This Cold Weather

S3Bangs

Reaction score
Now I know this might sound a little anal, but now that we are getting sub zero temperatures, I'm beginnning to get apprehensive and cautious bout the banana.

I have to say that in all the years I've owned cars, I've never felt this insecure going in to the winter months. I just have this feeling that somethings gonna go pop in the middle of nowhere at -5 degrees, hence the reason I now have 3 coats in the boot.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Notably, the most common fault I've found out in this cold weather is the dreaded coil pack!! Apparently Aston Green have 35 Audis on their forecourt waiting for replacements. That is so shameful! I must admit I've never had one go, but will buy 2 or 3 nonetheless

Are there any other things to be wary of or lookout for? As at now the car is working very fine but still (and I say this cautiously here) its an Audi!

I have drastically reduced the amount of times I take the car to work now for fear of being stranded on the M1 or summin, but I also take solace in the fact that my A3, never gave me a days problem.

Does anyone else feel the same or I'm just being overly cautious or talking thru my nads again.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm in total agreement! since the temps have been hitting the minus figures i've already noticed at least two new problems, namely the diverter valve (i think from advice posted on AS.net) and theres a strange knocking coming from underneath the car. Am booking it in today for a health test!

My car is only just coming up to a year old, but I haven't got any problems with it apart from an annoying rattle.

I am actually really enjoying driving it in the icey/snowy conditions due to the amazing grip. No unusual noises etc... hope I am not just lucky?

S3Bangs, maybe you have one of those random cars that everything is destined to go wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Probably not though. I think you have just been a little unlucky?

My mate had a BMW 318I (company car so he had no choice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and the car was at the dealer for 6 months of the 18 that he had it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Although a coil-pack has not yet gone my car. A dealer I spoke to recently told me that the high amount of coil-pack failures (over christmas etc) is due to the cold weather. "Put you car in a garage" were his words. Luckily, mine is tucked away each night in its little home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AL

Thats ok if you have 1, I park mine in the road each night, what do I have to own a garage now to own an Audi? soulds like he was talking sh*t. The coil packs fail because of poor quality manufacture from suppliers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rich,

Well keeping it a garage isn't really going to help IMO, the air temp in there still goes down to below zero. But, yeah, sub-standard manufacture or design fault etc. but maybe the cold weather accelerates the problem?

AL

Well..

I cant really say that the Banana is a lemon really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Not really had any major faults except the Haldex ECU which has been changed and hasn't given a days prob since its been done (This was a known common fault on S3's anyway, tho maybe not as bad as coil packs)... The car is now 19 months old and just has about 14k miles on the clock (not really a lot is it)..

Amazingly theres not one squeak in it (apart from the brakes), however, considering the low mileage, I've changed the brakes, 3 tyres, about to change another 2, centre console now opens on its own going over a bump, and a few niggly things have happened in the past which I just cant remember right now. Being the newest car I've ever bought and most expensive, considering all thats happened and all I keep hearing on here, I think my insecurities can be justified atimes.

My cars also outta warranty, though I have one I bought from some other company. However, the thought of something going pop unannounced still gives me the sh$ts.

My TT Coilpacks will be up for grabs shortly!

I'm reverting to a central coilpack running HT leads, far more reliable!

My engine's controlled by independent DTA management so I can do it without a problem.

If anyone's interested in the Coilpacks when they're available then let me know.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Alex...

Think I'll be fair in saying give me a tenner and I'll take em off u /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif... they're going to fail sometime right?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My car is always garaged, even when at work (underground car park), so that may be a reason for me not having any problems. When I take the car out of the garage it has never shown below 5C even when it is -3C outside.

Looking at the running costs of an S3 though, that is a different issue. I am worried about the potential costs and I thought they would be lower than my dad's costs with his 330Ci.

I think I will be proven wrong there! I expect that my first service will cost £350+ (330Ci = £150), I have replace all 4 tyres already (13k), and I am constantly worried about potential clutch problems and the fact that it is not covered by the warranty (330Ci = covered).

If this turns out to be the case, I will sell next year and buy a 330Ci /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Moff,
I was thinkin of changing if I get fed up, to a 330ci myself (I've had 3 BMW's 325i 325iSport and a 325i topless in the past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif) but with all the abuse hurled at BMW drivers, not being a 4WD and the fact that about 2 weeks ago, I actually caned one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif (We both had this knowing look at the lights side by side.. I had a slightly bad start mind you, but by third into fourth gear, I was ******* over him.. and believe me he was trying hard), tell me what other options I may have and please dont say Scooby!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
The M3 is nice but still overpriced I think and is also still a 2WD and most importantly, still a BMW.

I have one either on its way out, or gone by now !!!!!!! Apparantly I am going to have a mare trying to get hold of another /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't understand enough about it, but hoping I don't get stranded in Manchester!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Alex...

Think I'll be fair in saying give me a tenner and I'll take em off u /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif... they're going to fail sometime right?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, tempting Tony! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was ******* over him.. and believe me he was trying hard

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. Although my car is not chipped and I think I might struggle head to head with a manual 330Ci. My dad thinks that my S3 feels faster than his 330 but his is an Auto.

There are no other cars available IMO. I drove an STi on a track recently and I loved it. BUT it was on a track and the inside ia awful, running costs are way to high and it has no class.

The only other car that I would contemplate would be an R32. Its had great reviews, but it is only a VW, and not a prestige brand like a Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc. I wish a comany like Jaguar would have the balls to make a car in the £20-30k range that is a proper sports car, but with luxury. The X-Type is pants, a glorified Mondeo.

I dunno /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The things that I've noticed are that it's really tricky to change into 2nd initially, and the battery is struggling.
My local dealer (Harold Wood)asked me in for a "free" winter check so I may give that a go for a laugh.

Cheers

Ben

Honestly, as it was 'born' in Spain I can't believe mine can be bothered to start in the mornings (well, at night). At the moment i'm using it every couple of days and only for 2 minute trips. I feel so sorry for it that i let it warm up and then take it for a 'walk' round some of its favourite roads and a 2 minute drive ends up being 20 but what the hell.....going through optimax at an alarming rate considering im not actually driving anywhere /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Starting it at the moment is a nightmare. It fires up well enough - takes maybe a second but then it was a little weak in the summer anyway. The real problem is how cold it is inside - wish i had remote start. I get in - turn the key, spin the seats up to "6", turn on the rear demist and then curl up into a little ball for 10 mins or so....horrible!!

BRRRRRRRRR!!!

Inigo

Inigo,

And that ****** climate control.. its always dead.. and I mean completely kaput for the first ten minutes of my early morning drive unless I put it up manually.. the heated seats take a while to start warmin my nads by which time I've got a numb bum and gnattering teeth! Oh this car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still love it tho!!

[ QUOTE ]
the heated seats take a while to start warmin my nads by which time I've got a numb bum and gnattering teeth! Oh this car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Still love it tho!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have u guys never heard of remote starting, allot of the Clifford Alarms have it but you can also get a seperate system fitted. About 5-10 mins before you leave start her up and she'll be warm when you get it to start your journey! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alex,

I wouldnt mind doing this if its poss to keep the standard setup on it.. I hate modifying cars too much beyond their standard form.. its just me I know and about how much d'ya think it would cost / time to do it? If its not a bother, I'd deff get it done.

Cheers

Know what you mean about being paranoid about a coilpack going, especially when you know you're probably going to have a long wait for a replacement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

The other problem with this weather is the fact that your car gets caked in salt after five minutes of driving. I hate driving around in a filthy car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. You don't even want to wash it because it seems like a wasted effort (still do it though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif).

Christian

[ QUOTE ]
Alex,

I wouldnt mind doing this if its poss to keep the standard setup on it.. I hate modifying cars too much beyond their standard form.. its just me I know and about how much d'ya think it would cost / time to do it? If its not a bother, I'd deff get it done.

Cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Check this out!

http://www.alarm-a-car.co.uk/main/remote.htm

this should help

[ QUOTE ]
Inigo,
And that ****** climate control.. its always dead.. and I mean completely kaput for the first ten minutes of my early morning drive unless I put it up manually..

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't think the heater will work until the coolant has some heat that it pump into the car. If you use the Climate Control jiggery pokery and select option 51, I think the heating kicks in when that reaches about 40°C

No °C
You know when you use the CC to get to the 'diagnostic data'.
Option 51 is labelled as Coolant temp, but seeing how it only ever gets as high as 75°C on mine and the temp gauge on the dash shows 90°C I'm thinking it maybe oil temp.

Anyway, I had turned it on this morning to see just how cold the oil was ( if this is indeed oil temp ) when I started the car this morning ( incidentally it was 3°C ). I noticed that the fan for the Climate kicked in about 5 mins into my journey, I think this was reading about 40°C.
I'm thinking it is more likely that the climate control providing heat is dependant on coolant temp, but you don't see the temperature of that until it gets over 60°C

Ahhh, for second I thought you meant external temperature /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is it true that CC only works when the external temp is 5C or above?

I heard that.
I think it was something to do with protecting the compressor that pumps the refrigerant.
I guess when heat is required that would be provided by the engine.

Not by any means certain of this but it kind of makes sense.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that CC only works when the external temp is 5C or above?

[/ QUOTE ]Not that I know of...It seems to work when the engines a bit warm, I also know the Aircon compressor wont work below a certain temp.. Not sure what though... think its in the manual somewhere.

The manual says it won't work below 5 C, but in practice I find it won't work at sub-zero temperatures.

Funily, I reported my Climate Control as defective bacause of this, and they stripped the unit down before realising it was 'operating within normal parameters'. Since the garage didn't know about it I didn't feel bad about not knowing either!

Dan

The aircon won't come on below about 5 degrees or so. It can't remove water from the air below these temperatures, so it's effectively useless. I believe it's nothing to do with protecting it, since it is a refigerant system /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As for the climate, yes, it won't increase the fan speed until the engine coolant is warm enough to actually start warming the car.

Final point... phew. About the various CC readouts, I too thought that one of them (think it was 51) was oil temperature. Someone pointed out that it might be engine block temperature rather than actual coolant temperature, so I don't know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I must admit, having access to engine oil temperature would be nice.