge that the particular part or component is range wide will mark it as S3 because they dont know any better. Which either means that you'll reduce the possible audiance or have constant moderation interruptions in every other thread saying "change this to 8P please"

Altering the search system to allow two character search terms would help the ENTIRE website, not just this one forum, and i think thats where the focus should be.

as I already said, the poll would be different if run by us so the results would be different.

Can you explain that one??

Surely no matter how the poll is set up people are still either for or against the prefix system. Therefore the result will be the same who ever did the poll or how it is worded etc.

Guys, you can have as many polls as you like, the results will be the results. Until we have gotten hold of the Admins none of us can act upon it, simple. We are looking at setting it up when admin staff are around to act upon the outcome. Thats the issue as i see it.

Why not just start the poll and worry about acting on the results when you have some results to act on?!

I really cant see why a poster has his poll shut down so the admin can have an identical poll. IMHO he was doing you a favour.

Can you explain that one??

Surely no matter how the poll is set up people are still either for or against the prefix system. Therefore the result will be the same who ever did the poll or how it is worded etc.

wording is all important aythreee.

Question 1/
Do you think that the prefix system is totally unnecessary bureaucracy imposed on us by force in a so called democracy by faceless bureaucrats who hide behind nick names and who's real desire is to control your internet access to feed their need for power ?.. Or shall we keep the prefix system ?

Question 2
Given the choice would you rather we throw this party of nuns with their accompanying orphans, each holding a fluffy kitten , into the fires of hell and damnation for etternaty...........or shall we keep the prefix system ?

Yea...i know...good bye democracy and the nuns and kittens :yes:

I just can't believe the amount of excuses, not reasons, that are flying around. Have a read back through some of this thread. It's becoming laughable.

And as much as it is being denied I honestly think that if most members appeared to want the prefixes (because please let's be realistic, at the moment the general feeling towards it is a negative one) then starting a poll wouldn't be half as much of an issue.

Just start the poll, with the simple question "Do you want to keep or get rid of the prefix system". It really doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that. The "terms" do not need to be intricately constructed, and the results will not require dissecting/mulling over/forensic analysis.... they will sing out a very clear 'we like it' or 'we hate it'. It really is as simple as that.

wording is all important aythreee.

Question 1/
Do you think that the prefix system is totally unnecessary bureaucracy imposed on us by force in a so called democracy by faceless bureaucrats who hide behind nick names and who's real desire is to control your internet access to feed their need for power ?.. Or shall we keep the prefix system ?

Question 2
Given the choice would you rather we throw this party of nuns with their accompanying orphans, each holding a fluffy kitten , into the fires of hell and damnation for etternaty...........or shall we keep the prefix system ?

Yea...i know...good bye democracy and the nuns and kittens :yes:

I have to say in all honesty, i do like your tone, i do not hide behind anything, never have. My opinion on the prefixes is irrelivant, they are here currently and you need to deal with it. If and when they go, you will need to learn to deal with that too. Kittens or no kittens.

Now can we leave it here for now, or the nuns and kittens get it............:gun2:

Status
Not open for further replies.