1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Third brake light

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AlexStanley, Oct 29, 2008.

1. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[Oct 29, 2008]
    Does anybody know how to change the bulbs in the third brake light? One of mine - right in the middle - isn't lighting up anymore :(
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 28, 2014]

3. lucksta

lucksta Audi OCD

[Oct 29, 2008]
    You've gotta pull off all the interior trim on the tail gate. Without going outside into the arctic weather to have a look, I think there's a couple of screws and then the rest is held on with the metal clips Audi loves to use. A word of warning though, I cracked mine pulling it off because those clips are damd strong, so I would recommend getting a trim remover tool. You may have to change the whole light unit as it's made up of LED's soldered onto a board, or source an LED (Maplins?) and solder it in yourself.
  4. mike_plymouth

mike_plymouth Member

[Oct 30, 2008]
    depends on the age poss because i had to change a bulb on mine a couple of weeks ago and it was just push in bulbs, not LED's, cost 1.79 eash or someting silly like that at halfords. i cant remember the bulb number but its quiet easy to do, just be careful you dont break the plastic trim in the boot or loose those little push out clips inside the tailgate itself
  5. benr

benr Member

[Oct 30, 2008]
    On my facelift they are push in bulbs too.

Pain in the arsh to get to but take ur time and its pretty simple