This Time I'm Doing It Properly. AEB Tuning Advice Please

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

Firstly, please let me apologise for my loooong absence. I have been visiting every now and again, but I never had anything particularly interesting to say, and god knows I didn't have any advice worth giving anybody. It's been a busy couple of years, and I've come through them nicely settled down, and with a few quid to play with.

Most importantly, I still have my A4.

20141210 104515

It's on 120k miles now and still going strong. It is, however, in need of a cambelt change. Also, oil consumption has gone up a bit, and the coolant system is full of this:

20141210 123611

It smells like emulsion paint and there's loads of it. It's obviously oil in water. My suspicion is that it's being caused by the oil cooler having an internal leak; there's no sign of oil being burnt, the compression is excellent and the oil cap / dipstick are clean. So I'm going to fit a new oil cooler anyway. And a new coolant expansion tank cos it's just too horrible and filthy. And a new radiator because It's full of the same stuff, as well as being leaky and having had countless bottles of radweld thrown at it.

20141210 151005

So I'm doing the cambelt, I did this before five years ago so I'm reasonably confident that this'll go without too much trouble.

So, here's where I need advice. I love my A4, I really do. I'm now at a point where I want to optimise it and turn it into what it could be. I never got around to chipping it, I've had a lot of fun with the standard 150hp. Time for some fun, after all these years.

With it exposed and all the fluids drained, I'm in an excellent position to replace the turbo. After 120k miles it probably isn't a terrible idea anyway. What I'm looking for is pretty much a direct replacement, but one which, when properly set up will give me a worthwhile performance boost. I have realistic expectations; being an FWD I'm not looking for dragstrip prowess. But I live somewhere where the country roads are amazing. More mid-range grunt would be fantastic. I'm also planning to upgrade to 300mm front discs, for which I believe I need TT caliper carriers, which should bolt straight on.

I know that a lot of you guys are absolute wizards and can rattle off part numbers in your sleep. What I'm looking to do is produce a shopping list.

I'm sticking with the same front bumper; the only way I can upgrade the intercooler is if there's one that fits in the same place with the same fixings and connections. I am aware that I'll be needing to replace the injectors, this is something I'm happy to do, I just need to be able to order the right ones!

I presume that, being that I'm not looking to run high boost for really extended periods of time, my existing fuel pump will be sufficient. I'm ready to be told I'm wrong, though!

Finally, once I've got it all bolted together and it all needs setting up, can I presume there are still places who can map a 1998 (pre facelift) AEB ecu? I live about an hour from AMD in Thurrock.

Over to you! Hope I'm not being too vague, and sorry to impose, but all advice would be gratefully recieved! Thanks!

I would say Chris Adams @adamss24 may know something about tuning this.
I would be worried about the state of the engine though with all that stuff in the coolant system and the state of the head gaskets.

Karl.

Last edited:
when its all apart get a hose and give the motor a right good flushing with the thermostat removed. Flush out the heater matrix etc too.

Beachbuggy does a nice hybrid range for these engines. K250 is the cheap sensible option, but you can go bigger if you like. I proibably wouldnt go any larger than a K280, as the A4 turbo housing is quite restrictive.

K250 will need injectors (C20LET vauxhall ones are common, cheap and work well enough), 3" MAF from a VR6 Golf, and then you'll want a decent exhaust, with sports or decat, and then once its all together you'll need it mapped. If you go with the K280 you might need bigger injectors than the C20LET's

The mapping is tricky, as these old ECU's arent flashable. The easiest way is probably to get an early AGU A3 ECU as these can be flashed and take it to RTech for a tune. If you fit just the turbo/intercooler/exhaust, you'll be able to drive it around fairly safely on the stock tune, and have the injectors and MAF housing ready for when it goes for mapping.

You'll get a front mounted intercooler in behind the stock bumper, just takes a bit of cutting/tweaking/fiddling.

Beachbuggy does a nice hybrid range for these engines. K250 is the cheap sensible option, but you can go bigger if you like. I proibably wouldnt go any larger than a K280, as the A4 turbo housing is quite restrictive.

Hi Aragorn, I'm glad you're still around!

What size are the C20LET injectors? Do you know a reliable supplier? And will introducing a new ECU not bring immobilizer issues, or is it plug and play (ish?)

Also, and forgive me for this; who is Beachbuggy?

Thanks!

Yep still here!

C20LET's are 320cc and will easily do 250hp. Easiest source is ebay, they come from 90's Turbo vauxhall engines (Cavalier and Calibra Turbo) usually get a set for 30-40quid. Another option are "Saab reds" which are a little larger at 350cc. The A4 runs a 4 bar pressure regulator as standard, which adds about 15% to the rated value of the injectors. Thus the 320cc Vauxhall injectors will flow around 370cc.

There are potentially ECU/Immo issues. If your lucky, the two should pair up fairly easily with the correct tools (Vagtacho) If your unlucky (TQS's are bad for this) you might have to erase the immo from the ECU to get the car working. Its worth it to gain the flashable ECU though.

Beachbuggy is a guy on this forum, whos taken to building hybrid turbos. Well known on here and the A3 section, makes good stuff. He has a website here:
http://www.beachbuggyturbo.co.uk/hybrid-turbo-10-c.asp The turbos listed on there are for the A3, but he can do an A4 version of most of them :)

Cheers guys; what's the advantage of Vauxhall injectors versus Audi items? I've got a feeling Beachbuggy was starting to appear on here before I vanished. I like the look of the bits on his website... I see no reason not to drop several hundred quid on a new turbo if it renews my interest in the car.

Better than buying a new car!

The vauxhall ones are simply larger, and the correct fitment, and cheap and commonly available.

The Stock AEB ones are 220cc IIRC.

As usual with these things, a few different values end up floating around.

350 and 380 are both knocking around online.

While the great reassembly goes ahead it occurred to me that I may as well fit an uprated snub mount while the front end is off.

May I please have your recommendations for suppliers? Plan is to mail order to fit on Saturday. Cheers.

The Audi OEM part for an RS4 is about 15quid and much more substantial.

Excellent! I didn't realise a V6 item would fit. That's handy. I'm in e-mail contact with one of the parts guys at my local dealer. What's the chance that they'll actually know what I mean when I say "snub mount for an RS4"?

EDIT: Just found Part No. 8D0199339E. Lovely.

8D0199339E :)
Nice one. Could well make a decent difference right out the box.
I'm starting to get the upgrade bug here, aren't I? If I start driving this thing around and I find that it IS the head gasket that was causing me woe all along, I'll probably end up...... fixing the damn thing.